TrAAvelperks program coupon restriction

 
Old Oct 2, 07, 9:22 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP; SPG PLT
Posts: 623
TrAAvelperks program coupon restriction

So I signed up for this a while ago since the sign-up fee was less than the single discount one would get on a flight ($100 off each ticket of 2 tix purchased at the same time to the same place for $200 or more each), and you get 2 of these offers every year.

Well my first coupon expires nov 15th, so I tried using it to purchase 1 ticket at $100 off $200 or more, and it said that it doesn't meet the minimum requirement. This puzzles me, because I thought AA would want people to use the less powerful discount of one ticket if people were stupid, or desperate, enough to do it.

Anyone have any ideas to get around this and still get the $100 off? I guess one way would be to trade the $200 off discount in Coup Connection for an unrestricted $100 off AA GC or voucher or something.
ihdihd is offline  
Old Oct 2, 07, 10:55 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portage County, Ohio
Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Posts: 585
All of the TrAAvelperks publicity I have seen references travel with a companion. The way to get around your dilemma would be to travel with a companion.

This is obviously a program geared toward leisure/vacation travelers, who are more likely to travel in pairs than business travelers.
ohioflyer is offline  
Old Oct 2, 07, 11:01 am
  #3  
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Posts: 10,677
Yes, must be for companion travel, with both base fares >$200. You'll probably end up with more than a $200 discount in the end because the taxes are also reduced.

Note that there is also a year-end blackout period from Nov 16, 2007-Jan 3, 2008. See Terms & Conditions link at:
https://traavelperks.com/home/offer....erType=airline
dstan is offline  
Old Oct 2, 07, 11:38 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP; SPG PLT
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by dstan View Post
Yes, must be for companion travel, with both base fares >$200. You'll probably end up with more than a $200 discount in the end because the taxes are also reduced.

Note that there is also a year-end blackout period from Nov 16, 2007-Jan 3, 2008. See Terms & Conditions link at:
https://traavelperks.com/home/offer....erType=airline
Under the reservations section it mentions this:

"Embargo dates: November 16, 2007 - January 3, 2008."

Does that mean travel embargo or reservation blackout? I assume travel, but the note is placed under reservations where the other rules apply to making a reservation, not exactly travelling.
ihdihd is offline  
Old Oct 2, 07, 11:54 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portage County, Ohio
Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by ihdihd View Post
Under the reservations section it mentions this:

"Embargo dates: November 16, 2007 - January 3, 2008."

Does that mean travel embargo or reservation blackout? I assume travel, but the note is placed under reservations where the other rules apply to making a reservation, not exactly travelling.
You cannot travel during these dates. You can make reservations during this period.
ohioflyer is offline  
Old Oct 3, 07, 8:17 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP; SPG PLT
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by ohioflyer View Post
You cannot travel during these dates. You can make reservations during this period.
Thanks for the info. In case anyone is interested, I'll be booking for next year for a vaca for me and the mrs. using the coupon that will expire on nov. 17th. I'll also be posting the coupon to CC in hope that someone will just want to trade it for a regular AA GC worth less than the $200, so that we may both win (I'd rather have $100-$150 to use now than $200 for a future trip). Silly, but my EXP quest is in peril and I see some MRs coming up.
ihdihd is offline  
Old Oct 3, 07, 8:35 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portage County, Ohio
Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by ihdihd View Post
In case anyone is interested, I'll be booking for next year for a vaca for me and the mrs. using the coupon that will expire on nov. 17th.
If your trAAvelperks coupon expires on November 17th, then your travel must be completed by that date (actually November 15th in this case, because of the embargo dates).
ohioflyer is offline  
Old Oct 3, 07, 8:53 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP; SPG PLT
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by ohioflyer View Post
If your trAAvelperks coupon expires on November 17th, then your travel must be completed by that date (actually November 15th in this case, because of the embargo dates).
I'm not so sure about that. Under the general coupon screen it says:

Effective: April 1, 2007
Expiry Date: Nov 17, 2007

In the reservations section, it says:

"Embargo dates: November 16, 2007 - January 3, 2008. "

If I understand it correctly, the expiry date is only for redeeming the coupon (booking a trip).

As for the travel embargo dates, I'm reading it as you can travel on anything you booked between 4/1/07 and 11/17/07 between 11/16/07 and 1/3/08

I can, however, book between now and 11/17 for travel either before 11/16/07 or after 1/3/08.

Since I want to travel between 11/16 and 12/31 for an MR, I would prefer to have a GC to use instead of the $200 off coupon that has this restriction. Someone else, however, might be looking now to book a trip for after 1/3/2008 and can benefit from the $200 off more than, say, a $150 GC or voucher.
ihdihd is offline  
Old Oct 3, 07, 12:24 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portage County, Ohio
Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by ihdihd View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Under the general coupon screen it says:

Effective: April 1, 2007
Expiry Date: Nov 17, 2007

In the reservations section, it says:

"Embargo dates: November 16, 2007 - January 3, 2008. "

If I understand it correctly, the expiry date is only for redeeming the coupon (booking a trip).

As for the travel embargo dates, I'm reading it as you can travel on anything you booked between 4/1/07 and 11/17/07 between 11/16/07 and 1/3/08

I can, however, book between now and 11/17 for travel either before 11/16/07 or after 1/3/08.

