Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Quickest to EXP in 2008" contest! (and Rules review)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Yeah, some expert will hopefully correct me, but I think BA is four flights of 2500+ miles each in a premium cabin if you live somewhere else in Europe other than the UK and not the US.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
I followed this thread closely earlier in 2007 -

wannaflyforless' 100k BIS miles in 19 days: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648923
Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:03 pm

Location: Westford MA - AA PLT, 1.5MM, Lifetime AC, AAdvantage since 1981
United held a similar contest about 20 years ago. At that time, they had finally offered routes to all 50 states. The contest was to see who could fly United to all 50 states the fastest. As I recall, the prize was pretty good; maybe a million United miles or perhaps a free first class pass, I don't recall.

Does anyone else remember this United promotion? If United sponsored such a contest for their flyers, why can't American sponsor pixpixpix's contest?
Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by GoBears
United held a similar contest about 20 years ago. At that time, they had finally offered routes to all 50 states. The contest was to see who could fly United to all 50 states the fastest. As I recall, the prize was pretty good; maybe a million United miles or perhaps a free first class pass, I don't recall.

Does anyone else remember this United promotion?
Yes, I remember the promotion. I believe that there was also a lesser prize awarded to all travelers who visited all 50 states by a specified deadline.

I've visited 49 states. Sometime, I've got to get to Mt. Rushmore.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
Yes, we are on.

This could get interesting.

Clarification of premium cabin travel definition: majority will be premium cabin fares; a minority may be booked into upgradeable coach.
EXP upgradeable coach is fine, whether the actual upgrade clears or not. But no transatlantic or transpacific or deep South America flights that would require VIPs to get the upgrade. Canada and Carribbean are just fine. I assume we will not have to have more than 2-3 Regional Jet or ATR flights.

I have blocked the first 8 days of 2008 on my calendar. Let the fun begin!

Last edited by 925; Aug 28, 2007 at 11:26 am
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:34 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
I expect (as im sure do many others here) a very detailed thread on this outing. bravo.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:02 pm

<redacted commercial / discussion of cash considerations>

Come January, you will find out if WannaFlyForLess and 925 can get it together and perform. Maybe "yes". Maybe "no".

Now, back to the contest!

--- Can any of you itinerary crafters get aggressive?

--- Which of you hard-core flyers will beat out the contestant pack?

Can someone get this contest cranked up by jumping in to the fray, refining the rules, and going at it?

I propose that the contest starts NOW, one award for the shortest itinerary and another award for the cheapest itinerary. Close the contest by around 12/14, to let all the crazies actually book this thing, then award the first person who actually flies the cheapest and the fastest. Allow ties on the same flight. And maybe even have a DO celebration party waiting for the contestants.

Last edited by 925; Aug 28, 2007 at 11:26 am Reason: add last paragraph, quoting my earlier post
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:06 pm

looks like it's time to bookmark this thread!

this should be sweet
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by tom911
Wasn't there someone that qualified this year in January? Doesn't sound like much fun to me.
dumb...dumb...dumb...I did not read the rest of the thread and jumped too early....

deleted the post...

I want to see what happens here

Last edited by anaggie; Aug 27, 2007 at 5:28 pm
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
This is going to be AWESOME! I'm definitely going to follow it, and may even participate in the "cheapest EXP" itinerary if somebody posts it here after winning the contest!

Time to bookmark!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:50 pm

Perhaps I'm the only one, but I have serious concerns about a thread that has turned into little more than gambling.

Mike
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread is now unlocked, after further input and consideration from Senior Mod staff. Thanks for your understanding. As appended in the first post, FlyerTalk can not be a party to cash transactions (including gaming / commercial solicitations or offers.) Contests for achieving EXP first or fastest are well within the purviews and interests of FLyerTalk, but exchanges of cash or betting of cash is not, and is prohibited in all Fora, includling CC.

Originally Posted by Moderator insert in OP
Note inserted by Moderator: To be appropriate for FlyerTalk, this contest can not involve FlyerTalk or its appurtenances (PM, etc.) in the exchange of money. This is coherent with policy that prohibits offers or solicitations of miles, VIPs, etc. for money, or cash equivalents, and the TOS, which prohibit using FlyerTalk for commercial purposes.

The appropriate portions of TOS / Rules are:

Commercial Messages - link to this guideline
Posts containing promotional messages for commercial or charitable products or services - including but not limited to Internet sites, business advertisements and solicitations to donate miles or points - will be removed. Unfortunately, it is impossible to verify the validity of each charitable organization; therefore, to protect FlyerTalk users from fraud, we prohibit solicitations for charities. We reserve the right to post announcements for donations of miles or points to recognized charities directly associated with various frequent flyer/guest programs.

If you spot a commercial post, please report it.

Using FlyerTalk for Commercial Purposes - link to this guideline
FlyerTalk prohibits advertising, commercial sales and solicitations through posts, private messages or emails accessed through FlyerTalk. Anyone using FlyerTalk for commercial purposes will be subject to the disciplinary process.

Abuse of Private Messaging and FT E-mails - link to this guideline
Flyertalk's private messaging and e-mails obtained through FlyerTalk while "private", still fall under the rules established here. They should not be used for commercial purposes, to send spam, to solicit cash payments for travel awards and points, or to threaten or harass members, moderators or administrators. Members who use them to circumvent the rules of the community will be subject to disciplinary action. If you receive this type of communication, report it immediately. Do not publish it on the board.

Thanks for your understanding and support of FlyerTalk.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 28, 2007 at 10:54 am Reason: slay a typo
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks for re-opening the thread.

The more I think about it the more I am sure 8 days is fairly straight forward. I wont be doing it myself, though, since I already have booked an early 2008 requalification in comfort run (thanks UA ).
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:40 am

thanks for reopening!

I'm looking forward to seeing the proposed routing - might be a possibility of jumping on board. my business travel is about to shift to AA, so what a great way to "get to know the system" in 8 days.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:30 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

OK, you're all on.

I will officially commit to sponsoring this promotion. I will let you know over the next month or so what the name of the official sponsor will be and as well, name the various prizes that will go along with this promotion. The prizes will value at least $1,000. It may be a cash prize or cash and other options such as an AC club membership for a year or split into a few different options for the winner(s) depending on how you all decide what the final rules and number of winners are.

The single caveat. You must be a member in good standing on FlyerTalk to be eligible to win this prize or prizes. And following the rules of FT, no side bets amongst yourselves.

So, get your rules together in agreement. Keyword ... in agreement. And I look forward to seeing how much fun you will all have with this. And the operative word here is that this should be fun.

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Aug 29, 2007 at 9:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.