Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2007 AA status (EXP / Plat / Gold) requalification issues / questions / concerns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2007 AA status (EXP / Plat / Gold) requalification issues / questions / concerns

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold

Guys,

Need you advice on this one, ran a search but did not find a definitive answer. I am falling short for elite status qualification by about 3000 miles after I tally upcoming flights.

Can Ms Johannesj transfer miles from her account into mine to bail me out?

Can I transfer Marriott Reward points to AA to maintain my status? I know that I will take a significant hit on the transfer of hotel point to miles but to maintain status it is worth it. How long would it take to post, rather would it hit my AA account in time?

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to All ^
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by johannesj
ran a search but did not find a definitive answer.
Is this definitive enough for you?
https://www.aa.com/content/AAdvantag...irements.jhtml
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Guys,

Need you advice on this one, ran a search but did not find a definitive answer. I am falling short for elite status qualification by about 3000 miles after I tally upcoming flights.

Can I transfer Marriott Reward points to AA to maintain my status? I know that I will take a significant hit on the transfer of hotel point to miles but to maintain status it is worth it. How long would it take to post, rather would it hit my AA account in time?

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to All ^
I'm sorry to report that transferring miles from any source will not solve your problem, as you need Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM's) to maintain your status (you can also maintain status by earning the appropriate number of Elite Qualifying Points (EQP) or by having flown the appropriate number of segments for the tier status).

If you transfer miles into your account, you can use those miles for upgrades, award tickets, etc., but not to get to, or to maintain, elite status.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:07 am

No
Earn elite-status qualifying points, miles and segments when you purchase eligible fare tickets and fly on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, Aer Lingus (through March 31, 2007), Alaska Airlines (including Horizon Airlines), British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Finnair, Iberia, LAN (including LAN Peru), Qantas Airways and/or American Airlines codeshare flights*.
and that's all.

Last edited by WhoME; Dec 21, 2006 at 10:07 am Reason: you guys type fast!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver

Can I transfer Marriott Reward points to AA to maintain my status?
No.

You can do a mileage run or do a Status Buyback.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
Thanks to all. I guess I will need to squeeze in a mileage run.

Thanks again
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Wise decision - Good Luck!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, QF Plat, CP Diamond, BA Gold

I have been looking at my flights past and future and think I may come under 10K miles from requalifing for EXP after 3 years of it. Will they offer me to pay to get it back for a year? I ask because my wife was Gold and when she did not fly at all last year they asked her to pay $250 and she would be Gold again this year. Will this same thing happen to me or is this something that they only do for Gold and Platinum.

Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, QF Plat, CP Diamond, BA Gold
Arrow 2007 AA status (EXP / Plat / Gold) requalification issues / questions / concerns

(N.B. and disclaimer: This is a moderator- cloned post to maintain date / time position within the thread, not actually posted by the OP.)

This thread has been merged to provide a single thread for questions pertaining to maintaining / renewal / requalification of AAdvantage status in calendar year 2007 (for status year Mar 1 2008 - Feb 28 2009.)

We've not done this before as far as I can recall, but let's give it a try, so we can avoid unnecessary redundancy and concentrate the issues and replies in one spot if we can.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 6, 2007 at 3:20 pm Reason: add note
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
At the EXP level, though, they're offering you a lot more perks than lower levels that can pay for status if they run short. I wouldn't plan on AA adding EXP to that program. Plenty of time to plan some mileage runs to hold onto your EXP status.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
How many EQP's have you had the previous 3 years, just at or above 100k or have you gone over. Sometimes they will take points from other years and apply them to this one if you've significantly exceeded the 100k requierement and will only be near or around 10k short this year. I would call them now and see if they'd be willing to based on your history. They won't bump you up now, not till december timeframe, but they can give you direction on if you should go on some MR's or if they can confirm that your past history will warrant a free bump.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:40 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Historically, the ability to re-purchase PLT and GLD levels has been announced near December 12-15th the past few years.

EXP has never to date been available for re-purchase.

Personally I doubt that will change. Actually I hope it will not change. The difference in benefits between EXP and other tiers is pretty large ... as tom911 says.

Get you back side on a plane and get them points/miles/segments.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by sportsexec
Will they offer me to pay to get it back for a year?
Highly, highly doubtful.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Paying $250 for AA Gold is not quite worthwhile. AA Gold is not too useful. however, if you can pay $250 to stay on EXP (I doubt that can be done with $250), that is a different story.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by aaflyer1
Sometimes they will take points from other years and apply them to this one if you've significantly exceeded the 100k requierement and will only be near or around 10k short this year.
Really

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.