Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Puerto Rico is NOT International, or is it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
Red face Puerto Rico is NOT International, or is it?

I don't understand why everyone thinks that San Juan, PR (SJU) is an International travel destination? Its practically our 51st state for pete's sake.

Got an e-mail with the latest AA Net SAAver sale fares that lumps PR into that category.

That reminds me of my Puerto Rican co-worker that always says San Juan, PR is in Mexico... or that people arriving on Honolulu, Hawaii flights go through customs.

what gives?

--Russ
Old Aug 28, 2007, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
AA is of at least four minds when it comes to the word "international." There's the definition in the e-mail, which you mentioned; there's the definition when it comes to sticker upgrades, there's the definition for being on an "international" itinerary for lounge access (kinda odd; Mexico City is "international" for that purpose, but the rest of that country isn't) and there's the "real" definition, which affects pre-boarding passport checks and such.

However, by now we should know not to expect consistency in the airline biz. Why should AA be different?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Efrem
However, by now we should know not to expect consistency in the airline biz. Why should AA be different?
Yeah. But AA/OneWorld really is the worst at having multiple definitions.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Yeah. But AA/OneWorld really is the worst at having multiple definitions.
So True... So True....

Peace!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
For some reasons many crews flying to/from SJU are international crews. I believe it has something to do with the dreaded A300, which only flies to JFK-MIA-LIM-Haiti-SDQ, etc. Almost all of these crews seem International, usually based at JFK or MIA. They even have slightly different uniforms than the domestic crews flying across the USA. Perhaps one of our resident FAs can shed some light on this.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum, Avis
International

AA is of at least four minds when it comes to the word "international." There's the definition in the e-mail, which you mentioned; there's the definition when it comes to sticker upgrades, there's the definition for being on an "international" itinerary for lounge access (kinda odd; Mexico City is "international" for that purpose, but the rest of that country isn't) and there's the "real" definition, which affects pre-boarding passport checks and such.
IME, there's the 5th definition of "international" which has to do with routes that go over water for a certain distance of time. That affects which credentialed crews can/cannot work that route. So, Puerto Vallarta is considered domestic, whereas Cancun isn't.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
...and don't forget the 6th meaning of "international," used for marketing purposes. The front cabin to SJU is called "Business" (like Canada and Mexico), event though SJU is part of the USA.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, AA EXP, National Executive Elite
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for definition 7.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, there are nine Freedoms of the Air, so American is running a tad behind.

OTOH: Si les preguntas a varios Boricuas, también recibirías varias respuestas.
(If you ask several Puerto Ricans, you will also receive various answers.)

Originally Posted by mdsimants

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 2007 at 5:18 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP-2MM, AC
Originally Posted by mdsimants
Well, Canada is International when you call reservations, and for passport checks, but not for sticker upgrades or for eVIPs when crossing 1 million miles (the latter is the seventh I think).
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:32 pm

So what are the definitions? I'm thinking about stopping by PR, and would like to know if this fits the international lounge access requirement for statuses.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nova474
So what are the definitions? I'm thinking about stopping by PR, and would like to know if this fits the international lounge access requirement for statuses.

Um...let's see if I can name all of the ways that AA classifies "domestic" and "international" differently:

1) Lounge access for OW elites: "Domestic" means USA, Canada, Mexico (except MEX), Bermuda, Bahamas, and Caribbean; "International" means Europe, Asia, Central/South America, and Mexico City (MEX).

2) Marketing: "Domestic," 2-class service sold as F and Y, includes the USA 50; "International," 2-class service sold as J and Y, includes everywhere outside the USA 50, including Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico.

3) Electronic Upgrades: "Domestic" means USA 50, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean and Central America--all where e-upgrades are valid. "International" means Europe, Asia, and South America--where e-upgrades are NOT valid.

4) Crews: "Domestic" means flights that do not operate more than 50 miles off the coast, including the 48 States, Alaska, Canada, and MEX. "International" means overwater flights, including Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the rest of Mexico routes, and Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean, Central/South America, Europe, and Asia. "International" flights always get a Purser (as do AFS flights and all flights operated with widebody aircraft).

5) Government: "Domestic" means the USA 50, Puerto Rico, and USVI: no documents required; "International" means anywhere outside of the same: passport swipe required to get BP, passport maybe checked at the gate prior to boarding, positive bag matching.

6) Call centers: "Domestic" means USA 50, Puerto Rico, USVI; "International" means anywhere outside the USA, including Canada and Mexico.

7) eVIP MM benefits: "Domestic" means USA 50, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean, and Central America; "International" means Europe, Asia, and South America.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
I don't understand why everyone thinks that San Juan, PR (SJU) is an International travel destination? Its practically our 51st state for pete's sake.

Got an e-mail with the latest AA Net SAAver sale fares that lumps PR into that category.

That reminds me of my Puerto Rican co-worker that always says San Juan, PR is in Mexico... or that people arriving on Honolulu, Hawaii flights go through customs.

what gives?

--Russ
Maybe you should tell the IOOC that PR is practically our 51st state. PR has an Olympic team

PR iemployment ncome is not subject to US income tax
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc901.html
Old Aug 29, 2007, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JerseyVics

what gives?

--Russ
What do you mean "people arriving on Honolulu"?
People on flgihts from HNL to the continental US don't go through Customs.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
It looks like #3 and #7 have the same lines of definition, so there are only six.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.