eVIPs out of Paris -- Upgrade / Luxury Tax like London?

Old Nov 18, 10, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I read the thread on the Germany forum and it looks like a plain old tax applied to all flights based on distance, versus a separate tax if you fly in business class.
[Tax Raise] Germany imposes flight tax
Old Oct 1, 11, 9:58 pm

Paris departure tax for upgrade

If you buy a coach class tkt and upgrade departing out of Paris you get charged 40EUR. about $54. The airline will collect it for Paris either when you upgrade or at the ticket counter when you leave Paris.

Out of London or Edinburgh it comes out at 50GBP which is now about $95 for departures out of Great Britain.
Old Feb 27, 12, 10:22 pm

any luxury tax from MAN -> ORD if eVIPs is cleared? thx
Old Feb 27, 12, 10:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by iwpingmu View Post
any luxury tax from MAN -> ORD if eVIPs is cleared? thx
Of course. MAN is in the UK. Although this is likely the wrong thread for this since it's about Paris.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 12, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by brp View Post
Of course. MAN is in the UK. Although this is likely the wrong thread for this since it's about Paris.

Cheers.
Thanks for the answer
Old Feb 27, 12, 10:56 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member- DL SILVER Medallion
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
fwiw, UA doesn't charge the fee in either Paris or London. I just upgraded a UA ex-Paris flight yesterday.
if you are already business upgrading to first, the luxury tax is already paid for in your business ticket

but if you upgrade coach to business, and you originate in that city, then you pay....

Like a while back I did JNB-LHR-DFW and did not pay b/c I was connecting, but if I stayed 24 in London then I would have to pay the luxury tax---

Not sure if it applies like this in CDG
Old Feb 27, 12, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I flew from Paris on February 11, and when my SWU cleared 2 days before my flight, it seems I was charged $47.30. I am guessing that is the luxury tax people talk about. It seems AA charged my credit card they had on file. Is this normal ? Do I need to call to inquire about it ?
Old Feb 28, 12, 8:23 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by reubergd View Post
I flew from Paris on February 11, and when my SWU cleared 2 days before my flight, it seems I was charged $47.30. I am guessing that is the luxury tax people talk about. It seems AA charged my credit card they had on file. Is this normal ? Do I need to call to inquire about it ?
The additional collection for me (last week) was $52.94 for CDG-DFW when the upgrade cleared.
Old Oct 12, 13, 2:45 am

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
It seems like there is a lot of confusion about Germany, at least in my case. I did a lone way SWU from DFW-FRA and was charged $200.00 USA. I would not have minded paying 45 euros, but $200 for 1 out of 4 segments seems a LOT to me.
Old Oct 12, 13, 3:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rodsren View Post
It seems like there is a lot of confusion about Germany, at least in my case. I did a lone way SWU from DFW-FRA and was charged $200.00 USA. I would not have minded paying 45 euros, but $200 for 1 out of 4 segments seems a LOT to me.
Looks like it is the difference in YR being applied

For DFW-FRA , in economy class , the YR charge is $258
For DFW-FRA , in business class , the YR charge is $428

which would give an additional $170 in additional charges; were you connecting onwards after FRA for which additional taxes or charges could apply?
Old Oct 12, 13, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something is wrong here. I've never been charged to use a systemwide from the U.S. to a variety of countries in Europe (UK, Ireland, Germany, Spain in the last two years). The charges, when applied, have always been on the return, generally for the additional taxes for flying in the business class cabin. If we were being charged to use systemwides from the U.S., there would be an uproar here. You seem to be the first post reporting it.
Old Oct 12, 13, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Looks like it is the difference in YR being applied

For DFW-FRA , in economy class , the YR charge is $258
For DFW-FRA , in business class , the YR charge is $428

which would give an additional $170 in additional charges; were you connecting onwards after FRA for which additional taxes or charges could apply?
YR is the fuel surcharge? When did we start paying fuel surcharges to use systemwides on AA metal from the U.S.? If that is what happened it must be an agent mistake.
Old Oct 12, 13, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
YR is the fuel surcharge? When did we start paying fuel surcharges to use systemwides on AA metal from the U.S.? If that is what happened it must be an agent mistake.
I know that YR is a charge , not a tax. Since the ticket was reissued, I assume the system calculated the new taxes/charges and came up with this. I doubt the agent had a hand in it

It is also possible that the journey was not just FRA-DFW and the difference could be due to another part of the itinerary

The systems were recently modified to collect YQs et al which impacted award travel recently; perhaps this is a side effect ( deliberate or in error ) from this
Old Oct 12, 13, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Surcharge? What surcharge?

I have been upgraded on AA (coach -> biz) ex-LHR a few times. Never paid an additional charge.
Old Oct 12, 13, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pushpak View Post
I have been upgraded on AA (coach -> biz) ex-LHR a few times. Never paid an additional charge.
Operational upgrade or systemwide upgrade? AA will hit you with about a $100 charge for UK-US flights if you originate in the UK and use a systemwide. Workaround is to not originate in the UK.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: