electrical outlets in coach?

Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:36 am
Original Poster

electrical outlets in coach?

Is there a way of knowing which seats have electrical outlets before actually getting on the plane? I always seem to be in a row without it.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...horEvent=false

Seats marked with black dots have a power outlet.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
www.seatguru.com

Cheers.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Wow---thanks. These charts come in quite handy.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:55 am

To add a quick note; the charts are not always 100% accurate. For example Sunday I was on a 767 row 36, seat G. The chart on aa.com shows two power outlets in CEG row 36, but my plane didn't have any. HJ row 36 did have power.

UR
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:09 pm

deleted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jul 18, 2009 at 7:13 pm
Old Dec 19, 2007, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shoodawg
May I ask what you intend to plug in?
Laptop that no longer charges, or a DVD player----nothing too exciting!
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by slabeaume
Laptop that no longer charges, or a DVD player----nothing too exciting!
And so you realize that AA power is basically a cig lighter 12 volt plug. It isn't 110 power, so you may need a converter depending on your equipment.

Also, note that ex TWA 757's don't have power. Neither do the ex TWA MD-83's, there are various way's to tell which one you will be on. The schedule and seatguru.com are good resources. The seatmap for the ex TWA 757's is different, in the front coach exit row. These have been sold to Delta, but they are not all gone.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:46 pm

Powerports
Your seat may be equipped with a DC power outlet. American uses a "cigarette lighter" style outlet delivering 15 volts of direct current. On most aircraft*, a power outlet is available at each seat in First and Business class, as well as selected rows in the Coach cabin. Outlets may be used to operate laptop computers, CD/DVD players, charging cellphone and other devices with a maximum 75-watt capacity. Outlets are located on your seat console, or mounted to the seat frame below your seat cushion. Look for the "lightning bolt" symbol on the overhead bin rows containing powerport-equipped seats. For detailed powerport locations by aircraft type, visit the Our Planes section on AA.com. This information can also be found in the AA Timetable.

DC auto/air power adapter cords can be purchased at most electronics stores or through power cord manufacturers. Keep in mind that power adapter cords are device (laptop or DVD) and model specific. Splitter or Y adaptor cords may not be used. Only one device is allowed per outlet.

To operate: Plug your adapter cord into the computer first, then lift the outlet cover and plug your cord into the outlet.

System power is available when the green light on the outlet is illuminated.

*Powerports are offered on all Boeing 777, 767, 737, Boeing MD80 and Airbus 300 aircraft. Most Boeing 757 aircraft offer powerports.

Use of powerports is permitted only when the aircraft is above 10,000 feet in altitude and the flight attendant announces that personal electronic devices are allowed. The use of powerports is at your own risk. American is not responsible for loss of data or damage to personal hardware or software.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:50 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ja_user
Also, note that ex TWA 757's don't have power. Neither do the ex TWA MD-83's ...
At one time the ex-TWA MadDogs did not have power ports. But nowadays all MD-80s have 'em. Some of the 757's (the ones with the multi-colored purpley cloth seats) still do not have power ports.
Originally Posted by Aleks
Use of powerports is permitted only when the aircraft is above 10,000 feet in altitude and the flight attendant announces that personal electronic devices are allowed.
I know you're quoting from AA.com, yet their info is not completely correct. Powerport use is also allowed immediately after boarding until the aircraft door is closed.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

You guys are making my head hurt. I just want to use my cigarette lighter adapter and plug my DVD player in so I can watch a movie.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 4:37 pm

You guys are making my head hurt. I just want to use my cigarette lighter adapter and plug my DVD player in so I can watch a movie.
As you can tell, people take this forum and flying on AA a little too seriously.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 4:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
As you can tell, people take this forum and flying on AA a little too seriously.
More often, the criticism is that some don't take this forum seriously.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I do the same thing w/a cigarette lighter adapater - and pick my seats based on the aa.com/seatguru.com. I can only recall one flight in the last 4 years when there wasn't an adapter where I thought there would be one.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Well, at least the OP didn't get the obligatory AA forum, "Do a search!' comment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.