Wiki Posts
Search

DFW-NRT what to expect

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
I just flew NRT-JFK last week....I was stunned at the presence of an FA on the crew who must have been mid-20's. The one assigned to us though was more in the "ridden on the trail hard, and put away wet" category.

It can be a shock coming from CX/BA/GF biz class to interact with the American FA's. My wife asked when the IFE would start and she scolded her for not hearing the PA announcement about it, which I had caught but was short and kind of confusing.

That said she was super attentive and competent and brought wine/food/etc efficiently, was always on top of everything. Just a slightly different "tone" to it that I can see might rile some people used to a more Asian concept of customer service.

And since the OP is wondering. It's a toss up, but mine was a 77 with the old seats, which was a mini let down (I sleep a lot better on the new ones) but wasn't so bad...
Where you been, Eddie?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Where you been, Eddie?
Lots of flying, drinking a little Fresca, and otherwise kicking back. You know how we do...

Happy new year!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Lots of flying, drinking a little Fresca, and otherwise kicking back. You know how we do...

Happy new year!
Flailing about, you might say.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

You know how we do...
Kickin' it old school at Diddy's White Party, yo?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Flailing about, you might say.
Nah pretty well organized if I do say so myself.

Glad to see the AA gang's still in too form, happy new year to you too.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 3:38 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
this is my favorite aa f experience. i am flying kix-dfw and i am the only passenger in first. i get on the plane and get settled. the flight attendants are in the forward galley talking. i look into business and they are serving champagne and oj. i wait awhile thinking one of them will tear themselves away from their conversation and offer to hang my coat and offer me champagne. after 5 minutes or so i finally walk up and interrupt them and ask for some champagne. their response " we thought you didn't want any".

after the meal service the rest of the flight may as well been self service.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:52 pm

JL vs AA

I just flew ORD-NRT with JL and NRT-ORD with AA during the Christmas holiday. I don't know about business class, but I flew in Y, so entertainment and seats were pretty much the same. But, what a HUGE difference in service and the attitudes of the FAs. JL definitely won in these departments.

I'm not going to touch the difference in the age of the FAs since it's already been discussed here, but there are a few notable examples from that particular flight:

In JL:
- FAs looked so fresh in the beginning, middle, and end of the flight. They smiled when serving the pax.
In AA:
- FAs looked grumpy and tired even before the flight left the gate. They just threw food trays on the tray table.

In JL:
- FAs helped pax put stuff in the overhead bins. Some pax didn't store their belongings properly, FAs climbed and rearranged bags so that the overhead bin could be closed.
In AA:
- FAs ordered people around to make sure the bins could be closed. To some pax who didn't speak English, they tended to yell... as if yelling would make the pax understand English better. I didn't expect them to climb, but asking pax nicely would have been a good thing.

In JL:
- FAs were present for the duration of the flight to pass out snacks and drinks.
In AA:
- FAs were gone after the first meal was served. They came back again for the second meal. I wondered where they were hiding throughout the flight.

So... from my experience, JL is definitely way better than AA in terms of service. I had to choose AA because JL was not available for return. It was award tickets. But, if I pay for the tickets, I will definitely choose JL over AA.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Seems like a pretty objective assessment of recent attitudes and behaviors
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
There is very little comparison between being in biz on the upper deck of a 744 and biz on a 777. That being said, I'd take JL at every opportunity. I'd even think seriously about JL ORD-NRT-PVG versus nonstop ORD-PVG on AA if I had a choice on that kind of routing.

I have had some very, very good individual FAs on AA transpac flights, but not an entire crew. You just cannot replicate the calm, serene cabin of JL on AA - and in my opinion, that's the single biggest differentiator between the two products, especially if comparing NGBC planes on AA.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
Thanks for all the replies.
I have changed my flight to leave from SFO to NRT with JL, could not get seats from ORD. I still have to get from BOS to SFO in a 757, at least I will have the trans Pacific portion in JL.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 7:12 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
My wife and daughter took this flight in J to join me for a December-January vacation last month, then used JL to reach BKK. Our returns to the US were on CX. My wife remarked SEVERAL times on the qualitative differences between the AA service and that on JL and then CX. AA service did not strike her as "service" so much as "directions", especially after seeing CX in action.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by cordata
Are you saying the FAs could not speak English? Or are you saying they spoke both English and Japanese and you were impressed positively by this?
Well they all did speak Japanese and most of them understood English or made every attempt to understand not only me but any others who spoke English. Of course that flight has a lot of US military and family going to and from Okinawa. But I was just trying to say how they went above the call of duty to take care of me on my comment. I had moved over to a different row away from my family to get more room as the flight was not full. Not only did the FA explain it to me but the went to my wife and explained it to her so she could tell me if I did not understand her. That impressed me. I do not think I would get the same response on AA

Joel
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Wilbur
My wife and daughter took this flight in J to join me for a December-January vacation last month, then used JL to reach BKK. Our returns to the US were on CX. My wife remarked SEVERAL times on the qualitative differences between the AA service and that on JL and then CX. AA service did not strike her as "service" so much as "directions", especially after seeing CX in action.

Now if we could only get anybody from AA In-flight to read these comments and actually take corrective action, that would be something..., but most likely, if they even read this, they will think, well, we are still better than UA
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by bl4666
I have changed my flight to leave from SFO to NRT with JL, could not get seats from ORD. I still have to get from BOS to SFO in a 757, at least I will have the trans Pacific portion in JL.
Could you do BOS-JFK-SFO? This way you get the 762/763
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by bl4666
A very good decision! You'll be glad you changed it to JL. Chances are you'll enjoy the flight with JL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.