Unfriendly flight LAX/NRT - Told not to take pics - Long

Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:44 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I have to say that I agree with the rule. Think of it from the other (nefarious) side. Yes, you can find drawings on the internet, but if one were planning something, well, there's nothing like firsthand intelligence. And no, that shouldn't stop anyone from taking what are obviously family photos, but documenting precise layouts and protocols does raise potential risks. How do you know for sure that 9/11 was "an event unrelated to picture taking over 6 years ago"? The 9/11 Commission report states that the terrorists took a number of surveillance flights in preparation for their attacks. Do you know for a fact that none of them had cameras? And yes, maybe they could have gotten the same info with careful sketches, but a camera would be much easier, wouldn't it?

We have the same rule on the NYC subway. Of course, no one cares if some tourist takes a photo of their family on the subway, but I certainly sit up and take notice if someone starts taking multiple pix of the car/doors/emergency equipment itself with no friends around. Actually, this happened about a year ago - a closer look revealed that the photographer was wearing a conspicuous press pass around his neck, probably because of this very issue. I won't speak for Londoners and Madrid-ers, but I would guess they'd do the same.

As for the OP, the FA definitely should have taken a more professional approach and simply informed him of the rule. Yes, maybe our civil liberties are being trampled and common sense is not being used enough. However, I respectfully submit that some of the comments others have made herein are one-sided oversimplifications of the current situation.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:46 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
I was encouraged by an FA when I asked about taking a pic of my 777 Suite; she actually offered to take a pic of me IN the suite.
However, I have been advised not to take pictures forward in the plane, i.e., toward the cockpit.
Also, a BA FA told me that no pics whatsoever were allowed.
In recent past (last 12 months) TG didn't seem to care, nor did JL as in both cases I actually fotographed or recorded FA's in duty.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Post Here's the AA policy on photos in American Way magazine

Here's the exact language from American Way magazine (Oct 15, 2007, p. 112):

"Use of still and video cameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording personal events. Photography or video recording of airline personnel, equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited."

So, sensu stricto, she was correct, albeit IMO the policy is paranoid - OTOH AA lost aircraft, personnel and passengers on September 11, 2001, so it is somewhat understandable. But there is no reason, ever, for an FA to be nasty to a passenger, unless that passenger is Gerard Finneran - and then it's time for plastic bracelets.

Some UK air enthusiasts were locked up in the clink in Turkey for photographing civil aircraft, and it is illegal to do that in a number of places. I was censured and risked camera confiscation at NBO for taking a photo of the aircraft and tarmac - I was told "President (Daniel arap Moi at the time( could be on any of those airplanes!" , and I've been scolded extensively for taking a couple of photos in Paddington Station in London (prior to the Tube incidents.) Be aware - even such harmless activity can get one into trouble.

We won't go into the logic of it - it's NOT OK to photo the interior of a 772, but if I photograph Lady JDiver in the cabin, it is technically OK. And I can see plenty of photos of a 772 cockpit and much more on the Internet.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:57 pm

Here is the wording on the COMPANY policy:

Oops, JDiver beat me to it!

Last edited by skylady; Oct 22, 2007 at 8:01 pm Reason: dup
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:01 pm

Shoot! That's absolutely no fun at all - it's verbatimthe same as reproduced in American Way. We want inconsistency! Click!

Originally Posted by skylady
Here is the wording on the COMPANY policy:

The use of cameras is permitted during the flight for the recording of personal events. Photography/recording of airline personnel, equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:06 pm

The FA in question actually had the spirit of the policy correct, but as we know, the delivery wasn't so great.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:37 pm

is it ok to take pictures out the window under this policy? it seems like you would not be photographing anything prohibited, but i've never tried it.

SFO recently had an interesting display of 'out the window' photos by a United frequent flyer (near the united express gates). i guess united allows it?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:03 pm

Some airlines may think the sky belongs to them, but until they can show me a properly recorded deed, I will click away.

Originally Posted by wrose99
is it ok to take pictures out the window under this policy? it seems like you would not be photographing anything prohibited, but i've never tried it.

SFO recently had an interesting display of 'out the window' photos by a United frequent flyer (near the united express gates). i guess united allows it?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:07 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Cameras now can be concealed in cell phones and almost any miniature device. So one can easily take pictures without anyone knowing. How would aa prevent such photos from being taken?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:08 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Ok people...it's simple. We all know that the delivery of this FAs demeanor toward the OP was rude, surly, and uncalled for. Her behavior through-out the flight was uncalled for. Something I'd probably write a letter and complain about. (just don't forget to commend the other two flights)

However, the policy is there in black and white. It's in the American Way Magazine in the Passenger Entertainment section. Has been, even way before 9/11. Yes, BEFORE 9/11!

It's been a rule since the late 70s, early '80s hijackings. (may not have always been printed since then, but it's been around much longer than...wait for it, 9/11!

You make take pictures of family/friends, but never the operation of crews nor aircraft.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:29 pm

It seems that AA has two kinds of FAs. Nice ones and rude ones. You can see actually see it by just looking at the uniform.
The nice ones have only white stripes, as soon as you see one yellow stripe the likelihood that this person is rude is extremely high.
So if AA coulld get rid of all the ones with yellow stripes they would be a much nicer, friendlier airline.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:32 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
....You make take pictures of family/friends, but never the operation of crews nor aircraft.
While I agree with you .. I just wonder how all the photos on airliners.net get taken to be published there?

One would think the airlines would be the first to try and shut down a site that has posted 'illegal' photos.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by JGR01
While I agree with you .. I just wonder how all the photos on airliners.net get taken to be published there?

One would think the airlines would be the first to try and shut down a site that has posted 'illegal' photos.

And definitely Flyertalk would not be one of those websites...
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dstan
I have to say that I agree with the rule. Think of it from the other (nefarious) side. Yes, you can find drawings on the internet, but if one were planning something, well, there's nothing like firsthand intelligence. And no, that shouldn't stop anyone from taking what are obviously family photos, but documenting precise layouts and protocols does raise potential risks. How do you know for sure that 9/11 was "an event unrelated to picture taking over 6 years ago"?
You can find more than "drawings" on the internet.
You can find tons of pictures and even diagrams with measurements.

I am not convinced that taking pictures on a plane is a security issue.

What possible new info could terrorist gain that isn't easy enough to find without flying?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight

I am not convinced that taking pictures on a plane is a security issue.
I would just say its an invasion of privacy for other passengers. There have been once or twice I looked up and somebody was doing a 360 degree video tape of the cabin. In one instance a women was doing an up close video of everyone in the cabin - this was on an AA flight from LHR to JFK earlier this year.

If people want to take pictures of their traveling companions, the meal service and seats or out the windows, fine - the empty cabin fine, but I would certainly understand the intrusive nature of being photographed by people you dont know.

A rule like that also helps them protect celebrities where paparazzi could easily make a good living taking pictures of celebrities stuffing food in their faces in flight.

The enforcement of the rule in this instance seems to be the problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.