Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

First time on AA, flying to the Dominican Republic. What should I expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2007, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards

Hey guys thought I might be able to get some sage advice. I usually fly Continental but I just booked a package (Another first) for a week in the Dominican Republic and it included air on AA. It was to cheap to pass up so away I go. I'm flying in economy on flights AA #0619 AA #5111 and AA #0586. Is there on board entertainment or food? What about pillows and blankets? Any way to get lounge access? Any and all advice would be great.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
Hey guys thought I might be able to get some sage advice. I usually fly Continental but I just booked a package (Another first) for a week in the Dominican Republic and it included air on AA. It was to cheap to pass up so away I go. I'm flying in economy on flights AA #0619 AA #5111 and AA #0586.
Is there on board entertainment or food?
communal entertainment and food for purchase

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...irbus_A300.php

What about pillows and blankets?
grab one when walking through F cabin

Any way to get lounge access?
on what basis? (day pass is $50 for 1 or $75 for 2)

Any and all advice would be great.
enjoy Dominican Republic!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Most of Narcirema's advice is good.

Do not grab a blanket or pillow from F. Not cool. Or if you like his way of thinking, just grab a seat in F. Might as well while you are at it
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
619 is an Airbus (AB6) and you will enter through the second door so it is not possible to steal a pillow or blanket from the Business Class cabin.

Flight 5111 is an ATR so no food, blanket, pillow on this short flight to SJU.

Flight 586 is a 757 and depending on what door they use to board you may or may not be able to steal a blanket or pillow from the Business Class cabin.

There will be food for purchase on flights 619 and 586.

No lounge access except for paying for it as mentioned above. May be worth it for the 6 hour layover in SJU; however other than snack food like nuts, free non-alcoholic beverages and a quieter area, there is not much to the SJU Admirals Club IMO.

AA onboard entertainment consists of Eye on American which is about 50% commercials for CBS TV shows and other stuff. If you have a laptop (or other PED) bring it along with DVDs and a Auto/Air power adapter if you have one and pick out seats that have power outlets. See http://www.seatguru.com to find seats with power outlets.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Dec 30, 2007 at 7:05 am
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I highly recommend finding your way to Business class for the trip. I know it sounds snobby, but I really don't mean it that way, however, trips to SDQ in Y give traveling with the masses a whole new meaning (and FA attitude plainly reflects that). That said, J is nothing special but it will keep you at the front of the line.

Also, take a look at other flights, there are many direct flights and much better connections than 6h in SJU.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by pjoalfa
I highly recommend finding your way to Business class for the trip. I know it sounds snobby, but I really don't mean it that way, however, trips to SDQ in Y give traveling with the masses a whole new meaning (and FA attitude plainly reflects that). That said, J is nothing special but it will keep you at the front of the line.

Also, take a look at other flights, there are many direct flights and much better connections than 6h in SJU.
The problem may be that since s/he bought a package there may not be any options for upgrading or changing flights. Some of those airfares associated with packages are very restrictive. That said, it doesn't hurt to ask or try to change flights. Flight 586 actually originates in SDQ so that would be a much better option and eliminates the ATR entirely. Even if it cost $100 change fee it might well be worth it to allow one to chill at the hotel/resort instead of the SDQ or SJU airports. Good luck!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:58 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
As pjoalfa pointed, the only way that you will have a pleasant flight will be in J. AA619 has been for me the most painful flight in Y, people rush the boarding area and it's even hard for the J and Elite passengers to board, service is the worst AA can give you but this is because the FA's respond to the behavior of the Y passengers. Same thing will happen with AA5111. If you get an AC daypass, you can check with if you can grab a J seat on AA586 if there are left after all the elites are upgraded. I've done it before and you pay around US$50 for every 500-miles.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade

There will be food for purchase on flights 619 and 586.
I thought they served Breakfast on AA619, or at least they always did. Did AA got rid of the complimentary meal service on flights to/from SDQ? that will be bad, and another reason for many Y passengers to switch to DL or CO.

Last edited by SDQBound; Dec 30, 2007 at 9:59 am Reason: quoting
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by B7e7US
I thought they served Breakfast on AA619
It does, my bad.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
AC access of Amex Plat/Centurion holder.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The A300 has rows 4 and 5 which are somewhat section off from the rest of Y (kind of like a little cubbie hole). If you can't upg, try for those seats. To let you know the A300s look like something vintage 1972 and are very prone to mechnical delays. AA does throw some blankets (no pillows even in J) around the Y cabin. However, if you are in the first few rows of Y, you will be the last group to board (maybe group 7?), which means the blankets (which are quite nasty) will most likely be gone.

Does AA still serve food in Y? Thought the Caribbean had all gone to BOB.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Just to add, food or no food, don't touch it ex-SDQ. It's just gross. I bring a sandwich in J.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I second the wisdom of shelling out $50 for the AC in San Juan. There's not much there. My advice, if you have 6 hours, is go on the Bacardi factory tour or someting like that. Cost to rent the car will be less than the AC. SJU is not a pleasant airport in which to wile away 6 hours.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
eek!

AA sounds ghastly! Oh well. There were other flights available but they all cost significantly more or offered even worse connection times. For some reason the direct flight wasn't available on the return at any price. Are exit rows available for non-elites?

Sad thing is I don't have miles with even one oneworld carrier, so basically I will have 3400 orphaned miles now. Oh well, I could use a Fincial Times subscription anyway.

Just checked my res on AA.com I'm booked into N class.

Last edited by gradvmedusa; Dec 30, 2007 at 2:56 pm
Old Dec 30, 2007, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
You can always hope that the kiosk is selling day-of-travel upgrades for cash. I'd consider it worthwhile. And, unlike most on this board, I happen to think the AB6 (in first/business) is the nicest of the short-pitch premium cabins, as it's nice and wide, but with as few seats as an MD-80.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
My advice: You got a discount ticket. Enjoy the discount. You won't get a pillow or a blanket or lounge access. And on the ATR you won't even get tolerable legroom.

Enjoy the flight and the discount. Anything else is pure gravy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.