Ending Trip Mid-Journey

Old Dec 13, 07, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Location: NW Platinum, UA UGS, Hertz Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Ending Trip Mid-Journey

I have a quick question (did a search and couldn't find anything) about ending a trip mid-journey. I am currently scheduled to fly with a companion from my origin to MIA to destination as personal travel (returning from vacation). However, my business plans have changed and my co. has bought a seperate ticket from MIA to a different destination. Do I have to do anything to my old reservation or can I just abandon it in MIA (no checked baggage) and use my other ticket. My concern is that my companion could have a problem traveling from MIA to his destination since we are on the same record locater. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 13, 07, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Nope, no problem at all. As a courtesy, I would call AA and cancel your return reservation.

BTW, some will tell you that there is a theoretical possibility of a problem if you only used one way of a round-trip fare, but from a practical perspective, there's no problem at all.
Old Dec 13, 07, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
For what it is worth, I have been told that is long as does not become a habit than AA will not have an issue, although, you should call to have noted on the PNR. From what I have been told multiple times tells the airline that you buying two lower priced back to backs to avoid higher fares, which of course the airlines do want. Some think that it is not legal for the airlines to tell you what to do since you paid for the flight and have not asked for a refund. Like leaving the movie theater half way through the movie because the movie sucks. Not sure what the outcome was in certain court battles.
Old Dec 13, 07, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Not sure what the outcome was in certain court battles.
To which court battles are you referring?
Old Dec 13, 07, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
AFAIK you can even use this cupon until the ticket validity ends, please correct me if I'm wrong here !

Of course subject to ticket change fees
Old Dec 13, 07, 2:39 pm

This isn't about dropping the return journey of a roundtrip ticket, it's about abandoning a connecting flight in the connecting city. That's definitely technically against the rules, but again, if you don't make a practice of it, you're unlikely to have issues this time.

Now, if you're doing this on the outbound segment, and it's a return ticket, your companion could potentially have issues that their return destination-MIA-origin segments are canceled. Does that apply.
Old Dec 13, 07, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Location: NW Platinum, UA UGS, Hertz Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Thanks for the help. This is on the return portion of a roundtrip ticket. I am definitely not doing this to take advantage of a fare rule - the original ticket is full-Y and the new ticket is full-J. I'll let you all know if anything out of the ordinary happens as a result of this - my only concern was that my companion continuing on would have problems because I was throwing away that flight but it doesn't seem like a big deal.
Old Dec 14, 07, 8:52 am

If it's full Y, why not just call and make a change to your ticket to reflect what you want? And if it is because full Y origin-MIA is more expensive than full Y origin-MIA-destination, then you are indeed technically ripping off AA but will probably get away with it if you don't make a habit of it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: