Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Which miles count towards account Lifetime Miles? (consolidated)

Which miles count towards account Lifetime Miles? (consolidated)

Old Mar 25, 11, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingtoFlyAway View Post
I hope this hasn't been asked, I searched several times with no luck. Do miles purchased count toward Lifetime Gold/Platinum? What about miles received by a sharing transfer to you? And for the kicker, would miles you earned but then transfered away still count toward LG/LP?
How about the sticky at the top of the forum that says "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!"? It's got the info right there for you....
Old Mar 25, 11, 5:32 pm

Sorry to waste your time, searched a dozen word combinations before posting.

**Edit actually I don't see that this answers the question, excep that it say lifetime can be earned by any miles accumulated. I'll grant that purchased miles counting is probably a given. But it seems to me that transfering miles is a very different question and could be an exception. What if you and I each transfer each other the maximum of 100k miles/year? At 1 point/mile transfer cost, this could really speed up LG/LP status.

I'm not saying anyone should know the answer, just that the FAQ doesn't seem to answer it. I'm just getting into FF programs and realizing this could pay off hugely if used aggressively. 5 years with 100k transfers/year and 100k flying/credit card purchases, etc. and I would have LG.

Last edited by FlyingtoFlyAway; Mar 25, 11 at 5:38 pm
Old Mar 25, 11, 5:33 pm

Sorry to waste your time, searched a dozen word combinations before posting.
Never a waste of time, welcome to Flyertalk. ^
Old Mar 25, 11, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
All miles from all sources currently advance the Program to Date counter.

The only exception would be miles redeposited into your own account (from canceling an award ticket). Redepositing your own miles does not advance the counter, IME.
Old Mar 25, 11, 5:41 pm

As ESpen36 mentions above, the "all" mentioned in the FAQ would include transfers and would need to be new miles, not miles you'd earned and redeposited (i.e. refunded awards).

It actually sounds like you want to earn 100K and find another individual with 100K in their account and transfer the maximum amount on a yearly basis, correct?
Old Mar 25, 11, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM
The 100k mile limit is only in effect until March 31 (normally 60k send and 15k receive according to AA's page). With the 25% bonus, and factoring in the $30 transaction fee and 25k limit/transaction, it amounts to spending $1120 for 25k RDMs (4.48 cents/mile) and an extra 125k lifetime miles.

With citicard churning mostly dried up, this doesn't seem like THAT bad an idea, assuming you believe the lifetime counter will still matter for status in the future.
Old Mar 25, 11, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by EXP4ME View Post
As ESpen36 mentions above, the "all" mentioned in the FAQ would include transfers and would need to be new miles, not miles you'd earned and redeposited (i.e. refunded awards).

It actually sounds like you want to earn 100K and find another individual with 100K in their account and transfer the maximum amount on a yearly basis, correct?
Yes--either a one way transfer if the other individual is willing to sell me the miles cheaply, or transfer back and forth. What the real question is, and I can't find this hving been addressed, is what happens when you transfer miles away from your account. Do you lose them in regards to lifetime status?

Also I think the cost is $.0089/mile: 25k + 25% bonus is 31250 miles for $250 + $30. $280/31250 = $.0089

Last edited by FlyingtoFlyAway; Mar 25, 11 at 6:34 pm
Old Mar 25, 11, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM
Yes--either a one way transfer if the other individual is willing to sell me the miles cheaply, or transfer back and forth. What the real question is, and I can't find this hving been addressed, is what happens when you transfer miles away from your account. Do you lose them in regards to lifetime status?

Also I think the cost is $.0089/mile: 25k + 25% bonus is 31250 miles for $250 + $30. $280/31250 = $.0089
Only the bonus constitutes NEW miles. We're assuming two people do a swap back and forth.
Old Mar 25, 11, 8:15 pm

Your post was moved into an existing thread with lengthy information on the topic of lifetime status. Lots of good info in here if you read through it.

Your question regarding what happens when you transfer miles out of your account is addressed in the first few posts. Short answer: you don't lose them, just like you don't use miles you redeem for awards.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: