Search

Fight cancellation notice in the wee hours

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:17 pm
xFF
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Angry Fight cancellation notice in the wee hours

I was awakened by my cell phone ringing on the side table in my room at the Bonaventure, 3:35 AM Friday morning. Images of sudden illnesses, births or deaths vanished as I listened to the computerized voice telling me my 7:15 flight to AUS had been canceled, and I had been re-booked on a red-eye with 3 hr DFW layover. That would have been great (at least the info on the cancellation) if it were not for the fact the flight was 7:15 **PM** Friday evening.

Hung up on the computer, mentally filing the flight change under stuff to deal with in the morning, and couldn't get back to sleep for an hour. Over 24 hrs later, at LAX for the 7:30AM, no longer angry but still bemused, I related the tale to an agent, asking rhetorically what kind of moronic programmer would launch the passenger notification sequence without any regard to the time of day. He smiled wryly, and said, "An American Airlines one."
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather be notified at 3:30 in the morning if a flight is canceled so I can start dealing with it then, especially if any changes need to be made from what they have automatically rebooked.

Last time this happened to me, a helpful AAgent put me on another airline to get me to where I was going 30 minutes earlier. I'd call that good service.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Moronic, yes. However, considering people may be in different time zones world-wide I think it would be hard to schedule accordingly. Set your phone on vibrate and you will have nothing to worry about. ^
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT(1.8 MM); HH-GLD
I was awoken by an AA agent at 3AM earlier this year because of a canceled flight- with re booking information. She had to make several phone calls to run me down. With one stop-I made my final destination within 1 hour of the original flight. That is why I fly AA- the extra effort.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:54 pm

I also had this happen in the wee hours today and was happy to address the issues at the time.
On a related note, while we never made it out of the airport today and are starting all over tomorrow, add me to the list of those who have found that the new phone system SUCKS. I called the EXP line five times over the course of the day having to reconfigure later connections each time a delay or cancellation occurred. The shortest route of "agent" after AA# confirmation did not take 3 of the 5 times and I found it the most expeditious to simply hang up and call back. Still and all, the usual excellent service once connected.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I would rather be informed as soon as possible after my flight is canceled, so that I can start making alternate plans. I would be annoyed my flight is canceled, but I would not be annoyed at being called during traditional sleeping hours.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by alien
I also had this happen in the wee hours today and was happy to address the issues at the time.
On a related note, while we never made it out of the airport today and are starting all over tomorrow, add me to the list of those who have found that the new phone system SUCKS. I called the EXP line five times over the course of the day having to reconfigure later connections each time a delay or cancellation occurred. The shortest route of "agent" after AA# confirmation did not take 3 of the 5 times and I found it the most expeditious to simply hang up and call back. Still and all, the usual excellent service once connected.
If you press "0" it will take you directly to an agent.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 6:18 pm

Well, excellent, thank you.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
>Fight cancellation notice in the wee hours

Well if anything can be resolved peacefully, the better
Old Dec 3, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I want to be called immediately. If you lived on the West Coast would you really want East Coasters to have a 3 hour head start on you to get alternatives?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:00 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Sorry, xFF...

As you can tell by most responses, any FLyertalker worth his/her salt would immediately get out of bed, log into their computer, and rebook their flights and seat assignments. Only then would a true Flyertalker go back to bed.

The reason you could not get to sleep; your body was telling you "Take care of this NOW, not later!"
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by xFF
I was awakened by my cell phone ringing on the side table in my room at the Bonaventure, 3:35 AM Friday morning. Images of sudden illnesses, births or deaths vanished as I listened to the computerized voice telling me my 7:15 flight to AUS had been canceled, and I had been re-booked on a red-eye with 3 hr DFW layover. That would have been great (at least the info on the cancellation) if it were not for the fact the flight was 7:15 **PM** Friday evening.

Hung up on the computer, mentally filing the flight change under stuff to deal with in the morning, and couldn't get back to sleep for an hour. Over 24 hrs later, at LAX for the 7:30AM, no longer angry but still bemused, I related the tale to an agent, asking rhetorically what kind of moronic programmer would launch the passenger notification sequence without any regard to the time of day. He smiled wryly, and said, "An American Airlines one."
If you don't want people calliing you at night, turn the ringer off.
That way, you can ignore these calls, and get the message when you wake up at noon. Then, you can complain here about the remaining flights being full.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
My question is: why do you leave your phone on at night? The very last thing I do at night is switch off my phone, and the very first thing I do the next morning is turn it back on. I am completely incommunicado while I'm sleeping--honestly, what possibly could happen that would be important enough to disturb my rest? Anything could wait until I wake up. Even a cancelled flight. Furthermore, as an EXP, in the event of a cancellation I would be auto-reaccommodated.

I live a crazy enough life. I know when it's time to disconnect myself and rest.

Or, like the previous poster said, at least turn off the ringer!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The cool thing about my Blackberry is that I can set an auto-on and auto-off time. It will also turn itself on automatically when it's time for my alarm to go off; so if I want, I can turn it off when I go to bed and it will turn on when it's time for the alarm.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: AA-EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum, Avis
I've got to say, I really don't understand the complaint here. If you don't want to be woken up at night, implement policies (turn off phone, change contact info in profile, etc.) that work to prevent that from happening.

A few months back, I got a call from AA at 6am PDT telling me about a cancellation that just happened for that evening. I was able to work with the agent to get on a red eye that evening instead of the morning flight they originally booked me on.

AA does make the effort when these things happen, and that's why I continue fliying them. IMHO, your complaint is actually a reason to sing AA's praises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.