Since I want to travel between 11/16 and 12/31 for an MR, I would prefer to have a GC to use instead of the $200 off coupon that has this restriction. Someone else, however, might be looking now to book a trip for after 1/3/2008 and can benefit from the $200 off more than, say, a $150 GC or voucher.
The trAAvelperks companion certificate terms & conditions say this:

The discount must be redeemed at AA.com and all travel completed by the expiration date provided.

And as for your plan of trading this on CC, the t & c's say this:

This discount is valid for two passengers only. It is transferable but may not be bartered or sold. The person redeeming the certificate and booking the flight must be the TrAAvel Perks® member to whom the certificate was awarded, OR his/her spouse or dependent child. Anyone may be designated as the companion traveler on the itinerary.

That sounds as if you, or your spouse or dependent child, must travel.

I realize that the t & c's say at least one thing that FTers have reported is not what actually happens: companions do receive miles. You may want to test out your ideas about expiry date and transferability. This could easily done by starting a booking for next year, for yourself and a companion, and separately, for travel by two complete strangers. You will know if the code will apply a discount before you get to the point where you need to complete the booking.
ohioflyer is offline  
Old Oct 4, 07, 5:35 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP; SPG PLT
Posts: 623
So I tried what you suggested (good suggestion) and here's what came up:

The Promotion Code entered was not valid for your selection. Please click Promotion Code Rules to view details. You may modify your search by selecting 'Start Over'.

This was based on an NYC-FCO ticket in February for 2 people neither of which is me (fictitous).

When I click on the view rules code the real rules show up:


Code:
Promotion Code Rules 
 
Promotion Codes are only valid on AA.com for flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection.
Any reservation made using a Promotion Code requires instant purchase and cannot be placed on hold.  
 
1. What is the discount amount? 
 
Discount:: $100 
 
 
 
2. When can you fly? 
 
You can fly between the following dates: 
 
Travel Start Date: 4/1/2007 
 
Travel End Date: 11/16/2007 
 
 
 
3. When can you book travel? 
 
You can book your travel between the following dates: 
 
Booking Start Date: 2/21/2007 
 
Booking End Date: 11/2/2007 
 
 
 
4. Where can you fly? 
 
From: US48 To: US48 
From: US48 To: ALASKA 
From: ALASKA To: US48 
From: ALASKA To: US48 
From: HAWAII To: US48 
From: HAWAII To: ALASKA 
 
 
5. Is login required to use your Promotion Code? 
 
No 
 
 
 
6. Is the Promotion Code reusable after the reservation is purchased? 
 
No 
 
 
 
7. What other rules apply? 
 
Minimum Stay: N/A Maximum Stay: N/A 
 
Saturday Night Stay Required: No Advanced Purchase: 14 days 
 
Minimum # of Passengers: 2 Maximum # of Passengers: 2 
 
Fare Class: All Minimum Base Fare: 200 USD
So it looks like you cant use this on int'l can split the discount and use for $100 off for only one ticket (and dump the other half of the discount), and it's got to be booked by 11/2 for travel to commence (or is it complete) by 11/16
ihdihd is offline  
Old Oct 4, 07, 9:38 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas
Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 444
Originally Posted by ihdihd View Post
split the discount and use for $100 off for only one ticket (and dump the other half of the discount),
I don't know why you keep trying to play it like this. It's not like you can get a $1 off two cans of soup and use it for $.50 off one. They goal is to sell two seats, gaining the revenue for both. You're not losing the extra $100 value of the coupon; AA would lose the extra $100+ incremental revenue.
SuperSnoop is offline  
Old Oct 5, 07, 8:18 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: AAdvantage PLT, HHonors Silver, Pre✓®
Posts: 146
Certificate worked great for me. DFW-BWI for $110/pax total RT. Only could do coach I believe, and there wasn't any embargo dates for a random trip. Perhaps I can upgrade...We'll see!

The nice thing was there were far less restrictions on this certificate than the one I got with my AA MasterCard card. That one has more dates that I cannot fly and less fares you can book in. Plus you have to call meeting services. TrAAvel Perks is online disc code and pretty straight forward.
joshuaw2 is offline  
Old Oct 8, 07, 11:47 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP; SPG PLT
Posts: 623
So I'm trying now to book it and ran into another snaggle that I would appreciate some help with.

Found a fare that $368 from NYC-LAX for me and my wife. The coupon applies and all that, but I wanted to use cancelled ticket values to apply against the remainder. No luck with AA reservations, but I didn't push it, anyone have better luck applying any GC or vouchers to their perks ticket?
ihdihd is offline  
Old Oct 8, 07, 12:28 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LAX, BUR
Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, UA, DL, NW, Starwood and Marriott peon
Posts: 1,556
The t&c's for TraavelPerks says it must be done online. AA does not allow use of canceled ticket fund online. So, looks like you are in an either/or situation.
kef0913 is offline  
Old Oct 8, 07, 3:42 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: AAdvantage PLT, HHonors Silver, Pre✓®
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by ihdihd View Post
Well my first coupon expires nov 15th
Can you not change the date? On my TrAAvelPerks coupon page, I could select to get my first coupon to be used either before Nov 15, or after Jan (whatever day). Then, I would later get a second coupon around the Feb time period when my second 6 months starts. Even if you select the wrong date range (say for use before Nov 15th) and they issue you a code, it says to call them and they can give you another code valid for travel Jan (whatever). You know, in case your travel dates change and you haven't booked yet.

I just used mine for a trip in 3 weeks. No issues doing it.
joshuaw2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: