Will voluntary bump improve booking class

Old Aug 29, 2007, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
Originally Posted by JGR01
Next wireless post (from the plane this time not the gate area) will be that they did not need to VDB this pax and all this thread is for naught!

Next time negotiate the VDB AND an upgrade to First and probably (depending on whom you believe) you will get F EQPs instead of just coach.

To me, VDB is a negotiation. Here is my ticket, and yes I will take a voucher (as much as I can get) AND you will put me in First on the next flight (and if needed prompt for the better hotel for the voucher - I whine at ORD if I do not get the ORD Hilton on my VDB).
Of course, you're right...they did not need to VDB.

I did try to negotiate. Nothing doing on the upgrade. I tried to simply get her to say she'd rebook me in Y, but that resulted in a blank stare. Might have had more success if she was more desperate.

FWIW, I was victim of a canceled flight from MSP to ORD recently. They rebooked me for the next day, and it was booked in Y. I got some extra EQMs, and would have been able to upgrade w/o sticker, but that didn't clear.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
My last invol reroute was booked into full Y DTW-LGA ; JFK-LAX...

No success on scoring upgrade since the list was too long at the end and many EXP on it
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
My last DCA-JFK-LHR was changed to DCA-ORD-LHR. I had used a VIP so I was rebooked into A (I think) on the DCA-ORD seg and for some reason fully J on ORD-LHR. It didn't cross my mind to try and upgrade to F. I did get full miles but they eventually went back and adjusted them to my original Y booking class.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDinary Gold
Thanks. I just called AAdvantage cust service. They said the new tix will be in S class. I'm now debating whether to believe them...
You called AAdvantage for this, and asked here, while wating to board?

This has been discussed here multiple times. You might get lucky, but it isn't really worrying about this much.

Just read the update: All of this trouble and they didn't need the seat?

What was the origin and destination?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
Originally Posted by mvoight
You called AAdvantage for this, and asked here, while wating to board?

This has been discussed here multiple times. You might get lucky, but it isn't really worrying about this much.

Just read the update: All of this trouble and they didn't need the seat?

What was the origin and destination?
It was PHX - ORD. They were offering $300 voucher for change planes in DFW. I would have gotten home 3 hours later. I was very tired, and the deal wouldn't have been worth it for me for $300 voucher only. But I'm in mid-challenge, and the extra 1400 or so EQMs would have made it worthwhile by possibly saving me a mileage run later.

I immediately posted the question here. I don't doubt that it's been covered here before, but I don't recall ever seeing that discussion, and search has been very slow IME and I had a very small window to possibly un-volunteer. Only after I posted it here did it even occur to me to call AA as I figure I'm more likely to get an accurate response quicker here.

FWIW, the potential vdb was due to a weight restriction issue based, the GA said, on "the heat." I got on as soon as she told me they didn't need me, so I don't know if they bumped anyone at all or if they accommodated the 1 or 2 standbys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.