Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club: Comments from various Staffers re Amex Plt access

Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed

I was on a bit of a trip this last week and hit several AC's. I asked a couple of the AAngels how the new Amex Plt access program was going. Following are their general comments. This is not meant as a negative, but if there are readers of this forum who do access the AC by their Amex Plt .. it might be interesting to learn the trends of their fellow accessers!

Shoppers - From several AC staffers I heard that the new Amex Plt people were shoppers of the supplies at the ACs. They stuffed sodas and packaged goods into their carryons. While I know probably we AC members are also somewhat guilty of this, the comment was made that the Amex Plt were 'excessive' and even when reminded (friendly) that the refreshments were there for their enjoyment while in the AC ... they continued shopping!

RuleBenders - We members know the rules of how many guests can be admitted and mostly do try to stay within the limit. Apparently the Amex Plts have learned the 'rule' is that 'relatives' can come in and not be classed as a guest ... so when two couples arrive (one an Amex Plt with spouse and two other people) the other couple is always the 'brother' or 'sister' of the Amex Plt holder. The AAngels are trying to remind them that relatives must live in the same household (address) to be admitted not as a guest, but apparently this is a loosing battle. One AC AAngel told me she had to admit three couples (plus assorted children) who claimed they were all 'related'. While members sometimes ask the AAngel to bend the rules a bit, it seems (at least to the AAngels) that the Amex Plts are EXPECTING the rules to be bent for them just by using the phrase 'my brother' or 'my sister'.

Newbies - Several AAngels commented that Amex Plt people were not following 'common courtesy' in using the clubs.... such as letting kids run wild, abusing the 15 minute limit on AC computers and talking loudly on cell phones (ala bragging where they are and in some clubs bragging they are getting free booze). While members are not always perfect, it seemed to the AAngels that the Amex Plt's were more often in need of reminding where they were and the purpose of the AC (a quiet spot to relax before the flight or deal with Irreg Op issues).

Not 'logged' - As a member, our AC membership is logged on our name record which can be accessed via the PNR (ticket). Also, when we check in at the AC, we are 'logged' as being at the AC (we are not logged out of the AC when we leave) at least the Gate and the AC knows we are/were in the AC. Many AAngels will look for AC members when they have Irreg Ops and start working on helping us.. whether or not we are actually IN the AC (the presumption is we probably will show up and ask for help!). In both cases, the Amex Plt users are not 'logged' in the computer in a similar manner. So the AC AAngels have NO idea that these people have 'a status' and should be accommodated in Irreg Ops .. Also, the Gate and the AC has no idea that the Amex Plts is actually AT the AC if they are not at the gate for boarding/etc. One AAngel stated that they felt this was the biggest BENEFIT of being a member (so the AC AAngels could watch out for them) and in several cases this has swayed AC members with Amex Plt to renew their paid AC membership.

Limited Space - Some ACs are small and do not have loads of space. On AAngel commented that if the club is 'full' (no chairs or close to the Fire Marshall limit) there was nothing that they could do. All AC members and Amex Plt holders (and Day Pass and OW Tier members) are equal when it comes to admission. When a club is 'full' they worried that they could not turn anyone away. With members being 'logged' .. the AAngels would know about how many members might show up. With the Amex Plt's not being 'logged' ... the AAngels have no way of knowing whether to expect 5 pax or 20 couples. I know in cases where the AC was 'too full' for my personal liking (as in cannot find a seat), I take care of any business I have with upgrade/reroute/Irreg Ops with the AAngel and then leave.

Last night I was the beneficiary of a GREAT AAngel. She found my next flight was running 1+ hours late (which would cause the next connection to go bad) and was able to grab an upgrade seat on the earlier flight. All before I arrived at the AC. When I arrived I told her that I had checked luggage and she made numerous phone calls (to the AA baggage people as well as the inbound carrier - non AA) to get the bags re-tagged onto the new flights. ALL WENT PERFECTLY. The AAngel said if I were an Amex Plt, she would not have known about me (they are listed just as a regular pax while I was listed as an AC member) and would have not had the time (or seat availability) to provide the same level of service.

Please, do not flame me .. I am letting you know the perception of the AAngels to this new program.

Last edited by JGR01; Nov 2, 2007 at 3:36 pm
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:29 pm

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
Free booze? How do you get that? I've been to an AC for the day pass they offered last year to elite members and didn't see any free booze.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I wonder if us AC freeloaders are as bad in the Regus lounges

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by firespirit
Free booze? How do you get that? I've been to an AC for the day pass they offered last year to elite members and didn't see any free booze.
Varies by club location (mainly international locations) as well as your travel destination (if you are flying to an international destination you get chits for drinkies).

There is also one US domestic AC where wine/beer are complimentary that I am aware of. Its the fact they do not currently have a liquor (hard) license so offer this as a 'bonus'.

I wonder if us AC freeloaders are as bad in the Regus lounges
Would be happy to undertake a road trip with ya and ask the Regus staffers about that!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by firespirit
I think the OP was referring to "international" clubs (defined as clubs outside the USA/Canada/Puerto Rico, with the exception of HNL).
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by JGR01

Last night I was the beneficiary of a GREAT AAngel. She found my next flight was running 1+ hours late (which would cause the next connection to go bad) and was able to grab an upgrade seat on the earlier flight. All before I arrived at the AC.
I have been a member for 4 years now and EXP for 5 but not once have I received a pro-active service like the one described above. Hard for me to believe, but I'm not saying that it didn't happen.

I did get great service once I was in front of the AC agent(s) and I appreciated that part. btw, one of the best was just this week in SAN. Thanks Barbara!

I did not renew my membership this time around. It expired 2 days ago. Most of my travels next year will be international with only about 10% truly domestic so $300 was not worth it.

To me the membership was worth it as long as each AC visit was no more than $10 or less. With only about 2-4 domestic trips next year, I can't justify the expenditure, especially since it's out of pocket money.

I still have a domestic trip coming up in 10 days or so and I will miss the sanctuary but that's the way it goes.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Quote from OP

""Last night I was the beneficiary of a GREAT AAngel. She found my next flight was running 1+ hours late (which would cause the next connection to go bad) and was able to grab an upgrade seat on the earlier flight. All before I arrived at the AC. When I arrived I told her that I had checked luggage and she made numerous phone calls (to the AA baggage people as well as the inbound carrier - non AA) to get the bags re-tagged onto the new flights. ALL WENT PERFECTLY. The AAngel said if I were an Amex Plt, she would not have known about me (they are listed just as a regular pax while I was listed as an AC member) and would have not had the time (or seat availability) to provide the same level of service.""

What am I missing? Did you call the AC and tell them you were coming? How would they pick your PNR out of the air before you arrived?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDflyer
Quote from OP

""Last night I was the beneficiary of a GREAT AAngel. She found my next flight was running 1+ hours late (which would cause the next connection to go bad) and was able to grab an upgrade seat on the earlier flight. All before I arrived at the AC. When I arrived I told her that I had checked luggage and she made numerous phone calls (to the AA baggage people as well as the inbound carrier - non AA) to get the bags re-tagged onto the new flights. ALL WENT PERFECTLY. The AAngel said if I were an Amex Plt, she would not have known about me (they are listed just as a regular pax while I was listed as an AC member) and would have not had the time (or seat availability) to provide the same level of service.""

What am I missing? Did you call the AC and tell them you were coming? How would they pick your PNR out of the air before you arrived?

The AC AAngels can get a list of AC members on specific flights. Since this location has limited flights, when the later flight was posted as running late, they pulled the list of AC members on that flight and started trying to look for alternatives (and blocking seats on the earlier flight).

Yes surprised me .. when I walked in and they said 'oh you know your flight is running late .. would you like the earlier flight'.

Granted only smaller ACs tend to be proactive .. but it is a great feature IMHO when it works!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by andrzej
I have been a member for 4 years now and EXP for 5 but not once have I received a pro-active service like the one described above. Hard for me to believe, but I'm not saying that it didn't happen.
I have received this service at STL probably 10 times in the past 5 years. Given the number of times that STL-ORD has 1+ hour delays due to someone breathing on an aircraft there, the AC AAngels have rebooked me on an earlier flight that had availability.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by IMissTW
I have received this service at STL probably 10 times in the past 5 years. Given the number of times that STL-ORD has 1+ hour delays due to someone breathing on an aircraft there, the AC AAngels have rebooked me on an earlier flight that had availability.
Perhaps it's more of a possibility if it's your home port and they get to know you with time. Unfortunately AA does not have a club in TPA and I'm sure they won't in SRQ once they start 2 AE flights to MIA next month. I did get to know some great agents in ORD, DFW, LAX and some smaller clubs but I still have never received proactive rebooking because my flights were running early/late or whatever.

The agents I got to know were great once I asked at the club(s) for a rebooking/favor/or whatever.....
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by andrzej
Same here.

Although just a member for 2 years, I can't say I've received any type of service I would classify as exceptional. The only possible exception wasn't even a trip where I entered on my AC card but on a connection from an international flight where I entered on my EXP status/J int'l seat -- where the great agent at LGA not only got the 4 of us on a much earlier flight to DFW but she was able to confirm me (and only me) in F...the other 3 co-workers were still happy to get home hours earlier than scheduled. She was very chit-chatty with me, and my boss asked if I got her phone number (she was at least 30 years older than I was ) -- I asked him which one of us were in first .
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:32 pm

Programs: Amex Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond,
The most recent time I accessed the AC at SNA, it was so jammed packed, you were lucky if you had much room to even stand. I'm one of those that accesses the AC via Amex Plat., so I guess we're the ones crowding the clubs.

The downfall with the AC is that they are, by far, the worst of the selection. With no free alcohol and a ridiculously chinsy selection of snacks, they don't offer much. Note: I am not one of those that fills their carryon with snacks or drinks 5 drinks while in the club. Just stating the facts by comparing other airlines.

I really really wanted to keep AA as my # 1 airline, but the more I'm on the road, the more I see that they are one of the worst. It's sad because connecting in ATL via Delta or IAH via Continental really sucks. Then again, it all sucks, it's the commercial airline industry of the 21st century and misery for us road warriors.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JGR01
The AC AAngels can get a list of AC members on specific flights. Since this location has limited flights, when the later flight was posted as running late, they pulled the list of AC members on that flight and started trying to look for alternatives (and blocking seats on the earlier flight).

Yes surprised me .. when I walked in and they said 'oh you know your flight is running late .. would you like the earlier flight'.

Granted only smaller ACs tend to be proactive .. but it is a great feature IMHO when it works!
I had this kind of service as well. We had upgraded and the seats were not together...and the system would not let me move to an available seat. I called EXP desk and they said it was all set. I walked into the SJC club before our flight and one of my favorite AAngels said something like "I've been working on fixing the problem with your BPs. Here they are." Seems the EXP desk hadn't fixed it, but she saw an issue and took care of it before we arrived.

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
There is indeed a difference between a AC member and other visitors, as there should always be. Otherwise why should one be a member?

There was a post regarding no alcoholic drinks. I have not visited AC since the new AMEX PLT arrangement was announced. When I enter on my OW status, I ask for drink coupons. I do not know if AMEX PLT can do the same.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I have been fortunate enough to receive some peremptory help from the AAngels; that, extraordinary assistance during irrops and the availability of meetings rooms will probably keep me in the ranks of AC members for some time to come.

But it is not only the AMEX Plat folks who can be a challenge to civility: as an example, and I wish it were the only one, the last time departing to Europe and relaxing / supping at the ORD Flagship Lounge, a family entered with two "adults" and two sub-adults - they ate and drank sloppily (leaving debris), monopolized the computers (and the female subadult, after monopolizing one computer caused it to fail,) loudly used their cell phones and in general caused disorder and disharmony. I have experienced worse over the years in various Admirals Clubs from members and status guests, but have experienced the same at Presidents Clubs, etc.

Twice, I have had to report contract staff for using foul or obscene language (in two different clubs) as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.