Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades clearing as a Gold day before Thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Upgrades clearing as a Gold day before Thanksgiving

I was wondering what kind of luck historically Golds have had clearing on stickers the day before Thanksgiving. I am on AA608 (STL-RSW) and it still shows F7. I figure this is a day that will have few elites traveling, so am I correct in assuming I will have a good chance of my stickers clearing at T-24 hours?

Also, how is it for upgrading the Sunday after Thanksgiving?

Thanks for the insight.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:28 am
Pit

Programs: AA Plt, Hyatt Dia
I wouldn't count on it. Those are two of the busiest travel days.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:38 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The outbound is 8:20am so would be 'less traveled' as compared to flights later in the day. Definately get to the airport early that day and at the ticket counter ask to be placed on the Airport Control Upgrade List. I suspect Revenue Management will not release many/any seats on this very heavy travel day.

Those road warriors unlucky enough to have to travel for work would not be on flights that early in the day .. we tend to head home on Wednesday after working 1/2 - 2/3 of the day. Granted some get to not travel the whole week.

The return flight is already F0 and Y1 so I definately hope you have gotten exit row seating as a GLD.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
You know, JGR, sometimes I have no idea where you come up with this stuff.

Originally Posted by JGR01
The outbound is 8:20am so would be 'less traveled' as compared to flights later in the day.
No idea why this would be true. In fact my mid afternoon BOS-ORD-SFO is showing 7s in all inventories.

Definately get to the airport early that day and at the ticket counter ask to be placed on the Airport Control Upgrade List.
Getting to the airport early may make sense because of the anticipated crowds, but getting to the airport early for the sole purpose of getting on the upgrade list makes no sense at all. Everyone on this board knows that the upgrade list is prioritized by status and check-in time, not based on the time your name goes on the list.

I suspect Revenue Management will not release many/any seats on this very heavy travel day.
Wrong. RM will release every seat for upgrades, just like they always do.

Those road warriors unlucky enough to have to travel for work would not be on flights that early in the day .. we tend to head home on Wednesday after working 1/2 - 2/3 of the day. Granted some get to not travel the whole week.
I'm not sure why you think "road warriors" are all alike. Just like regular folks, some will take the opportunity to stay home, some will be traveling for business, and some will be traveling for the holiday.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
YMMV... my 3 flights around Thanksgiving (Tuesday night/Wednesday morning (connecting via a hub w/an overnight) & Sunday noon) are all F7 (and ranging P3-P5) on 738s and 757s; only one flight has any Y availability left.

There are 4 of us, on 2 separate PNRs, with the GLD-linked PNR in the exit row and the PLT-linked PNR in the row ahead/behind. I'm hoping that they'll clear a PLT well in advance, and a GLD will still have a chance to clear "shortly" before the flight...
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
..Wrong. RM will release every seat for upgrades, just like they always do..
Yes for airport control . my point (I thought I made) was that at the upgrade windows (and even at t-4) there will probably be minimal releasing of X inventory on Wednesday.

Re a business traveler taking a Wednesday morning 8:20am flight back 'home' .. if that person worked for me I would either expect them to head home Tuesday night or at least work 1/2 the day Wednesday. Staying overnight and then flying on a work day is not good form (IMHO) .. as in I personally would never shaft my customer out of a whole WORK day as well as the night before.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Re a business traveler taking a Wednesday morning 8:20am flight back 'home' .. if that person worked for me I would either expect them to head home Tuesday night or at least work 1/2 the day Wednesday. Staying overnight and then flying on a work day is not good form (IMHO) .. as in I personally would never shaft my customer out of a whole WORK day as well as the night before.
On many routes someone can't leave after working a FULL day and still get home at night. Also, most saavy travelers connecting through places at O'Hare would rather leave the morning after.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If I had an upgrade pending, I'd try every trick that has been extensively documented on this Forum, and hope mostly leisure economy pax were on my flight. It's going to be very crowded.

But, it's gonna be busy, and today is predicted to be the business travel day in years, so good luck all - last minute flyers, road warriors slaving late and getting cold turkey, and those heading back to visit family.

Let's hope we cut others the slack we'd like to get, and do the same here.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
I was wondering what kind of luck historically Golds have had clearing on stickers the day before Thanksgiving. I am on AA608 (STL-RSW) and it still shows F7. I figure this is a day that will have few elites traveling, so am I correct in assuming I will have a good chance of my stickers clearing at T-24 hours?
I wouldn't count on it but stranger things have happened. Upgrades for golds are hard to come by in general and Wed before T'giving is obviously a popular date. EF shows F7 for AA608 but all of the exit row seats (except one) = potentially 9 elites so its a matter of status, booking time, etc...

I wouldn't count on it clearing until the airport.

As for you return, its pretty much F0 across the board on Sunday - so I'd plan on packing a Turkey sandwich and sitting in Y.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
....As for you return, its pretty much F0 across the board on Sunday - so I'd plan on packing a Turkey sandwich and sitting in Y.
By Sunday the turkey better be long gone.

Time for bologna sandwiches and fruit pies I think instead!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There is no way, no way (as Jackie Gleason use to say) that you would get me anywhere near an airport the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The stroke that I would have would not be worth any possibility of an UPG, paid, sticker, OP, or at the whim of a flirty GA. The latter probably never, ever occuring on that day.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
There is no way, no way (as Jackie Gleason use to say) that you would get me anywhere near an airport the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The stroke that I would have would not be worth any possibility of an UPG, paid, sticker, OP, or at the whim of a flirty GA. The latter probably never, ever occuring on that day.

Flirty GA in NY (eg LGA). Um .. put that on your Christmas wish list!

While the GAs at LGA are competent at getting the planes out .. flirty is about the last thing I would call 99% of them. The other 1% I might call something a lot worse!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
thank you for the good wishes!

Originally Posted by JDiver
If I had an upgrade pending, I'd try every trick that has been extensively documented on this Forum, and hope mostly leisure economy pax were on my flight. It's going to be very crowded.

But, it's gonna be busy, and today is predicted to be the business travel day in years, so good luck all - last minute flyers, road warriors slaving late and getting cold turkey, and those heading back to visit family.

Let's hope we cut others the slack we'd like to get, and do the same here.
JDiver, you are very wise! Not only will it be extremely busy, but we will have amateur travelers out there.

Safe travels to all!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
JDiver, you are very wise! Not only will it be extremely busy, but we will have amateur travelers out there.

Safe travels to all!
My family (mom, brother, sister-in-law and 3 year old niece) will be among them- transiting DFW, no less, en route to the Bay Area. Definitely on the amateur end...but I did get them F awards, so it should be OK.

Be nice to them if you see them

Cheers.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:42 pm

Do the airport crowds thin out at some point Weds evening? I'm scheduled to land at 7:30p at JFK (from MAD).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.