London Stansted / STN AA Lounge & shower Info

Old Nov 8, 07, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
complimentary breakfast buffet and waitress service for alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks"

There.

Breakfast at 6pm?
Old Nov 8, 07, 5:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA Gold, Accor, Honors Diamond and lots more....
It is a morning flight
Old Nov 8, 07, 8:47 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
Morning Arrival.
Old Nov 8, 07, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by kappa View Post
Thanks for taking the time to clarify matters. I will go along with the use of the word 'loophole' based on the presumption that the single business class airline didn't exist when the APD was initiated.
No, but all first, or acually or even higher class planes did exist, specifically Concorde, where passengers paid the lower (economy) APD!
Old Nov 9, 07, 5:12 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
Originally Posted by Wexflyer View Post
No, but all first, or acually or even higher class planes did exist, specifically Concorde, where passengers paid the lower (economy) APD!
OK, I was not familiar with any all-first configs. So now I understand why the tax was written the way it is and doesn't attempt to define the flight accommodations or what qualifies for different rates.

I made four OW Concorde flights on BA and one on AF - whose costs could only be justified by the time factor. I'm a pretty big guy with broad shoulders and I've been more comfortable in 2x2 seated flights in Economy. The only Concorde flights I really enjoyed was my last after its demise was announced. It was a wedding anniversary RT seated next to my wife, who wanted to have flown it.

But now that you bring this up, I go back to my original feelings about "loophole". I consider it applicable to something that was not anticipated. Obviously there were known one-class flights with varying degrees of luxury (or lack thereof) - ranging from cattle car steerage to flat-beds w/Krug and Beluga caviar. As I earlier surmised, it would have been very difficult to draft a law setting forth the accommodation standards for the two levels of tax.

In any event, my wife and I will be in and out of STN the first week in Dec - but we won't be on AA; and thus due to the 'loophole' will pay the Exchequer only the 'reduced' fee. Also, due to the fare "sale" (that AA didn't match), I will have quite a few $2 Quid to drop at Tesco for the Xmas goodies I can't buy in New York. Finally, I will stop by Harrods Food Court to see if I missed anything.

It wouldn't be December without a trip to what I consider to be the 'Mother Country'. Only there can I find the foods that were lost ...... [I seem to have gone completely OT ... so I'll quit ]
Old Nov 27, 07, 12:07 pm

Anyone taken this flight recently who can confirm the current situation?

Are they using the Witherspoons, or is there even a lounge at all?

I am on this flight on Fri....
Old Jan 17, 08, 9:30 pm

STANSTED flight... shower facilities

Am flying business class this weekend to STN and back on AA 124/125. Anyone know if there are shower facilities on arrival at STN on in the departure area at STN? Thanks so much...
Old Jan 18, 08, 2:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Not in the airport exactly, but they hand out cards for a free shower at the Radisson. It looked like it was either attached to the airport or super close. I was heading home so just discarded it or else I'd have more info...
Old Jan 18, 08, 2:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
It's definitely connected to the airport: http://www.stansted.radissonsas.com/
Old Feb 3, 08, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you get a room or just a pass to the fitness center?
Old Feb 3, 08, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Do you get a room or just a pass to the fitness center?
You get a room.

BTW the hotel isn't directly conected to the airport. Out the front doors, turn left, down a ramp and then about 1 min walk on a covered, but outdoor walkway- no sweat.
Old Feb 3, 08, 5:18 pm

You get a room for about 4 hours.

Last time I took a shower and a nap
Old Feb 18, 08, 10:17 am

stansted lounge

any recent news on whether there is access to a real lounge at stansted (other than the public pub noted in earlier posts)? thanks
Old Feb 18, 08, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by toby182 View Post
any recent news on whether there is access to a real lounge at stansted (other than the public pub noted in earlier posts)? thanks
It never was use of the pub. There is a lounge next to the pub. It is VERY small (seating for 28) which means if the flight is full, there is no space. Nice selection of breakfast food and decent champers with an attendant to help.

This is a temp lounge. The permanent one will open in March or April, I believe
Old Feb 22, 08, 12:47 am

I notice that the 2nd-daily Stansted-JFK flight that was due to begin in May is being cancelled (right now they're all zeroed out). I wonder if AA will abandon the market altogether?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: