if a flight is cancelled does flight crew get paid?

Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm certain that AA would entertain cost-neutral proposals to change the method by which the FAs are compensated. But since the FAs agreed to the current methods many years ago and the scheme seems to be working for AA, I sincerely doubt any significant changes are on the horizon.

Yes, certain cancellations will result in no pay for the FAs for that flight. Since it's highly unlikely that such cancellations will result in wage savings for AA (meaning the W-2 earnings of the affected FAs WON'T CHANGE due to the rare cancellations) due to the complex system of work rules and minimum monthly guarantees, the current system ain't gonna change.
I agree with you that AA isn't going to give it up for free in negotiations.

I disagree that the cancellations won't cause a change in my, and most of my colleagues, W-2 earnings. Very few of us fly only the guarantee. I fly about 10-15 hours above guarantee and most of my friends fly about 30-40 hours above guarantee. The only reason it might not have an effect on AA's wage payments, or our earnings, for the year is that when we lose trips we usually have to bust our butts to fly the hours we lost in the next month while hoping for no more cancellations. There isn't a minimum monthly guarantee unless you only fly your schedule. Once you start trading your guarantee is busted and you only get paid for what you fly.

Now, if any of us were to get sick and go on workman's comp we would be paid ONLY our contractual guarantee and not the overtime we normally fly.

Last edited by AAFA; Jan 25, 2008 at 11:32 am
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:10 am

A pilot can notice a maintenance issue. Or, if they're not paid for cancellations, they can decide that making the rent that month is more critical than the maintenance item that (probably) won't cause a problem. (Keep in mind, most pilots not pay protected are regional, and therefore a bit tight on cash.) Do you want the issue of money floating through the pilots' heads as they decide whether it is safe to go?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by piggy
A pilot can notice a maintenance issue. Or, if they're not paid for cancellations, they can decide that making the rent that month is more critical than the maintenance item that (probably) won't cause a problem. (Keep in mind, most pilots not pay protected are regional, and therefore a bit tight on cash.) Do you want the issue of money floating through the pilots' heads as they decide whether it is safe to go?
Yes, I can see it now.
If I dont fly this flight, I am going to lost $200, so I am not going to report the flaps don't seem to be working correctly or the brakes feel mushy.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:54 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
no, they're not.
WHat happens if the flight takes off, is diverted, and then the rest of the journey to the destination is cancelled iin the city it was diverted to?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by piggy
The mx item that 'probably' won't cause a problem should then not cause a cancellation. Not all mx items cause cancellations, in fact most don't. Safety is the no 1 priority in any professional pilots mind, even the regionals. You don't have anything to worry about
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by AEpilot76
The mx item that 'probably' won't cause a problem should then not cause a cancellation. Not all mx items cause cancellations, in fact most don't. Safety is the no 1 priority in any professional pilots mind, even the regionals. You don't have anything to worry about
Begging your pardon, and I realize that it's that way most of the time (perhaps even all the time with you, if your handle means what it seems to), but when someone tells me I don't have to worry - that's exactly when I start worrying.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by Efrem
Begging your pardon, and I realize that it's that way most of the time (perhaps even all the time with you, if your handle means what it seems to), but when someone tells me I don't have to worry - that's exactly when I start worrying.
Feel free to worry all you want, you'll just end up with an ulcer. I don't recall an accident occuring (in the united states anyway) because a pilot failed to write something up for fear of not making this months rent. I'm in the same plane as the 200 pax behind me which means I'm the first one to arrive at the scene of the accident. My life and the lives of my passengers and crew mean more to me than a couple hundred dollars lost by a mx cxl.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.