First MR Any Tips ?

Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
First MR Any Tips ?

Off on my first MR later this month to hit Plat for the first time (tail end of a challenge started last year that didn't exactly go to plan).
Very straightforward LHR ORD (long layover meeting friend then) ORD BOS overnight at BOS then the day connection BOS JFK LHR. Can only be away Saturday and Sunday as in the middle of a training course for the next 6 weeks.
Anything I should know-and how do I answer the question -what are you going to be doing in Boston ? from immigration-do I just say "Meeting up with a friend" ?
Packing list is laptop, books and a change of clothes and of course perfume so carry on only obviously and have despatched prayers for no snow storms !!
Any other tips gratefully recieved (and the email address of someone willing to donate an expiring evip in exchange for English chocolate (I wish ! I'll make do with my sticker upgrade ORD BOS instead lol)
Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by duchy
Anything I should know-and how do I answer the question -what are you going to be doing in Boston ? from immigration-do I just say "Meeting up with a friend" ?
No. Never lie to authorities. I usually say it is a "personal" trip, or for "pleasure." If they press me, or ask why I'm there for so little time, I explain about my MR. Most of them just shrug or smile and shake their heads and wave me through. The most important thing is, ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH!

Packing list is laptop, books and a change of clothes and of course perfume so carry on only obviously and have despatched prayers for no snow storms !!
Any other tips gratefully recieved (and the email address of someone willing to donate an expiring evip in exchange for English chocolate (I wish ! I'll make do with my sticker upgrade ORD BOS instead lol)
Don't forget the DVDs to watch on your laptop! BOSE headphones if you have them, or some other noise-canceling headphones. You also might consider bringing a sleep pill (over-the-counter is fine) so you don't return completely exhausted. I also strongly recommend bringing low-dose aspirin. I pop half an aspirin each day when I'm on a MR to reduce the risk of DVT and other blood clots.

If you're concerned about catching something on your flights, you can bring vitamin C and/or zinc. Many folks find Airborne and Zicam convenient (as I do). Obviously don't take them at the same time.

Have a look over on the MR Discussion forum. Lots more tips there.

Safe travels!
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:10 pm

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by ESpen36
BOSE headphones if you have them, or some other noise-canceling headphones.
... and don't forget them in your seat when deplaning somewhere as one particular numb-skull here has done ...
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:59 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Nothing wrong with saying the truth---on a mileage run, doing it for the miles, I need the miles, etc.

For MR packing, less is more. If you're bringing "books", think on how many are you really going to read. For laptops, yep, bring the DVD's along & the headphones...AND either the extra batteries and/or recharging stuff. And yep, it's winter, and you're connecting thru ORD, JFK, and BOS--so yeah, good that you've dispatched anti-storm prayers, but wise to have AA's res. number handy and/or be aware of alternate routings along your way to inquire of when you call.

Enjoy it! It's a decent time to catch up on reading & movies, sleep, etc.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks -some good tips. I usually buy several paperbacks from charity/thrift shops and discard them along the way somewhere (lounge, coffeeshop etc) for the next traveller in need of something to read to find. I know I've appreciated it when others have done the same and I've run out of reading matter.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
On a recent trip to somewhere, connecting through LHR, we decided to clear customs and use the Fast Track security rather than use FCC. On the immigration card I listed my address in London as "LHR." When asked how long I would be in the UK, I said "about an hour." No problems at all.

Cheers.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by duchy
...how do I answer the question -what are you going to be doing in Boston ?...
Very simple. "I'm spending the night here, because my flight to London leaves tomorrow morning." You won't be the first person to have had an overnight connection, or the last. Were you to say "Meeting up with a friend," for example, the natural follow-on is "What's your friend's name? Where are you meeting?" and it can go rapidly from bad to worse. There is nothing at all unusual about what you are doing, at least as regards the overnight stay in Boston, and no reason at all to make up stories.

A few years back I was turning around in Perth on a mileage run. This was before Australia had electronic entry permits, so I filled out a landing card. Answers like "Address in Australia: none," "Time you will be in Australia: 2 1/2 hours," and "Reason for visit: other," aroused the immigration agent's curiosity. I explained what I was doing. He figured that I might be crazy but probably wasn't a security threat, so he let me in. An hour and a half later, as I came back the other way after a short walk through the car park and buying a T-shirt, the same agent spotted me from the far end of the wide hall. He stood on his chair, waved a newspaper in the air, and shouted "Come on over here so you don't have to explain it again to anyone else!"

Can anyone imagine an immigration agent in any other country doing that?
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
...the same agent spotted me from the far end of the wide hall. He stood on his chair, waved a newspaper in the air, and shouted "Come on over here so you don't have to explain it again to anyone else!"

That's pretty cool.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I guess not too many people fly to Australia, especially Perth, for a MR.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
BTW, there are really people who fly international turnaround same day on business. I did that many times to TPE and PVG (from HKG) just for lunch meetings.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I guess not too many people fly to Australia, especially Perth, for a MR.
It was the summer 2000 oneWorld promo where you got 100,000 miles for traveling to all six continents on oneWorld airlines. The cheapest way to pick up Asia and Australia was NW to SIN, then QF to/from PER. The fact that U.S.-Asia wasn't on oneWorld didn't matter for the promo, since returning to SIN from PER counted for Asia, and I landed in North America on AA several times in other travel during the promo period.

I've been back since, for longer, by choice. Perth might not be on my suggested itinerary for a first-time visitor to Australia who has just two weeks or so, but it's an interesting and lovely area to visit - not just for the miles!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Very simple. "I'm spending the night here, because my flight to London leaves tomorrow morning." You won't be the first person to have had an overnight connection, or the last. Were you to say "Meeting up with a friend," for example, the natural follow-on is "What's your friend's name? Where are you meeting?" and it can go rapidly from bad to worse. There is nothing at all unusual about what you are doing, at least as regards the overnight stay in Boston, and no reason at all to make up stories.
I wasn't intending to "make up stories" I AM meeting a friend in Chicago (my point of entry) for lunch -the question was more whether to volunteer it's a MR or not first off.
Very cool Australian story-and very belevable too from my experiences in Australia

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.