Search

EXP Domestic upgrades seem harder to come by

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:29 pm
Used to be 'martinnj99'
Original Poster

EXP Domestic upgrades seem harder to come by

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share some experiences in recent flights on upgrades in domestic flights as an EXP. I realize chances of upgrading depend on what routes you fly, so I will detail the ones I fly often (which are the ones that give EXP status value to me) and I'd like to hear other people's experiences.

NYC (all airports)-DFW (fly by-weekly): Jan-May were easy upgrades missing just one. Since May, however, I havent been able to clear upgrades in 90% of my flighs on the route. Compared to last year this is a huge blow. Is it because of the summer months?

DFW-MIA on 777: no chances of upgrading in the 3 flights I took recently. Never cleared.

It seems that upgrades have only been clearing on minor, secondary short-hops like DFW-ABQ, SFO-LAX and the like.

The situation with non-clearing upgrades is best illustrated by what happened this morning. I had a 6 am departure out of LGA to DFW. Upgrade of course hadnt cleared. Upon arrival I ask to be put on the list (at 4 am, shortly after counters opened). When I get into the AC 50 minutes before departure I ask where am I on the list? The AAngel answered "well there's 16 seats, theyre holding two for EXP upgrades and you are number 2 on the list so I'd say just show up five mins before boarding to the gate to get your new ticket."

I show up as instructed 15 minutes later to the gate, inquire and the gate agent tells me "unfortunately those seats we were holding are for EXPs so no F is full now." I restated what the AAngel had said and he looks at me funny, then looks at his computer and says "oh well I see you are EXP but you are number 3 in the list, the two before you already got upgraded."

Has that happened to anyone? What could be a possible reason for going from #2 to #3 in 15 minutes? Or did I get majorly screwed? Note that he did not say one of the two seats they were holding had been SOLD, he said both had been given to EXP upgrades.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum (2.6 Million Miles), Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, & Hertz Platinum
Never has happened to me, and I've been upgraded most of the time.

I've flown 96 segments this year alone, and I'd say 98% have been cleared with in the 100 hour window.

When I'm traveling with clients, I have been able to upgrade them also, using my status.

How far in advance are you booking your tickets. Some on here say that can make a difference in your upgrades clearing.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:37 pm
nsr

The 2 other EXP just checked in online before you. The upgrade priority in the gate, within the same status is according to online check in time. Probably one of this two EXP showed up at the airport between 50min to 30min before the flight, and his request bumped you in to #3. That's why you were #2 before he arrived and #3 afterwards. Next time make sure you check in exactly at the 24hrs mark. (Your arrival time at the airport has nothing to do with your position on the list)

Last edited by nsr; Jul 24, 2007 at 10:44 pm
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I have flown February through early July with a three-week break in March. I have been upgraded on all but one (non-RJ) flight. Flights are LAX/DFW, LAX/ORD, LAX/JFK and LAX/BOS.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:40 pm
Used to be 'martinnj99'
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip about online check-in, that is definitely news to me!

Ive been booking 2-3 weeks in advance.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by martinnj99
The situation with non-clearing upgrades is best illustrated by what happened this morning. I had a 6 am departure out of LGA to DFW. Upgrade of course hadnt cleared. Upon arrival I ask to be put on the list (at 4 am, shortly after counters opened). When I get into the AC 50 minutes before departure I ask where am I on the list? The AAngel answered "well there's 16 seats, theyre holding two for EXP upgrades and you are number 2 on the list so I'd say just show up five mins before boarding to the gate to get your new ticket."
Any EXP who checked in before you did and came to the airport after you and asked to be added to the list will go above you in the upgrade order. This happens frequently.

Even if that wasn't the case, your biggest mistake was to listen to the AC agent. You want a gate upgrade, be at the gate not in the AC. Many gate agents don't care about holding upgrades when people aren't there when they call. Should they, perhaps but reality doesn't always reflect that. Strange things happen at the gate starting from "F has checked in full".
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I'm batting about 75% on upgrades this year. So many times, including last week, I'll check in 24 hours in advance, get to the airport and activate myself on the airport list, be #1 on that list, and fail to clear at the gate. I book 2 weeks or so in advance, but I am flying non-refundable mid-grade, but still the cheapest at the time I book fares.

