Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to Aer Lingus transfer at LGW - questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
AA to Aer Lingus transfer at LGW - questions

I have an upcoming trip where I am going LAX-LGW on AA and then LGW-DUB on EI, on separate tickets. Some information would be very useful:
1) Can the transfer at Gatwick be done airside, or will I have to go landside?
2) Can I check baggage through to Dublin, with two separate tickets?
3) Any chance of getting EI boarding bass at AA checkin (again with separate tickets)?

- Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
I have an upcoming trip where I am going LAX-LGW on AA and then LGW-DUB on EI, on separate tickets. Some information would be very useful:
3) Any chance of getting EI boarding bass at AA checkin (again with separate tickets)?

- Thanks!
http://www.gatwickairport.com/portal...0357e120a____/
Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)

Thanks, but I was aware of this - the link says that I will have to clear immigration at Gatwick. At LHR, going to Ireland, you also have to clear immigration whichever way you connect, but there is an airside connection. Is there a similar airside connection at LGW? Also, link does not address my second and third questions.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:25 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
If you transfer "airside" you will still have to go through security. Or you can enter the UK through immigration, then come back in through security as an originating passenger. If it were me I'd probably just stay airside by going through flight connections.
Yes. At original checkin at LAX, show 'em both tickets and they can check the bags all the way through.
Unlikely. EI is no longer part of OneWorld.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Be aware that AA arrives at the North Terminal and I think EI departs from the South Terminal.

Spike
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLT
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
If you transfer "airside" you will still have to go through security. Or you can enter the UK through immigration, then come back in through security as an originating passenger. If it were me I'd probably just stay airside by going through flight connections.
You can't not go through immigration since you are not connecting internationally. Apart from the common history, the UK and Ireland are tied by a common passport area agreement (and a stubborn insistency not to join Schengen, which would make things easier for everyone), which means you have to somehow enter the area, either through Ireland or the UK. There is no passport/ID check between the UK and Ireland, so the passport check will have to be at your entry point. So in any case, you have to pass immigration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.