Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAward tix - some segments on BA - no assigned seats?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
AAward tix - some segments on BA - no assigned seats?!?!

Next week the wife and I are flying SNA-DFW-LGW out and CDG-LHR-YYZ-LAX back in F using miles. Looking forward to it. The CDG-LHR-YYZ legs are on BA... should be an interesting comparison of the two F products in 777s... but I digress...

As of right now, for flights that leave on 12/31, we don't have seat assignments on the BA legs. When I called BA a couple of days ago, they said we can't get seat assignments until 72 hours before flight time. Wow. I was surprised.

Does being PLT help this in any way or the fact I'm in F? My wife is stressed out that we won't be sitting together... I don't think that will be much of an issue, but still thought it odd. Am I missing something?
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by woojink
Next week the wife and I are flying SNA-DFW-LGW out and CDG-LHR-YYZ-LAX back in F using miles. Looking forward to it. The CDG-LHR-YYZ legs are on BA... should be an interesting comparison of the two F products in 777s... but I digress...

As of right now, for flights that leave on 12/31, we don't have seat assignments on the BA legs. When I called BA a couple of days ago, they said we can't get seat assignments until 72 hours before flight time. Wow. I was surprised.

Does being PLT help this in any way or the fact I'm in F? My wife is stressed out that we won't be sitting together... I don't think that will be much of an issue, but still thought it odd. Am I missing something?
Take your AA PNR

Go to ba.com

Input the PNR and your name into "Manage My Booking"

pick any seats you want....any special meals, info on any lounges avaialble to you, etc....

Have a good trip!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Passengers in 1st class can pre-select seats online;
passengers in booking classes JCWY can pre-select seats online;
passengers with OW Emerald or OW Sapphire status can pre-select seats online

As suggested, use the AA PNR on the BA site and go into Manage My Booking. It is possible that you may not be able to access functionality such as seat selection or online check in though. Once in MMB, you will find the 6 character BA Amadeus record locator; if you have problems with seat selection, exit the booking and re-enter MMB using this Amadeus reference and the world should be your lobster for seat selection ( other than row 1 )

Dave
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
I had some similar problems on a paid BA ticket, and even entering the BA record locator did not help since it did not recognize the AA status.

After calling BA's elite line, they changed something so I finally had assigned seats and could see them, but could not change them. So, IME, their system is not perfect in dealing with this kind of situation. I finally just gave up, but did wind up with decent seats.

I could give you a long list of other reasons to avoid BA, but that wasn't the question.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I did log in and was able to get seat assignments for the LHR-YYZ leg, but it still won't let me get any seats for the CDG-LHR leg... go figure.

Then I thought... could it be possible that my AAdvantage number isn't in the reservation even though this is an AAward ticket? Lemme check. Guess what... no AAdvantage numbers anywhere. Put mine (and wifes) in, and voila! I now have seat assignments for all BA legs.

So why wouldn't the BA person I spoke to on the phone not tell me about this? I wonder.

Last edited by woojink; Dec 20, 2007 at 8:44 am Reason: Amazing clarity upon further reflection.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by videomaker
I

After calling BA's elite line, they changed something so I finally had assigned seats and could see them, but could not change them. So, IME, their system is not perfect in dealing with this kind of situation. I finally just gave up, but did wind up with decent seats.

I could give you a long list of other reasons to avoid BA, but that wasn't the question.
Works fine for me (and many others). While there may be reasons to avoid BA (did anyone say luggage), this one is particular to you and a few others, but certainly not an indication of the behavior of the BA website.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Works fine for me (and many others). While there may be reasons to avoid BA (did anyone say luggage), this one is particular to you and a few others, but certainly not an indication of the behavior of the BA website.

Cheers.
What luggage things should I worry about? Overweight = massive fees?
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:48 am
Suspended

What luggage things should I worry about?
not seeing it again......
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by andrzej
To be fair- seeing it 4 days to a week later

Also, and this is BAA, and not BA, specifically, but I have a hard time separating them in my head, they are very strict, IME, about the rules. Size does matter to them, even to 1/2" in a couple of cases. Conform, or be prepared for the consequences.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrzej
Sorry... did I miss something? I just searched under "luggage" and did a scan of the past couple/three weeks, but didn't find anything. Albeit it was just a scan.

We will have a couple of larger bags, it's fairly likely that one of them will be over 50lbs, so am prepared to pay the overage fee... is BA going to be more of a problem than that? Also, we will only have ONE item that we carry on board (combo backpack/computer case for me and purse for my wife) to avoid any issues at LHR.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.9MM
In July my son and his wife went to London for 12 days.
Their lost luggage was delivered to their home 2 days after coming back.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:30 am
Suspended

http://www.thebusiness.co.uk/the-mag...-for-baa.thtml
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by brp
Or four months later, beat up and handles rusted from being left out in the rain. If it shows up at all.

But wait, the new terminal will fix all that--yaright!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp

Also, and this is BAA, and not BA, specifically, but I have a hard time separating them in my head, they are very strict, IME, about the rules. Size does matter to them, even to 1/2" in a couple of cases. Conform, or be prepared for the consequences.

Cheers.
OK. Now I see what you're talking about. This should be interesting... I come home from this trip on 12/31, and then I fly to HKG 48 hours later. If my bags never show up in LAX then it could make for an interesting trip to HKG. Wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.