FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Will voluntary bump improve booking class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/730232-will-voluntary-bump-improve-booking-class.html)

ORDinary Gold Aug 28, 2007 3:39 pm

Will voluntary bump improve booking class

I just volunteered my S class ticket.
If they accept, will my new ticket (later with a connection) be in Y class?
Part of the reason I volunteered is that I'm in mid-challenge and could use the extra EQM's.
Please respond quickly - they'll board soon.

tombyron Aug 28, 2007 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by ORDinary Gold (Post 8310025)
Part of the reason I volunteered is that I'm in mid-challenge and could use the extra EQM's.
Please respond quickly - they'll board soon.

My most recent bump did yield a Y class ticket, but I don't think its guaranteed.

Orion Aug 28, 2007 3:44 pm

high(er) class

That has happened to me a few times. They book what they can. I have heard that in the heat of battle they will get you rebooked as quickly as possible and on your way, paying scant attention to such niceties as your original booking code.

ORDinary Gold Aug 28, 2007 3:50 pm

Thanks. I just called AAdvantage cust service. They said the new tix will be in S class. I'm now debating whether to believe them...

bdemaria Aug 28, 2007 3:56 pm

The ticket will remain in your booked class, although the boarding pass will state "Y" - and has been reported in the past, there are times when the Y points/miles are awarded to your account instead of your original fare amount.

JGR01 Aug 28, 2007 4:05 pm

Next wireless post (from the plane this time not the gate area) will be that they did not need to VDB this pax and all this thread is for naught!

Next time negotiate the VDB AND an upgrade to First and probably (depending on whom you believe) you will get F EQPs instead of just coach.

To me, VDB is a negotiation. Here is my ticket, and yes I will take a voucher (as much as I can get) AND you will put me in First on the next flight (and if needed prompt for the better hotel for the voucher - I whine at ORD if I do not get the ORD Hilton on my VDB).

nako Aug 28, 2007 4:21 pm

You are entitled to receive the points based on the fare class you purchased. Any more than that is a bonus that is, frankly, completely unpredictable at this point.

In other words, I wouldn't take the bump if receiving only what you were supposed to receive isn't good enough for you.

Mike

CloudCoder Aug 28, 2007 4:22 pm

Almost always, the answer is yes. S class often requires purchase in advance (i.e. 7 days in advance, etc.) Therefore those deeply discounted classes are not available on day of travel. They book you into whatever's available. In almost all cases, if you have a deep-discount ticket purchased well in advance, the cheapest ticket on day of travel is in a much higher fare class.

DEVIS Aug 28, 2007 4:39 pm

I volunteered my seat on a DTW-DFW and opted to take the money and a later flight. turned out the GA got confused as the later flight had 0 availability... so he rebooked me and my friend on our original flight but this time in F. He was in a crazy rush, but he apparently did put in the right fare code... I got no extra miles for the rebooking.
Other times, mostly in DFW, when I've asked to be put on an earlier flight to either OAK or SFO depending on convenience, they always put the original booking code.

However, once I volunteered my seat on US, the rebooked me on Y on AA.

jrhone Aug 28, 2007 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy (Post 8310267)
Almost always, the answer is yes. S class often requires purchase in advance (i.e. 7 days in advance, etc.) Therefore those deeply discounted classes are not available on day of travel. They book you into whatever's available. In almost all cases, if you have a deep-discount ticket purchased well in advance, the cheapest ticket on day of travel is in a much higher fare class.

Strictly speaking we are supposed to rebook in the same fare class, however if it isnt open to book then you go up to the next one.

In the real word when you have a cancelled flight and 130 irate people standing in front of you, you just get booked in Y because we really dont have enough time to flap around with the different inventories . If Y is open thats what you get booked in .

PapiTheWriter Aug 29, 2007 5:35 am

About 50% of the time my vol bump resulted in a Y fare basis as well as the extra EQMs. If it happens - it is nice; if not, oh well. I would call cust. service regarding it - you may get someone over zealous who will put you back into your original fare class.

You are correct that it is a negotiation; however, they may get other volunteers who simply say OK to what they offer and you will not get the bump - be careful how you ask for the extras (F Class).

Peace!

Peatisback Aug 29, 2007 5:48 am

I've been re-booked into Y, which gave me a free upgrade, and then was credited for Y EQM/EQPs. Unfortunately they did go back in and re-adjust the EQM/EQPs to my original booking class about a week later.

dh01 Aug 29, 2007 6:03 am

My experience has been unless the "new" flight has the previous fare class available, I get a Y class credit, so the EQM bonus as well.

jimorr67 Aug 29, 2007 7:49 am

95 times out of a 100 you will get the credit for the 1.5 points for all the reasons above. I can only think of 1 time in the last 3 years that I didn't get the 1.5 points and I probably take my original return flight less than 1/2 the time.

Of course now that you have called and asked, "they" probably have a permanent review placed on your account! Always better to follow the "don't ask and be thankful if you get it" method.

notmypetunia Aug 29, 2007 5:29 pm

In my experience when bumped, whether it be voluntary or not, I received the miles according to my original booking code. In particular, I purchased an advance fare, got bumped, was re-booked in a higher class code, but ended up with only the miles I was originally entitled to.

Hey, at least I wasn't stranded and did get home within a reasonable time frame!