One thing I do like now is - and I noticed this for the first time last week - is that they are starting to display a message on the Gate Information Displays that First has BOARDED full. Or at least that's the way I interpreted it, and the F standby list no longer shows.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:09 pm

Location: Los Angeles, xTWA Elite 1 and AA PLT, now AA EXP 3MM, Hilton Diamond
I fly primarily LAX-JFK and LAX-IAD and my success rate this year is around 60%. Mid-day mid-week departures are close to 100% while Monday AM and Thursday PM are around 30% and that is with checking in 24 hours in advance. YMMV.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:45 am

Programs: AA EXP - US CP
Originally Posted by martinnj99
Has that happened to anyone? What could be a possible reason for going from #2 to #3 in 15 minutes? Or did I get majorly screwed? Note that he did not say one of the two seats they were holding had been SOLD, he said both had been given to EXP upgrades.
LGA gate agents are the worst in my experience and I am a born and bred NYer. I once asked to be put on the active FC list at the gate twice, only to be refused, waited till the old nasty GA walked away, asked the other GA to put my name on and I jumped to first on the list and got the upgrade. Now I always get there a few minutes early to make sure I can either out myelf on or have an agent do it at the FC check in or AC.

ORD isn't much better than LGA. A few weeks ago I was #1 on the list, was told FC was full and to board, boarded and 2 minutes later the gate agent announced over the PA that someone else should come up front to claim what should have been my FC seat. No way someone would have bumped me at that point but what was I going to do - demand that I take this guys seat?

All of this is just another reminder that flying isn't what it use to be and AA certainly isn't helping make it better...
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:33 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by EyeFlyDoc
A few weeks ago I was #1 on the list, was told FC was full and to board, boarded and 2 minutes later the gate agent announced over the PA that someone else should come up front to claim what should have been my FC seat. No way someone would have bumped me at that point but what was I going to do - demand that I take this guys seat?
I've been in this exact same situation. It's not always true that someone else got "your" seat. Someone else could have been more entitled to the seat than an EXP who checked in at the 24-hour mark.

For example, someone could be on a FC Mileage Award or a FC Mileage Upgrade or a FC paid ticket, but they missed their flight or whatever, got re-routed, and voluntarily downgraded to coach. In this case, they actually paid for FC but they're riding in coach. If a FC seat comes available, they have dibs on it before any EXP sticker upgrade.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:47 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
In this case, they actually paid for FC but they're riding in coach. If a FC seat comes available, they have dibs on it before any EXP sticker upgrade.
If this happens, would that person show up on the upgrade list or since they paid for FC it wouldn't be considered an "upgrade" and thus not be on the list?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
When the 24-hour mark hits, does it basically wipe the slate clean for everybody? I think it does but I could be wrong.

For example, if three EXPs (including myself) requested an upgrade and two of us checked in at, or after, the 24-hour mark but the third did not, is it possible for the third to get upgraded automatically (get the email saying you've been upgraded and new seat assignmet, etc.) since they did not check in already?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by AGuyAndADogInDFW
When the 24-hour mark hits, does it basically wipe the slate clean for everybody? I think it does but I could be wrong.

For example, if three EXPs (including myself) requested an upgrade and two of us checked in at, or after, the 24-hour mark but the third did not, is it possible for the third to get upgraded automatically (get the email saying you've been upgraded and new seat assignmet, etc.) since they did not check in already?
No. Check-in time only affects upgrades at the airport. Your original request is still valid and unaffected by check-in up to 3 hours before flight time.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
If I understand the OP right, he is saying he's getting a 10% success rate on upgrades this year.

I've missed a few this year that surprised me, but of 85 non-eagle coach segments I've hit 8-8 on eVIPs and 65-69 on domestic.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:43 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
No. Check-in time only affects upgrades at the airport. Your original request is still valid and unaffected by check-in up to 3 hours before flight time.
(Just to expand upon a completely correct answer )
Then, at about the 3 hour mark, all is wiped clean...and the check-in time that started 24 hours or so prior is used to establish the New World Order for upgrades on the flight. So, the original order stays in effect beyond the 24 hour mark...this is just used at airport control time.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.