eVIPs out of Paris -- Upgrade / Luxury Tax like London?

Old Aug 15, 08, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by flyupfront View Post
Is the tax paid as a part of the ticket/award cost + taxes OR is this tax collected at the airport prior to departure?
it is paid whenever the upgrade clears.
Old Aug 15, 08, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Do you have to have a valid credit card on file with AA to get the tax to charge automatically at the time that the upgrade clears?
Old Aug 15, 08, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skye1 View Post
Sort of OT, but FWIW, I think FRA is still "tax free". If you're thinking on a winter MR, I'd shift German.
Indeed

Welcome to germany ^
Old Aug 15, 08, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
Do you have to have a valid credit card on file with AA to get the tax to charge automatically at the time that the upgrade clears?
Yes.
Old Aug 15, 08, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The tax, code IZ, is the "AIR PASSENGER SOLIDARITY TAX" and goes from EUR10.00 in economy (or premium economy) to EUR40.00 in business or first. Note that it does not apply "WHEN TRANSITING FRANCE WITHIN 24 HOURS".

For comparison, the U.K. tax, code GB, is the "AIR PASSENGER DUTY APD", goes from GBP40.00 in economy to GBP80.00 in business or first (or premium economy). Note that it does not apply with "24 HOUR TRANSIT TIME APPLIES TO INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS, FOR DOMESTIC FIGHTS THE CONNEX TIME IS 6 HOURS, EXCEPT WHEN ARRIVAL IS AT 1700 HRS OR LATER THEN DEPARTURE IS VALID BY 10AM NEXT DAY"; however, the connecting flight must be on the same ticket for the tax to be waived.
Old Aug 15, 08, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
DUB is the answer....
Old Aug 15, 08, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This info is now in the wiki, where it should belong: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...n_upgrades_(AA)
Old Aug 15, 08, 9:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks, again, hillrider! Great job / info in the Wiki!

Originally Posted by hillrider View Post
This info is now in the wiki, where it should belong: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...n_upgrades_(AA)
Old Aug 18, 08, 8:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Lifetime Platinum
When I paid the tax in April, I'd paid at the Admiral's Club in Paris...and they just took my credit card on the spot.
Old Jan 31, 09, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.5MM AC; MR LT PPE + AMB; Honors Diamond; Hyatt Globalist
I was told today by the EXP desk that the three countries charging the luxury tax for premium cabins is France, UK, India.
Old Feb 1, 09, 7:54 am

I'm flying LAX-CDG next week. I was charged the "luxury tax" when my evips cleared at the time of booking. At the time I was quite surprised since I had not been to CDG in several years and thought that the UK was the only country assessing a penalty for flying in the front of the bus.
Old Feb 1, 09, 8:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Gold, Gold SPG, AS 75K, QR PLT
Originally Posted by exitrow View Post
I'm flying LAX-CDG next week. I was charged the "luxury tax" when my evips cleared at the time of booking. At the time I was quite surprised since I had not been to CDG in several years and thought that the UK was the only country assessing a penalty for flying in the front of the bus.
But you are not being charged for flying into CDG, right? I assume you are charged because you are leaving from CDG as well or am I wrong?
Old Feb 1, 09, 9:25 am
nrr
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The cdg fee (from info I've read) is not a "luxury" tax, but is a fee to help "disadvantage countries".
Old Feb 1, 09, 10:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
The cdg fee (from info I've read) is not a "luxury" tax, but is a fee to help "disadvantage countries".
Cool, are they going to send it to the US? We're as disadvantaged as anyone these days. Of course, we're primarily responsible for starting the "disadvantaging" so maybe we deserve what we get.

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 09, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
Here's a thread from 2006 over in Newsstand discussing it:
UN chief hails new French air tax

Search this Thread
Search Engine: