Redemptions to Kathmandu, Nepal

Old Oct 14, 07, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Redemptions to Kathmandu, Nepal

Rather thankfully, Nepal falls into the definition of the Indian Subcontinent when it comes to AAdvantage redemptions. From December Dragonair are starting a service from Hong Kong (the first and only OW service to Nepal) which will work nicely for access from North America and Asia but I'm a bit confused as to how that would work in terms of access from Europe.

Europe to the Indian subcontinent is 80k in F. However the "most direct" (read: only) option to Kathmandu is via HKG. But as HKG is in Asia which is a 140k F destination how would one get to Kathmandu from Europe and how many miles would you have to use?
Old Oct 31, 07, 10:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, TK Elite, HHonors Gold, UA, AA, RAM
Actually, there are other options available. Gulf Air flies from Bahrain (BAH) to Kathmandu (KTM) on daily basis. In terms of getting to Bahrain itself there are many options including Gulf Air itself as well as other airlines like Turkish (although the partnership agreement w/ AA is about to be terminated) as well as British Airways and Royal Jordanian (the latter connects in Amman).

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 31, 07, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
S2 (Air Sahara/Jetlite) is still an AAdvantage partner for 2 more weeks, with daily flights DEL-KTM. Availability looks wide open on just about any day until the end of the schedule. This will be in economy class, but can be added on to any Europe-India award travel with no increase in miles.
Old Jul 17, 08, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Just redeem on GF. I just flew to KTM earlier today on GF.

I actually redeemed CAI-BAH-KTM-BAH-AMM-DAM in C for 50K AA miles which IMHO is quite good value.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: