Lack of booking code/detailed fare rules on Expedia

Old Sep 20, 2007, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Lack of booking code/detailed fare rules on Expedia

My apologies in advance, because this is not directly related to AA; also, I tried a search and could not find any threads, but I have a feeling it's been discussed before.

I just realized that one cannot get the detailed fare rules/booking code prior to purchasing a ticket on Expedia, whereas one can easily do so on AA.com or Orbitz. This is obviously important with respect to mileage earning and upgrading.

Is there any way to work around this problem on Expedia, or am I missing something?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:06 pm

Aside from being completely off-topic, the thesis stated in this post (i.e. one cannot get said info on Expedia) is also wrong. The "flight details" page -- the page that lists the itinerary and price, before you enter payment details -- has a statement that says:

Read an overview of all the rules and restrictions applicable to this fare.
The link embedded within the words "rules and restrictions" will take you to the fare rules.

Mike
Old Sep 20, 2007, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, for the particular itinerary I'm looking at (SFO-GIG-SFO on 2/14 and 2/19/08) the information provided upon clicking rules and restrictions says: "We have not received rules or restriction information for this flight." No booking code is given.
Again, sorry that it's off topic, but it does pertain to an AA itinerary I'm trying to book.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Has anyone come up with an answer to this question in the last 3 years? Any way to see what the specific booking class is on Expedia, before purchasing?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigE
Has anyone come up with an answer to this question in the last 3 years? Any way to see what the specific booking class is on Expedia, before purchasing?
If post #2 doesn't work, then I don't know of any other way. My question for you is why do you insist on buying on Expedia rather than on AA.com? Dealing with a third party can present complications if you need to make changes during your itinerary.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I'm with Gemac. If the ticket is all-AA, why not go directly to the AA website?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Expedia has coupons for $200 off flight + hotel, and sometimes the hotel+flight is cheaper than the flight alone. I've seen a savings of $400+ just by adding the hotel (OK, it's unusual, but I have one right now I'm looking at), which you can then throw away if you like.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I flew last fall AA to Montreal and stayed at the W for $1250 by buying on travelocity. Buying the exact same flights alone on AA.com would have cost me almost $1,000. Got a great hotel and the flights I wanted (which I upgraded) for a heckuva a deal. I did the same thing this spring for another trip. Sometimes buying flights on AA doesn't make good financial sense if you need a hotel anyway. I haven't found AAvacations to be competitive with expedia, travelocity, orbitz or hotels.com.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The solution is don't use Expedia...

I've encountered the same problem on international itineraries on Expedia - no access to the fare rules. (Recent example, JFK-IST-KUL on TK/MH). And if you call them, they're clueless. And they also say they want to charge me a $30 or whatever fee for canceling a refundable ticket.

I stick with Orbitz for reservations that I can't purchase directly through the travel provider.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Cheaper fare?? I've seen them.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Because with some credit cards, you get extra points if booking with Expedia, such as with the Citi PremierPass cards.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigE
Originally Posted by mvoight
Cheaper fare?? I've seen them.
If cheaper fares on AA are the goal than since this thread was began on September 23, 2007 the mileage earning rules have changed. If you are purchasing tickets for multiple airlines than this thread is in the wrong forum. The only time one should be concerned is if purchasing NA to SA.

from the wiki
Effective for travel as of October 15, 2008, the only fare that does not earn mileage credit are O class fares between North America and Latin America (including Central and South America). Previously excluded Q fares and O fares on other routes now earn full mileage credit.
If one is concerned about an upgrade on aa than there should be no concern.
Effective October 6, 2009, all published fares are eligible for Mileage and Systemwide Upgrade Awards (including previously excluded I, O, and Q overseas fares).
So for those who purchase AA tickets at Expedia from NA to SA and post #2 doesn't work you have to make a decision - cheaper fare or 100% guarantee on earning miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.