Search

Checking Baggage Through on International Transfers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Checking Baggage Through on International Transfers

Hi

I know I should know, but it's been a while since I've flown within the USA.

I had a look at the stickies but couldn't find the answer.

When flying SFO-JFK with AA and then JFK-LHR with BA, can I check my bags through? They're separate tickets. Or do I need to collect them at JFK, change terminals and check them in again?

Similarly, when flying CUN-JFK with AA and then JFK-LHR with BA, can I check my bags through? Again, separate tickets. Or do I need to collect them at JFK, change terminals and check them in again?

Can I get boarding cards all the way through or do I need to check-in at JFK?

I'm trying to ease the pain of TFR in JFK as I only have 2-2.5 hrs connections each time.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ethan
When flying SFO-JFK with AA and then JFK-LHR with BA, can I check my bags through?
Yes.

Or do I need to collect them at JFK, change terminals and check them in again?
No.

Similarly, when flying CUN-JFK with AA and then JFK-LHR with BA, can I check my bags through?
No. You must claim your bags at JFK at re-check them. I believe you can re-check them with AA, though.

Can I get boarding cards all the way through ...?
Yes.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, CO Platinum, SPG Platinum
The main thing to be worried about is the need to re-check luggage and go through security again, but you should have enough time with 2 to 2.5 hours.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by CCFlyer17
The main thing to be worried about is the need to re-check luggage and go through security again, but you should have enough time with 2 to 2.5 hours.
On the SFO-JFK-LHR, the OP will not have to re-check luggage, but will have to change terminals and re-clear security. If the weather is ok, I'd just walk from the AA terminal to the BA terminal.

On the CUN-JFK-LHR, the OP will have to both re-check luggage and re-clear security. Others can confirm, but I believe that the OP can get AA to tag the luggage all the way to LHR and thus re-check it with AA at JFK, which will allow the OP to avoid having to schlep it over to the BA terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.