Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STPC rules on AA - who pays stopover lodging etc.?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:26 am
Original Poster

STPC rules on AA - who pays stopover lodging etc.?

Does anyone know what the rules for STPC are? My friend (AA Plat) is flying JAI-DEL-ORD-RDU in business class on AA today. The layover in DEL is 14 hours because that is the best legal connection. AA has refused to provide STPC saying, "we do not provide STPC in India!" He had to pay for hotel, taxi, meals etc. on his own
If someone has the exact IATA regulation on this, I will really appreciate it if you can share it. Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I don't know of any airlines that provide STPC unless it's in the ticket rules.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
STPC: "Airlines provide one night stay of accommodation for flight with no immediate connection within 8 hours to your final destination. On request basis only - 'To advise airline upon initial booking.'" airfares.com.sg. In India, they would be required to provide for a huge number of people - my guess is the ticket detailed fare rules would indicate STPC status; what did they say on yours?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
STPC: "Airlines provide one night stay of accommodation for flight with no immediate connection within 8 hours to your final destination. On request basis only - 'To advise airline upon initial booking.'" airfares.com.sg. In India, they would be required to provide for a huge number of people - my guess is the ticket detailed fare rules would indicate STPC status; what did they say on yours?
I have never known of any ticket rules that specify STPC sepicifically. I think only fares like RTW fares and other special fares that do not allow STPC specify that it is not allowed. I beleive STPC is regulated by IATA based on the connection time. That is why I was seeking advice/help from anyone who has specific knowledge of the IATA regulation governing this.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by satish_ny
I think only fares like RTW fares and other special fares that do not allow STPC specify that it is not allowed. I beleive STPC is regulated by IATA based on the connection time.
I have certainly seen ex-USA and to-USA international fares that prohibit it. Think of all the late evening arrivals at JFK that could have passengers demanding hotel rooms until their 8AM+ connections...
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I have certainly seen ex-USA and to-USA international fares that prohibit it. Think of all the late evening arrivals at JFK that could have passengers demanding hotel rooms until their 8AM+ connections...
I am not disputing that some fares prohibit it. What I said is that if the fare rules do no specifically say that STPC is not available, then by default IATA rules regarding STPC should apply. For an airline to not not provide STPC, they need to specify it in the detailed fare rules. If the fare permits STPC, then it fares rules do not have specify it. To further clarify: this is how I interpret the rules. I am not absolutely certain and that is the reason I am seeking input from members of this forum
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
I don't know of any airlines that provide STPC unless it's in the ticket rules.

My experience is just the opposite: I have used STPC at CDG, LHR, BOM, DXB for connections exceeding 4 hours.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
My experience is just the opposite: I have used STPC at CDG, LHR, BOM, DXB for connections exceeding 4 hours.
With which airlines? Each airline has its own STPC policy.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
With which airlines? Each airline has its own STPC policy.
BA, AF, EK, 9W, DL
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA, AF, EK, 9W, DL
But not AA. Each airline sets its own policy.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Where are the STPC rules for AA stipulated?

After AA pulled the plug on the late-night DFW-MEX flight, I've paid a few thousand dollars on hotel rooms in DFW or MIA when taking the last flight from BOS to DFW/MIA and continuing on the first flight from DFW/MIA to MEX.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
But not AA. Each airline sets its own policy.
How do you know that?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by emcat
Where are the STPC rules for AA stipulated?

After AA pulled the plug on the late-night DFW-MEX flight, I've paid a few thousand dollars on hotel rooms in DFW or MIA when taking the last flight from BOS to DFW/MIA and continuing on the first flight from DFW/MIA to MEX.
I would guess in the rules for the fares.
Something like "STPC: PERMITTED AT NO CHARGE."

"I found this at http://www.twai.com/Fares/downloads/...-VS-GLOBAL.doc "

I also assume, even if in the fare rules, you have to ask for it.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you know that?
How else do you suppose it happens?

I can't find any AA policy, but here is EK's policy.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
What airline is your friend flying on from JAI to DEL? Its not AA and I didn't see any codeshares to/from JAI on AA (could be missing one). If so, I don't see how any airline would have an obligation to provide food/lodging on an interline connection.

As for the overall rule on AA flights, I've done overnight connections at JFK/ORD/DFW/STL and never though AA had any obligations to me, unless it was a misconnect. On some of those occasions, for example, I've taken the last flight into a hub and the first flight out in the morning so I could have full business days on both ends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.