Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum and Length of Status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, AA EXP, National Executive Elite
Platinum and Length of Status

did a search...found a lot of answers, and have been able to piece together the following understanding...

I made Platinum last week on my flight home from DFW. Got my "Congrats you're Platinum" email yesterday. When I click the link and view the .pdf of Platinum benefits, it states under Membership Year: "The current AAdvantage Membership Year is March 1, 2007, or the date of your AAdvantage Platinum membership qualification through February 29, 2008"

I thought (and understand through what I pieced together in my search) that since I hit the Platinum tier in the back half of the year that it's good through February '09.

Which is correct? February '08 or '09?

Thanks in advance....
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
02/2009

Feb 09

Programs: AA PlatPro - 1mm, Bonvoy Titanium
Feb 2009
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.... That that was the right answer, yet was confused by the membership guide.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mdsimants
...I thought (and understand through what I pieced together in my search) that since I hit the Platinum tier in the back half of the year that it's good through February '09...
Back half or front half of the year has nothing to do with it, unless you got Platinum via a Challenge (which nothing in the post suggests). Your status is good for the rest of the status year that begins in the current calendar year* (which, as the site correctly states, runs through Feb. 2008) and the entire following status year (i.e., through Feb. 2009).

*Normally this can be stated more simply as "the rest of the current status year and all of the next," but if someone flies enough during January and February to earn a higher status level than s/he already has, that's not exactly correct. In that case you get two full status years, plus as many days as are left until the end of February from when you qualify. You could maintain any level by flying all the miles in those two months every other year - but, if you didn't fly otherwise, why would you want to?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:19 pm

i had the same confusion and asked AA. they told me that it was because the platinum membership guide was for people with platinum status IN 2007. meaning that the membership year for 2007 goes through february 2008. since you (and I) hit platinum in 2007, our first FULL year is 2008 which goes through 2/09. at least thats how it was explained to me. im looking forward to getting my new platinum card too!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ethang801
i had the same confusion and asked AA. they told me that it was because the platinum membership guide was for people with platinum status IN 2007. meaning that the membership year for 2007 goes through february 2008. since you (and I) hit platinum in 2007, our first FULL year is 2008 which goes through 2/09. at least thats how it was explained to me. im looking forward to getting my new platinum card too!
And the ability to move up on the UPG list and lounge access on International flights (can't tell you how good it feels to take a shower after sitting in Y in a QF 13 hour flight from Sydney). I requalify for PLT again with my next flight. Would love the benefits of EXP but traveling 100K plus in a year is a little to much for me. Even if you are sitting in F and moreover even if you have a lounge membership, an extremely late flight is an extremely late flight-which of course is happening more and more out of the NYC area.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
And the ability to move up on the UPG list ...snip....
Indeed!!!! Although, so far this year as a Gold I'm running 72% for upgrades on upgradeable flights (21/60 -- the other 39 flights were regional jets).
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:57 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by mdsimants
Indeed!!!! Although, so far this year as a Gold I'm running 72% for upgrades on upgradeable flights (21/60 -- the other 39 flights were regional jets).
Congrats on making PLT!

They should add a category PLT-BUTT. Anyone with over 40 segments on Eagles gets this special tier! 60 on mainline flights aint bad... but 39 on Eagle .. ouch!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JGR01
Congrats on making PLT!

They should add a category PLT-BUTT. Anyone with over 40 segments on Eagles gets this special tier! 60 on mainline flights aint bad... but 39 on Eagle .. ouch!
Instead of upgrades you get an extra seat cushion, and the WHOLE can of soda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.