AC membership vs Amex Plat

Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:56 am
Original Member
Original Poster

AC membership vs Amex Plat

Hi All,

Current EXP and AC member. Honestly, Im not really that impressed with the facilities with most admirals clubs when compared to many intl airlines. Particularly in the area of food and beverages. However, my favorite part about the AC are the AC Angels. They absolutely make my entire travel experience SOOOO much easier. I am however considering thinking about getting a Amex Plat instead of renewing with the AC. Mostly because it still gets me AC access but I also get the other Amex Plat services.

As an EXP and AMEX Plat , could I still expect the same level of service with the Angels as an EXP and AC member. If not, I would much rather renew with the AC.

Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
See this and several other recent threads on the subject.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 8:39 am

I have been both

and find the level of service to be the same.

Two points are:

1. You have to be flying AA to get in to the AC with the Amex Plat card. You can't just go and use it if you're flying another airline, or meeting someone at the airport.

2. AC members get free access to T-Mo hotspot in the USA, Amex people don't.

Aside from those two things, it's a toss up.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Depending on your town, I would add one thing: protection. When I'm flying out of the smaller airports and encounter irregular ops, the AAngels will snag seats on another flight and call me to let me know about the change/give me flight options - sometimes even before a delay/cancellation is posted.

They cannot provide this service to Amex Platinum cardholders since they don't know who we are until we arrive.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
I have ac membership and amex plat. I have needed help via telephone from the club on a couple of occasions. The amex plat wouldn't have helped me in those circumstances. I know it is double paying (spouse card and membership too) but it covers all situations which I find valuable so I am staying with both.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeMargolis
and find the level of service to be the same.

Two points are:

1. You have to be flying AA to get in to the AC with the Amex Plat card. You can't just go and use it if you're flying another airline, or meeting someone at the airport.

2. AC members get free access to T-Mo hotspot in the USA, Amex people don't.

I think that No. 3, noted by the two posters above me, is more important than 1 or 2. I do fly WN out of the same terminal as AA at SJC, so the access is nice with membership. I typically do not have a laptop with me, so the free wifi won't do much for me.

However, walking into the club and having the AAngel hand me a boarding pass to fix a problem I thought was already fixed...just because she knew I was flying and figured I'd be into the club...priceless.

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
yes, absolutely!

Originally Posted by brp

However, walking into the club and having the AAngel hand me a boarding pass to fix a problem I thought was already fixed...just because she knew I was flying and figured I'd be into the club...priceless.

Cheers.
All it takes is once a year to need the help of the AAngels and your Admiral's Club membership pays for itself.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MikeMargolis

No, AC membership in times of irregular ops is the key here. The AC tracks its members who are flying on a given day and the AAngels do their best to proactively assist those flyers. No such record if you only access using AMEX.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bdemaria
No, AC membership in times of irregular ops is the key here. The AC tracks its members who are flying on a given day and the AAngels do their best to proactively assist those flyers. No such record if you only access using AMEX.
I keep seeing posts saying that the AC tracks its members and fixes problems for us before we arrive at airport (by calling us or handing fixed boarding pass when we arrive). This has not been my experience, AFAIK. Is it really only a regular experience for those of you who fly out of smaller ACs or if out of a large AC, have been a member so many years that you are known there. Although I renewed my AC membership this year, it seems to me that people like me, PLAT AMEX may be the better bet. Most of my flights are through JFK, LGA, and ORD.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
I keep seeing posts saying that the AC tracks its members and fixes problems for us before we arrive at airport (by calling us or handing fixed boarding pass when we arrive). This has not been my experience, AFAIK. Is it really only a regular experience for those of you who fly out of smaller ACs or if out of a large AC, have been a member so many years that you are known there. Although I renewed my AC membership this year, it seems to me that people like me, PLAT AMEX may be the better bet. Most of my flights are through JFK, LGA, and ORD.
I think we are talking about HOME airports. I have seen the AAngels at AUS say, "we have a cancellation, need to make some phone calls"
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Really it does happen. Most especially now with cell phones. We can be found so much more easily. Last summer I was languishing at an AA gate in ORD watching the delay of my flight grow and grow, when I got a telephone call that I had been booked on another flight to my destination.

I wasn't even in the CLUB! I was traveling with non-members and was waiting out at a gate with them.

I guess the AAngels knew I was in the airport as I had checked a bag.

Or perhaps they were just watching the members' flights.

What is it worth? To me, a great deal to have that membership.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by alhcfp
I think we are talking about HOME airports. I have seen the AAngels at AUS say, "we have a cancellation, need to make some phone calls"
Not necessarily. Happened to me at IAD, 1,200 miles from home.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by videomaker
Not necessarily. Happened to me at IAD, 1,200 miles from home.
Ok, follow-up question, is it your HOME AC that's calling you and tracking you? Because I guess my HOME AC must not love me -- I'm just a faceless, nameless member to them.

Not that the AAngels aren't great when I go to them with an IRROPs problem (thank you AAngels everywhere), it's just that they don't / haven't searched me out to help.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
It is my home AC when I'm flying to/from SJC. If I'm flying out of SFO, this happens less often. However, on a couple of occasions when it has looked liked weather would be a problem at SFO, I've called the AC there and the AAngels then keep me posted/keep an eye on my schedule.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
Ok, follow-up question, is it your HOME AC that's calling you and tracking you? Because I guess my HOME AC must not love me -- I'm just a faceless, nameless member to them.
No, it was the IAD AAngel helping me out during a flight delay there.

I didn't even know the flight had been delayed when I checked in at the club. She already knew where I was going and had protected me on a flight the next morning in case I misconnected, which is exactly what happened, and she even took the time to pick a good seat. Extraordinary service.

Now, this may work best at smaller clubs--I'm not sure how much of this they can do in a place like DFW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.