FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   All initial prices now include taxes and fees? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/739271-all-initial-prices-now-include-taxes-fees.html)

spanishflea Sep 24, 2007 3:29 am

All initial prices now include taxes and fees?

Just been playing around with aa.com for a trip this weekend and I ended up getting quite confused with all the prices being shown to me.

After 5 minutes of thinking it was just its usual messy self I finally twigged that the first price being shown when you search by "Price" now includes all taxes and charges.

When searching by "Price & Schedule" you get the same, except broken down into two one way fares on each page.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this at the weekend, so apologies if it has already been mentioned. Although not that exciting for domestic tickets, it saves a lot of hassle for us purely international travellers who have long been quoted initial fares with virtually no relevance to the final price paid. ^

vasantn Sep 24, 2007 3:40 am

Not for me, it doesn't. This used to be the case about a year or more ago.

spanishflea Sep 24, 2007 4:28 am

I just did a quick check and it shows the complete price at the first stage for me whether I select myself as a UK or US resident, so its not that.

Can other people see it, or is it just me? :p

superscot Sep 24, 2007 5:19 am

Yes - I am getting fares displayed with all taxes and, like you, I get them whether I tick UK or US citizen.

However, even when I am not signed in, the system recognises who I am and that I am a UK based member. If I hit the 'change user' link (right above my name on the home page) and, without logging on as anybody else, just continuing as a guest, subsequent searches show fares excluding taxes.

So, I guess, this is an enhancement (and a very welcome one) for UK based members.

dcameron Sep 24, 2007 8:52 am

I am in the AC in Miami and just bought an international ticket through AA.com and for me it did not show the taxes until the end. It would be really nice if it were shown earlier.

spanishflea Sep 24, 2007 9:37 am

Originally Posted by superscot (Post 8452424)
Yes - I am getting fares displayed with all taxes and, like you, I get them whether I tick UK or US citizen.

However, even when I am not signed in, the system recognises who I am and that I am a UK based member. If I hit the 'change user' link (right above my name on the home page) and, without logging on as anybody else, just continuing as a guest, subsequent searches show fares excluding taxes.

Ahhh I see now.

However if you log out and become a "general member" and select the fact that you are a UK resident it still prices out initially with the full price.

It is only when you select yourself as a US resident that the inital price does not include taxes and fees.

I seem to recall spotwelder mention a few weeks ago that AA were one of the last airlines not offerring all inclusive pricing to UK customers and they were being chased down by the OFT. Nice to see a UK regulator actualy influencing a non UK company. ^

oldAGE Sep 24, 2007 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by spanishflea (Post 8452199)
Just been playing around with aa.com for a trip this weekend and I ended up getting quite confused with all the prices being shown to me.

After 5 minutes of thinking it was just its usual messy self I finally twigged that the first price being shown when you search by "Price" now includes all taxes and charges.

When searching by "Price & Schedule" you get the same, except broken down into two one way fares on each page.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this at the weekend, so apologies if it has already been mentioned. Although not that exciting for domestic tickets, it saves a lot of hassle for us purely international travellers who have long been quoted initial fares with virtually no relevance to the final price paid. ^

My query to AA last year was met with a response that I did not like. While AA used to provide the AI (ALL In = All included (inclusive, etc.)), their changes early last year removed all taxes and fees from both their bundled segments or their a la carte menus. I booked four AA.com trips over the past three days and nothing has changed. I used almost every permutation of their website for the AA25X promo to find the best flights, routing, and days.

AA reported that "Customer Demand" made them alter their pricing. Even though "Customer Pressure" changed Orbitz, Expedia, and Travelocity to begin posting the complete fare at the initial search (some in smaller print but readily visible right at the onset), American refused to fall back to their original structure.

My bet is that they think once you have navigated through five screens thinking that you are getting a great deal that you will just pull the trigger at the end because you couldn't bare to go to yet another site for your booking. But, alas, all fees are tacked on when you hit that magic "CONTINUE" button on the last screen before the "HOLD" or "PURCHASE" steps.

Must be another way to entice our friends overseas to come to the states... ;0