Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA says no to cash onboard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I flew WN on SLC-STL in early December and the pax next to me did not know they were only accepting CCs and wanted to pay by cash. I understand many of us FTers have CCs (and many of them) but how many grown adults in this country do not have some sort of credit/debit/check card that they could use to pay? Anyway, the FA went ahead and comped his Bloody Mary. It will be interesting to see when flying Y how many people don't know about the change or have a CC they are willing to charge on the plane.

I remember reading in the new when US started charging for water and other non-alcoholic beverages, that the FAs would be allowed to comp for customers who did not have cash. I don't think US accepts CC though.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I flew WN on SLC-STL in early December and the pax next to me did not know they were only accepting CCs and wanted to pay by cash. I understand many of us FTers have CCs (and many of them) but how many grown adults in this country do not have some sort of credit/debit/check card that they could use to pay? Anyway, the FA went ahead and comped his Bloody Mary. It will be interesting to see when flying Y how many people don't know about the change or have a CC they are willing to charge on the plane.

I remember reading in the new when US started charging for water and other non-alcoholic beverages, that the FAs would be allowed to comp for customers who did not have cash. I don't think US accepts CC though.
If anyone wants to pay cash (and has exact change), I'd be glad to take your cash and charge your purchase to my SPG AMEX. I'm sure there are several people on each flight like me
Old Feb 10, 2009, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
AA is still better than UA where it varies on the route whether they take cash or CC.

For example I remembe that on LAX-JFK (P.S.) they only accept CC and on all other flights it's plain cash.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, Hillton Gold, Marriot Silver, United 2P
Originally Posted by jayer
If people had the basic consideration for the FA to either have correct change or not order (or the basic sense to know they are on an airliner not in a bank) this would not be coming up. Why do I think the big problem isn't taking cash, but the whole change for a $20 x 10 or 15 rodeo?
The problem is that the FA always kept the cash.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:25 pm

Programs: Grounded
While I like the idea of credit card machines, in my brief experience with it they seemed to be troublesome devices. Big honking Windows Mobile device that crashed hard when trying to print my receipt, and then took 2 FAs 10 minutes to figure out how to reprint because of a terrible interface.

I'm sure it's worth it to the airline anyway (esp if the ^^^ post is true), but these things aren't without their own faults.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I hope AA considers accepting CCs on American Eagle/Connection as well for BOB. I think for customers connecting from an AE to an AA flight (or vice versa) it will be confusing to have one segment only accept cash while another only accepts CCs. But again, 90% of the pax on AE don't know/think its any different (just a really small MD-80 perhaps).

Does anyone else see this being a problem?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I pay with my CC for most things anyways. Most everyone has at least a debit card with the V/MC capabilities. Unfortunately there are shifty employees everywhere that like to skim off the top, this would prevent that hopefully.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:13 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
More than a year ago, I didn't have my boarding pass for the return flights from the start, and the TA didn't check me all the way through because I didn't tell them to (MR with immediate turnaround on same equipment!). Due to de-icing in DFW, the flight was an hour late into OAK, and as far as that gate was concerned, I was a no-show and they gave me exit row aisle seat away! I did manage to get on the very full flight, several rows farther back and in the middle!

where the guy next to me had only a limited amount of cash, my helpful statement that the FAs can use a credit card was a BIG MISTAKE, as then that added quite a few more drinks for him. And he was a talker with alcohol in his system.

I would prefer more limitation.

Steve
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by steve32
More than a year ago, I didn't have my boarding pass for the return flights from the start, and the TA didn't check me all the way through because I didn't tell them to (MR with immediate turnaround on same equipment!). Due to de-icing in DFW, the flight was an hour late into OAK, and as far as that gate was concerned, I was a no-show and they gave me exit row aisle seat away! I did manage to get on the very full flight, several rows farther back and in the middle!

where the guy next to me had only a limited amount of cash, my helpful statement that the FAs can use a credit card was a BIG MISTAKE, as then that added quite a few more drinks for him. And he was a talker with alcohol in his system.

I would prefer more limitation.

Steve
you know the old adage: no good deed goes unpunished

sorry about the SNAFU putting you in a really lousy seat. hope you had noise canceling headphones with you.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
One of the added possibilities here will be very good for elites--remember your shiny cards are also swipable. (And I refer to a post by a knowledgeable poster made on another site that something similar is being considered.)^
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
you can swipe my brand new shiny black EXP card when you pry it from my cold dead fingers
Old Feb 13, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Gonna be interesting on LATAM routes

I just flew MIA-LIM, and it occurred to me that going cashless, along with going BOB, could be a real problem on these routes. I imaging that there are a lot of PAX on these routes that don't have a credit or debit card.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
I just flew MIA-LIM, and it occurred to me that going cashless, along with going BOB, could be a real problem on these routes. I imaging that there are a lot of PAX on these routes that don't have a credit or debit card.
Those situations present nearby card-enabled passengers to do something nice, or to seize a profit from one's misery, depending on one's values.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by steve32

Hopefully he wasn't travelling with his dog Farfels and encountered a medical emergency
Old Feb 13, 2009, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
That's probably one reason why these routes aren't going cashless. According to AA.com, this applies to "U.S. Domestic And Canada Flights".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.