Share AA Miles limit raised to 100,000 until 31st December

 
Old Nov 2, 07, 7:32 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,456
Share AA Miles limit raised to 100,000 until 31st December

I just noticed this evening that the usual 15,000 miles limit on receiving AA miles when transferred from another account has been raised to 100,000 until December 31st.

Might be useful for people like me who have signed numerous people up to accounts over the years with a few miles in that now lie dormant. @:-)

Otherwise its no more a bad deal than usual. Apologies if this has been posted before anywhere but I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere else?
spanishflea is offline  
Old Nov 2, 07, 7:43 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Posts: 9,529
I noticed that while trading on CC !

Personally I have no plans right now for the miles but if you need a bunch of them its still better to combine some orphan miles to get a C Class award than paying 4 grand for the same ticket !
skywalkerLAX is offline  
Old Nov 2, 07, 7:51 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Siesta Key
Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Posts: 9,697
I thought the usual was 40K miles but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the heads up!
andrzej is offline  
Old Nov 2, 07, 8:51 pm
  #4  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,303
That's the amount one can buy - I think Share is normally 15k. It's a nice Christmas gift for someone, and much cheaper than buying / gifting for them.

Gift (or buy) 25,000 miles: $625 + $30 transaction fee
Share 25,000 miles: $200 + $30 transaction fee


Originally Posted by andrzej View Post
I thought the usual was 40K miles but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the heads up!
JDiver is offline  
Old Nov 2, 07, 9:29 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Worldwide - Cruising altitude
Programs: LH Senator, Delta PM, AA Platinum, UA Dirt Grey, British Midland, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 414
Delta always has great offers for transferring miles (transaction fees waived, 1 cent per mile, etc.)

These offers are not constantly but I have never see similar on AA
Fly2LAX is offline  
Old Nov 6, 07, 11:47 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: DL PM, AA PLT/2MM
Posts: 133
Do miles that are shared get added to the recipient's lifetime mileage total?
cawa is offline  
Old Nov 6, 07, 11:58 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC (but temporarily MIA)
Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Posts: 29,628
Originally Posted by cawa View Post
Do miles that are shared get added to the recipient's lifetime mileage total?
Yes.
vasantn is offline  
Old Nov 6, 07, 12:42 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: DFW
Programs: AA/CO/UA Marriott
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post

Gift (or buy) 25,000 miles: $625 + $30 transaction fee
Share 25,000 miles: $200 + $30 transaction fee
There are no transaction fees right now to gift or buy.
moldavian is offline  
Old Nov 6, 07, 3:01 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ORD
Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Posts: 3,473
Originally Posted by moldavian View Post
There are no transaction fees right now to gift or buy.
Where did you see that? The site shows fees.
badjuju is offline  
Old Nov 6, 07, 3:06 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York, Paris
Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Posts: 1,590
Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
Where did you see that? The site shows fees.

The fees apply fully. The only break is that 25K miles cost $ 200 instead of the usual 1 cent and above per mile.
Cofyknsult is offline  
Old Nov 6, 07, 3:13 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Posts: 5,800
What AA is hoping (I bet) is that you transfer a bunch of miles to family and friends .. and they use SOME of them for AAwards.

Then with the new 18 month expiration policy in effect, AA will hope these 'shared' miles will be forgotten about and left to expire.

Inform any recipient of your miles about this 18 month exipiration policy and MAKE SURE the person does not let them expire!
JGR01 is offline  
Old Nov 6, 07, 3:43 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); BD GLD; Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Posts: 515
Kind of off topic, but my father has ~137,000 miles in his account which expired in 2002. AAdvantage Cust Svc said they'd reactivate the miles for $1430, or just over a penny per mile. I think that is worth doing. Thoughts?
gopherblue is offline  
Old Nov 6, 07, 3:45 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: DFW
Programs: AA/CO/UA Marriott
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
Where did you see that? The site shows fees.
My bad... it's only waived if you buy 25k or more.
moldavian is offline  
Old Nov 6, 07, 4:28 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,723
Originally Posted by gopherblue View Post
Kind of off topic, but my father has ~137,000 miles in his account which expired in 2002. AAdvantage Cust Svc said they'd reactivate the miles for $1430, or just over a penny per mile. I think that is worth doing. Thoughts?
That depends. What do HE think the miles are worth?
For me, that would be an easy choice.
mvoight is offline  
Old Nov 6, 07, 4:30 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,723
Originally Posted by JGR01 View Post
What AA is hoping (I bet) is that you transfer a bunch of miles to family and friends .. and they use SOME of them for AAwards.

Then with the new 18 month expiration policy in effect, AA will hope these 'shared' miles will be forgotten about and left to expire.

Inform any recipient of your miles about this 18 month exipiration policy and MAKE SURE the person does not let them expire!
It might be better to simply keep your miles and get them awards, unless you are talking about topping off miles they already have.
When you share, not only are you paying for the transfer cost, but also giving up the value of your miles.
mvoight is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: