Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Book Open-Jaw Awards (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2007, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
How to Book Open-Jaw Awards (consolidated)

Don't see this on aa.com nor did I see it when I searched on FT.

I would like to use award tickets to take my family from SFO->JFK and then RDU->SFO. Can this be done?
Old Oct 28, 2007, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by pushback
Don't see this on aa.com nor did I see it when I searched on FT.

I would like to use award tickets to take my family from SFO->JFK and then RDU->SFO. Can this be done?

The good ole phone at the moment....
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by andrzej
The good ole phone at the moment....
And pay the fee. No option to use aa.com for this.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I think if you book it as a regular RT and then call to change it to an open-jaw, you will avoid the phone fee.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 3:40 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
not only can you book the open jaw but a mileage award will also allow you to fly jfk to rdu ( if on the schedule) at no extra charge. the award actually allows three legs.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by vasantn
I think if you book it as a regular RT and then call to change it to an open-jaw, you will avoid the phone fee.
I thought about doing that but I believe there is a $100 fee for changing routing.

Originally Posted by abk
not only can you book the open jaw but a mileage award will also allow you to fly jfk to rdu ( if on the schedule) at no extra charge. the award actually allows three legs.
Tempting but part of what I want my kids to experience on this trip is a good old-fashioned train ride from Penn Station to Raleigh. Does Amtrak partner with AA? I doubt it. I have seen some German awards with train rides included but not with Amtrak.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:28 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
you are much braver than me. i actually looked at the train schedule and it is around 9 1/2 hours. if i tried that with my family they would through me off the train.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abk
you are much braver than me. i actually looked at the train schedule and it is around 9 1/2 hours. if i tried that with my family they would through me off the train.

Well, we did a sleeper (compartment) about nine years ago from Raleigh to Orlando--it was fantastic. Though that's a shorter ride and the kids were more "compact" at the time. I'm torn as to whether or not to do a sleeper again or let them look out the window and see America.

Another option is to skip NY (they have all seen it several times) and do DC. They have never seen DC--then go to Raleigh from there.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:01 pm
abk

for four of the past five summers we have flown to raleigh to go to wrightsville beach and visit my wifes parents. then we have gone back to raleigh and flown to wash dc one, boston once and new york twice. for what it is worth, for me new york was easiest as my brother has no kids and a big manhatten apartment but when all was said and done they voted boston as their favorite place ( although i think it may have been the canoli they eating at mike in the north end). this year we decided on a house at the beach for the whole time.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
Originally Posted by pushback
I thought about doing that but I believe there is a $100 fee for changing routing.
The way to avoid the fee is to put the award on hold online. Call AA to change the segments but don't purchase it over the phone. Then go back online and complete the purchase.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by acf573
The way to avoid the fee is to put the award on hold online. Call AA to change the segments but don't purchase it over the phone. Then go back online and complete the purchase.
Exactly, sorry I wasn't clear (I said "book" insted of "hold").
Old Aug 3, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Open Jaw Award

Is the following possible using a single AA Award?

Out bound:
BWI-JFK-CDG

Return:
FCO-JFK-BWI

We are planning a trip for my 40th and want to see Paris and Rome. I thought this may be a good option with a nice train ride from Paris to Rome.

BWI-JFK-FCO-JFK-BWI comes in at 40K miles.

How many miles would my open jaw example take??

Thank you!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Is the following possible using a single AA Award?

Out bound:
BWI-JFK-CDG

Return:
FCO-JFK-BWI

We are planning a trip for my 40th and want to see Paris and Rome. I thought this may be a good option with a nice train ride from Paris to Rome.

BWI-JFK-FCO-JFK-BWI comes in at 40K miles.

How many miles would my open jaw example take??

Thank you!

Open jaws do not add to the miles used for the award, so still 40k. I highly recommend easyjet or another lcc from paris to rome. That would be a VERY long train ride and I am guessing that a LCC is cheaper than the train.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by envgeo
Open jaws do not add to the miles used for the award, so still 40k. I highly recommend easyjet or another lcc from paris to rome. That would be a VERY long train ride and I am guessing that a LCC is cheaper than the train.
Great-its good to know about the 40k miles. Your suggestion of the LCC is a good one. After I posted, I check the length of the train ride. TOOOO long.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by envgeo
The only thing with this is that you can not book it online. You must go to an agent which will add their fee. I have been able to get the fee waived but I would not count on it. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.