Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Embarrassing incident on American Eagle - The woes of being a Plat member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:21 am
Original Poster

I was flying FLL - NAS on American Eagle, when around mid-flight, the FA came to the front of the plane and announced that American Airlines is thankful for the business of (my name), a Platinum member, and (an adjacent woman's name), a Gold member.

To further embarrass, she handed me a HUGE bag of roasted cashews (we're talking 1/4 to 1/2 pound) - not at all a personal serving size - and said "again, thank you for being a Platinum member". I declined the nuts since I was allergic, which she understood, and offered me trail mix instead (which also had nuts). I pointed this out, and sincerely thanked her. No other passengers were offered any of the nuts. She either really liked me, or was trying to kill me

Then, I entered into a conversation with her, asking her if it were possible to standby for a MIA return instead of returning to FLL. She quite bluntly (and loudly) put it - "If it was her (gesturing to the Gold member), the answer would be a straight NO, but you, as a Platinum, it's almost guaranteed. We like to take good care of our Platinum members. Again thank you for being a Platinum member".

All eyes were on me.

I hope you enjoyed my embarrassing story.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:30 am
Pit

Programs: AA Plt, Hyatt Dia
I'm platinum. Why does that never happen to me? Some guys have all the luck.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
You should have taken the nuts and passed them around to your fellow no-status passengers.

No one likes Mr. More-status-than-them, but the-guy-who-gives-out-snacks? Everyone likes that guy!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pit
I'm platinum. Why does that never happen to me? Some guys have all the luck.
To tell you the truth, I think this FA was a bit nutty.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:07 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Can you imagine if an EXP had been on that flight? I mean the FA might have given away more than just nuts?!?!

I agree the FA was a bit off thinking a PLT was so so so much better than GLD.

Now if you were Concierge Key (I am assuming that is also on the manifest), I bet you might have gotten the layover hotel information ...

Last edited by JGR01; Nov 18, 2007 at 10:12 am
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by roadtripman
Then, I entered into a conversation with her, asking her if it were possible to standby for a MIA return instead of returning to FLL. She quite bluntly (and loudly) put it - "If it was her (gesturing to the Gold member), the answer would be a straight NO, but you, as a Platinum, it's almost guaranteed. We like to take good care of our Platinum members. Again thank you for being a Platinum member".
Interesting story. After more than a decade as PLT or EXP, nothing like that has ever happened to me. Thank goodness.

But now I have to ask... why would you think the FA would be able to accurately assess your standby chances?

Since she would have access to neither the flight loads nor your fare rules, it seems any reply given would be just a guess. And IMO the response you reported proves my point. Despite her assertion otherwise, standing by has nothing to do with PLT vs. GLD (except for possibly the occasional gate agent who may be more willing to bend the rules for a PLT than a GLD).

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Nov 18, 2007 at 10:38 am Reason: typos
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JGR01
I agree the FA was a bit off thinking a PLT was so so so much better than GLD.
I felt really, really uncomfortable. People were obviously annoyed at the attention we were getting up front. If only they knew I got my status on a challenge and haven't ever gotten more than 30,000 EQM's in a year.

Originally Posted by swag
You should have taken the nuts and passed them around to your fellow no-status passengers.
I never thought about that. Though I doubt she would have liked that much, she seemed to want to make a point to the other passengers that they should be ashamed that they are lowly Gen's and "if only this could be you".
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:28 am
Suspended

Huh?

This story sounds fishy and weird to me. I don't believe this guy at all.

Sorry, mAAn.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N145PM
This story sounds fishy and weird to me.
...which is why I felt the need to share it with the community.

What motivations I'd have to lie about something like this is beyond me
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by N145PM
This story sounds fishy and weird to me. I don't believe this guy at all.

Sorry, mAAn.
It's certainly weird, but other than that, what's fishy about it? It seems more fishy to me that a relative newbie (27 posts-to-date) is accusing someone of making up a story.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
It's certainly weird, but other than that, what's fishy about it? It seems more fishy to me that a relative newbie (27 posts-to-date) is accusing someone of making up a story.
The weirdest thing about it all was that she actually said my full name aloud - you'd think there is some sort of confidentiality rules on AE. But like I said, this FA was strange (personality-wise). Very bubbly, though.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by roadtripman
To tell you the truth, I think this FA was a bit nutty.
There was a thread a few months ago about a particularly shall we say "festive" Eagle FA. I couldn't find it via search, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the same FA. The thread mentioned similarly unusual acts.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
I did have an Eagle FA a few weeks back, MIA - CLT, announce she was serving AAdvantage status passenger first. She then went person to person delivering from the galley, before taking the cart out and serving everyone else.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FLgrr
I did have an Eagle FA a few weeks back, MIA - CLT, announce she was serving AAdvantage status passenger first. She then went person to person delivering from the galley, before taking the cart out and serving everyone else.
Maybe a trend developing here for AE to recognize status pax?

A few weeks ago, for the first time ever, the FA came to my seat before takeoff and thanked me for being EXP and offering a cocktail when she did beverage service. She comped some wine and nuts.

But unlike the OP, she didn't announce it over the PA system!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AE is comping wine, beer, nuts, or fruit and nut mix for EXP and PLAT and ? regular Joes connecting to first class. I like it! The fruit and nut mix was my dinner on a much delayed travel day last week. I offered to share with my seat mate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.