Search

How to change to a nonstop flight on an award itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:37 pm
pbz
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
How to change to a nonstop flight on an award itinerary

I am ticketed ORD-DFW-SFO, in Z (first MileSAAver award). Is there any mechanism by which I could change to a direct ORD-SFO flight, if a seat in the right bucket opens up?

If so--is there any way to make it happen automatically?

If not--can I go to the airport in time for the earlier direct flight and get on a waitlist for it?

Thanks to all you experts & sorry for what probably seems like dumb newbie questions. Appreciate any suggestions.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I believe if Z inventory opens on the nonstop you can change...but you will have to call AA to make it happen.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
As long as your city of departure ORD and destination SFO does not change, and the class becomes available, you can make a change by phone to the AAdvantage desk change it with no fees. A move to a satellite AP such SJC is not allowed.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:35 pm
pbz
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks partners. Is there an easy way to see if the inventory opens up? (ExpertFlyer or else just keep trying to make bookings on the web site?)

Also, is it possible to go to the airport early and stand by for a first-class seat on the nonstop flight? (Or if I do that do I risk being forced on in coach?)
Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:47 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only way I know is to set-up a Flight Alert on ExpertFlyer.com for Z inventory on your desired flights and wait. This is available to premium subscribers (monthly or annual plan).
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pbz
Thanks partners. Is there an easy way to see if the inventory opens up? (ExpertFlyer or else just keep trying to make bookings on the web site?)

Also, is it possible to go to the airport early and stand by for a first-class seat on the nonstop flight? (Or if I do that do I risk being forced on in coach?)
I had this same experience over Thanksgiving, booked on a connection through ORD and tried to book an award flight via the website one night and it gave me the nonstop option. I called up AA and they switched it right away.

As far as I know, you are not allowed to stand-by for First class on an award ticket. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the case.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Set up a alert on EF.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:19 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sholey
Set up a alert on EF.
What a great idea.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,
I don't subscribe to EF. But once I was booked with a connection at DFW on an award flight for a vacation while the rest of my family was taking a non-stop to PVR. I simply checked AA.com regularly for award availability to open up on the flight my family was on. When it appeared I contacted AA who was very helpful in assisting switching my award to the non-stop free of charge.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot Silver, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by TWAL10114Ever

As far as I know, you are not allowed to stand-by for First class on an award ticket. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the case.
I don't believe that you can standby for an alternate flight when on award ticket. I was flying GIG-MIA-ATL-ORD on an economy award. I had to fly through ATL because the MIA-ORD flights didn't have award availability.

I got my bags at MIA and walked with them to the checkin desk and asked if I can fly stand by on any of the MIA-ORD flights, and they said I couldn't becuase I was on an award ticket and any change must be made with the award desk.

Last edited by lial; Dec 4, 2007 at 10:24 pm Reason: I flew through ATL, not CLT
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:21 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by pbz
Is there an easy way to see if the inventory opens up? (ExpertFlyer or else just keep trying to make bookings on the web site?)
There are many ways. Setting up an EF alert is probably the easiest. You can keep trying to book it on AA.com. You can keep calling AA on the phone to inquire.
Also, is it possible to go to the airport early and stand by for a first-class seat on the nonstop flight?
Yes. It's the same mechanism: if the award inventory is available, they'll switch you to the desired flight. If it's not available, your original booking stays intact. The only advantage to being at the airport (instead of calling on the phone) is if someone no-shows at the last minute, you can get on the flight.
(Or if I do that do I risk being forced on in coach?)
They can't "force" you into coach. However you can voluntarily downgrade to coach. There are some possible scenarios (i.e. your flight is cancelled, and all they have left on the next flight is coach) where you paid for FC but flew in coach. In that case you can write 'em and they will refund some of your miles pro-rata.

I never tried voluntarily flying in coach and then asking for a miles adjustment. I believe they would -not- refund any miles.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:55 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
pbz, I don't mean to hijack your post, but I want to clear something up.

I currently have a oneworld award booked, the return of which is LHR-(BA)MAN(AA)-ORD(AA)-DCA -- that was the best I could do. My understanding was that I could only change flight dates, but that the routing had to stay exactly the same. Based on this thread, I'm no longer sure.. if I find a more direct routing - such as STN-JFK-DCA, or LHR-JFK-DCA - later on, can I change the routing as long as the start and end cities remain the same, without paying any additional fee?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jkm024
pbz, I don't mean to hijack your post, but I want to clear something up.

I currently have a oneworld award booked, the return of which is LHR-(BA)MAN(AA)-ORD(AA)-DCA -- that was the best I could do. My understanding was that I could only change flight dates, but that the routing had to stay exactly the same. Based on this thread, I'm no longer sure.. if I find a more direct routing - such as STN-JFK-DCA, or LHR-JFK-DCA - later on, can I change the routing as long as the start and end cities remain the same, without paying any additional fee?

Thanks!
You are correct. On an Oneworld Award, you can change the time, dates and flight numbers for free but you CANNOT make any changes to the routing. If you want to change the routing, you have to pay to redeposit the miles and start again.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by lial
I don't believe that you can standby for an alternate flight when on award ticket. I was flying GIG-MIA-ATL-ORD on an economy award. I had to fly through ATL because the MIA-ORD flights didn't have award availability.

I got my bags at MIA and walked with them to the checkin desk and asked if I can fly stand by on any of the MIA-ORD flights, and they said I couldn't becuase I was on an award ticket and any change must be made with the award desk.
That's incorrect.

Regular standby rules should apply. While confirmed changes (which are free) require award inventory, same-day standby does not. I've even done standby on an award from a co-terminal.

It's possible that the international leg of the itinerary is what tripped you up, or else the agent just made a mistake.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by swag
That's incorrect.

Regular standby rules should apply. While confirmed changes (which are free) require award inventory, same-day standby does not. I've even done standby on an award from a co-terminal.

It's possible that the international leg of the itinerary is what tripped you up, or else the agent just made a mistake.
Are you saying that it is possible to same day stand-by for travel even if it involves an international leg?
I am on a MR this FRI (SAT-DFW-ORD-FRA), but would prefer to go SAT-DFW-FRA. Think I can do that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.