Wiki Posts
Search

Is this itinerary 'legal' for US Citizens--Stopping in Havana

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Is this itinerary 'legal' for US Citizens--Stopping in Havana

While searching for cheap Business fares MIA-MVD in Nov/Dec, I was surprised that aa.com gave me the following option:

12/1
AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY MEXICANA DE AVIACION
8256 MIA-CUN 320
LAN CHILE
587 CUN-HAV 763
587 HAV-SCL 763
900 SCL-MVD 763

12/5
LAN CHILE
901 MVD-SCL 320
500 SCL-MIA 763

While I'd hate to miss out on the EQMs in/out of Cuba, it would be nice to try LAN's J on such an unusual route. However, since Americans are not permitted to travel to Cuba as "tourists," would this be allowed by the State Dept. since it's a through flight and I doubt anyone not destined for HAV would get off the plane and we wouldn't be "entering" Cuba.

Anyone tried this?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Have not tried it, but it would seem to be legal (though just barely) since the prohibition on US Citizens is not a prohibition on traveling to / through Cuba but rather on spending money there. Ymmv.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I have no idea if you deplane and clear immigration in HAV (like on a CX ANC technical stop) so you may want to know that and avoid the little Cuban stamp in your passport as well.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by PeoDeMIA
since Americans are not permitted to travel to Cuba as "tourists," would this be allowed by the State Dept.
It has nothing to do with the US Dept. of State.

It's the US Dept. of the Treasury that may have some questions for you upon return. They are the ones that are enforcing an economic embargo against Cuba, and they will be the ones to ask questions and if any punishment comes down, it's from US Dept of the Treasury.

As an American you are allowed to travel to Cuba, just not spend any money there unless given an exemption by the US dept of the Treasury.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
More information than you will want to know...

American Association for the Advancement of Science travel to Cuba pages

U S Department of State Cuba travel pages

U S Treasury Department - Office of Foreign Assets Control Cuba regulatory information

And finally, IANAL, but while your stopover without staying or purchasing anything in Cuba could be legal, the one thing I see that is truly horrifying and Draconian for FlyerTalkers, from aa.com:

Note: All flights to/from Cuba, Royal Jordanian flights to/from Iraq, and British Airways transatlantic flights between the U.S. and the U.K. are not eligible for mileage accrual or redemption. (My emphases.)

CUN-HAV-SCL may be ineligible for AAdvantage miles-earning purposes.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by JDiver
American Association for the Advancement of Science travel to Cuba pages

U S Department of State Cuba travel pages

U S Treasury Department - Office of Foreign Assets Control Cuba regulatory information

And finally, IANAL, but while your stopover without staying or purchasing anything in Cuba could be legal, the one thing I see that is truly horrifying and Draconian for FlyerTalkers, from aa.com:

Note: All flights to/from Cuba, Royal Jordanian flights to/from Iraq, and British Airways transatlantic flights between the U.S. and the U.K. are not eligible for mileage accrual or redemption. (My emphases.)

I gather that the OP was looking to pay for J seats rather than use AA miles for them.

While searching for cheap Business fares MIA-MVD in Nov/Dec...
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:12 pm

Yes, and possibly earning miles too , no? After all, the OP is a red-blooded FlyerTalker.

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
I gather that the OP was looking to pay for J seats rather than use AA miles for them.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

All Royal Jordanian flights to/from Iraq are not eligible for mileage accrual or redemption
I understand Cuba (embargo) and BA transatlantic (antitrust problems) but whats the rationale about Iraq?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:08 pm

I believe it's a holdover from the "Trading with the Enemy Act." Not exactly confidence-inspiring, is it?

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I understand Cuba (embargo) and BA transatlantic (antitrust problems) but whats the rationale about Iraq?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
If the ticket includes any sort of airport tax, I can't imagine it would be legal.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:24 pm

That's another good point, IMO. In any case, if no AAdvantage miles are accruable on the segments to and from Havana, why bother? After all, this is FlyerTalk...

Originally Posted by SuperSnoop
If the ticket includes any sort of airport tax, I can't imagine it would be legal.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP-1MM
Iraq embargo

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The obvious reason for an Iraq embargo is to prevent soldiers from using their AA miles for free passage or upgrades!
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

According to the OP, the HAV stop is a stopover on a through flight (i.e. the same flight number applies for CUN-HAV-SCL). As such, AAdvantage may see it as a CUN-SCL flight and not as travel to/from Cuba. Only way to know for sure is to ask.

That said, what happens if the plane goes mechanical in HAV and you are forced to deplane and overnight. Can you avoid spending any money?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:04 pm

I guess technically, if the airline puts you up with vouchers for food and bed, you have not spent any money in Cuba. Otherwise, it may be a long hard stay on a bench at / near Aeropuerto Internacional José Martí, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba.

My concern if I were flying these flights is that AA might somehow have the flight information in its computers, pegging them as ineligible for mileage accrual, and that a plea for mileage mercy would fall on deaf ears. I'd probably choose another routing and not Fidel with these things... (RD&H!)

Originally Posted by PresRDC
According to the OP, the HAV stop is a stopover on a through flight (i.e. the same flight number applies for CUN-HAV-SCL). As such, AAdvantage may see it as a CUN-SCL flight and not as travel to/from Cuba. Only way to know for sure is to ask.

That said, what happens if the plane goes mechanical in HAV and you are forced to deplane and overnight. Can you avoid spending any money?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:04 pm

I'd probably choose another routing and not Fidel with these things... (RD&H!)
I'd agree. One might not be Havana good time if they experienced any of the issues JDiver mentioned.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.