Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STPC rules on AA - who pays stopover lodging etc.?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Add GF to the list of airlines that allow for STPC.

Incidentally, I think that the general IATA rule is that "If a passenger has to wait over 6 hours for an onward connection in IATA areas 2 or 3, you can ask an airline to book a hotel at its own expense". STPC stands for "Stopover Paid By Carrier".

IATA Area 2 consists of all of Europe (including Russian Federation west of the Urals) and adjacent islands, Iceland, the Azores, all of Africa and adjacent islands, Ascension Island, the part of Asia lying west of and including Iran.

IATA Area 3 consists of all of Asia and adjacent islands, except the portion included in Area 2, all of the East Indies, Australia, New Zealand and adjacent islands, the islands of the Pacific Ocean except those included in Area 1.

Last edited by hillrider; Dec 30, 2007 at 12:36 am Reason: Added general IATA rule
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider
Add GF to the list of airlines that allow for STPC.

Incidentally, I think that the general IATA rule is that "If a passenger has to wait over 6 hours for an onward connection in IATA areas 2 or 3, you can ask an airline to book a hotel at its own expense". STPC stands for "Stopover Paid By Carrier".

IATA Area 2 consists of all of Europe (including Russian Federation west of the Urals) and adjacent islands, Iceland, the Azores, all of Africa and adjacent islands, Ascension Island, the part of Asia lying west of and including Iran.

IATA Area 3 consists of all of Asia and adjacent islands, except the portion included in Area 2, all of the East Indies, Australia, New Zealand and adjacent islands, the islands of the Pacific Ocean except those included in Area 1.
Thank you Hillrider. That is also my understanding. And I think that unless an airline specifically says that STPC will not be provided in their fare rules, it has an obligation to provide it in Area 2 and 3 (which includes India).
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
What airline is your friend flying on from JAI to DEL? Its not AA and I didn't see any codeshares to/from JAI on AA (could be missing one). If so, I don't see how any airline would have an obligation to provide food/lodging on an interline connection.

As for the overall rule on AA flights, I've done overnight connections at JFK/ORD/DFW/STL and never though AA had any obligations to me, unless it was a misconnect. On some of those occasions, for example, I've taken the last flight into a hub and the first flight out in the morning so I could have full business days on both ends.
It is on 9W which is not a code share. AA does not have any codeshare flights within India. 9W is a carrier which is specified by the through fare JAI-DEL-ORD-RDU. There was no later flight from JAI to DEL that would allow the connection. JFK/ORD/DFW/STL are not the same as they are not in IATA Area 2 or 3.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
I am confused by this thread. STPC is the standard abbreviation for "short term power control" - what has this got to do with AA?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:51 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
I am confused by this thread. STPC is the standard abbreviation for "short term power control" - what has this got to do with AA?
Read post 16
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by satish_ny
And I think that unless an airline specifically says that STPC will not be provided in their fare rules, it has an obligation to provide it in Area 2 and 3 (which includes India).

If AA has an obligation to provide it, it will be in the Contract of Carriage or fare rules - that's what establishes the contract between buyer and seller. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If AA has an obligation to provide it, it will be in the Contract of Carriage or fare rules - that's what establishes the contract between buyer and seller. Let us know how it turns out.
I think the point is that AA is required by IATA rules to provide it, unless the fare rules specifically state that it will not be provided.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Absolutely

Originally Posted by vasantn
I think the point is that AA is required by IATA rules to provide it, unless the fare rules specifically state that it will not be provided.
I am flying on the return leg from India YYZ-ORD-DEL (Arrives 9.35 PM) to-MAA by 9W ( Leaves at 6.45 AM)Ticket booked at AA.com and I understand that 8W will be code sharing with AA from Jan 7,2008
I feel either 9W provides the STPC as normally done by good airlines or AA provides arrival facilities as normally done by them in lots of airports. United, BA etc etc provide hotel rooms for arrival facilities when they do not have specific arrival facilities. I will keep OP posted of my results
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Talked to AA

I just talked to AA customer service. They discontinued their partnership with IATA 102 rule in May 2007 and WILL not provide STPC.

IATA 102 Stopover Program Ended
May 1, 2007

AA has ended participation in the IATA 102 program, effective for travel on/after March 04, 2007. Previously, AA provided accommodations, meals and surface transportation for international connecting passengers under certain circumstances.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by vasantn
I think we're coming at this from different points intellectually. My view is that if an obligation doesn't exist in the contract between AA and the passenger, and the obligation isn't required by law in a relevant jurisdiction, then AA has no need to provide it.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I think we're coming at this from different points intellectually. My view is that if an obligation doesn't exist in the contract between AA and the passenger, and the obligation isn't required by law in a relevant jurisdiction, then AA has no need to provide it.
Exactly. As indicated in the post quoted below, compliance with IATA rules is voluntary. It's either incorporated into a carrier's contract (with whatever interpretations or modifications they choose to include) or it's not. It's not mandated by law.

Originally Posted by drbala
I just talked to AA customer service. They discontinued their partnership with IATA 102 rule in May 2007 and WILL not provide STPC.

IATA 102 Stopover Program Ended
May 1, 2007

AA has ended participation in the IATA 102 program, effective for travel on/after March 04, 2007. Previously, AA provided accommodations, meals and surface transportation for international connecting passengers under certain circumstances.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Who pays for hotel on overnight connection in NRT?

For a trip in February, I'll be traveling on the following outbound flights:

AA175 DFW-NRT (arrives NRT 2:30PM)
AA5838 NRT-KUL (departs NRT 1:40PM the next day)

Since DFW-NRT AA175 arrives too late to catch the one flight a day to KUL (NRT-KUL AA5838 operated by JL as JL723) on the same day, is it standard policy for AA to pay for the hotel? Or am I on my own and need to make my own reservations?

If anyone has any experience with this sort of overnight layover due to flight schedules, I'd appreciate any information. Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Pretty sure you're on your own. You can either go into Tokyo for the night (MUCH more fun), or stay out by the airport. If you stay by the airport, you can oftentimes get a good internet advance-payment price on the Narita Airport Holiday Inn. If you go into Tokyo, www.japanhotel.net is your friend. I've stayed at the Tokiwa Hotel (clean, basic, reasonably priced) which is a 2 minute walk from Ueno station where the Kesei Skyliner airport train ends.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:44 am

You will pay for the hotel.

Narita Hilton has free shuttle to/from airport and Narita. Narita is kind of fun. Small town with Japanese and western style restaurants/bars. All the international crews hang out in Narita in the evening. If you have some time there is a great park with many traditional temples.

IMHO, unless you know Tokyo, going there for 1 night is a waste of money.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 8:45 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Definitely you. If some sort of mechanical issue caused you to miss a connection and forced an overnight, they'd be on the hook. If you make a booking with an overnight stay, you are responsible for whatever happens between the flights.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.