reserving seats on FF tickets

Old Jul 23, 07, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

reserving seats on FF tickets

i just put our vacation tickets on hold: ORD to CDG, equipment is 763, economy class (2-3-2). i prefer aisle seats, so i held the two aisle seats in the middle section, leaving the seat between us open.

i've heard that when you plan it this way, that middle seat likely won't get filled. conventional wisdom? foolish in this day and age? the trip is in late december, so i could certainly keep my eyes on the seating chart and change our seats if need be... just curious if i went about it the smart way or not.

thanks!

LA Lady
Old Jul 23, 07, 11:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd not count on that middle seat remaining unfilled, particularly in late December. If I were you, I'd book port or starboard side pair, using www.SeatGuru.com and any status I had to help in my selection, while you still have a selection to choose from. "I've heard" near Christmas aircraft have a tendency to fill up, and I know seat blocking won't even happen for Executive Platinums traveling together. (Also remember bulkheads often mean babies, and the forward Economy mini-cabin tends to have infants, children and accompanying family members assigned there - it may not matter to you, but an overnight flight with babies crying because of dryness, pressure changes, etc. etc. can make a transat flight even more challenging.)

Enjoy your holiday in Paris!

Originally Posted by LAlady View Post
i just put our vacation tickets on hold: ORD to CDG, equipment is 763, economy class (2-3-2). i prefer aisle seats, so i held the two aisle seats in the middle section, leaving the seat between us open.

i've heard that when you plan it this way, that middle seat likely won't get filled. conventional wisdom? foolish in this day and age? the trip is in late december, so i could certainly keep my eyes on the seating chart and change our seats if need be... just curious if i went about it the smart way or not.

thanks!

LA Lady
Old Jul 23, 07, 11:09 pm

While that middle seat is less likely to get taken than an aisle or window seat, I wouldn't count on it. I would recommend taking two of the seats by the window, enjoying the view and not worrying about whether someone sits between the two of you.
Old Jul 24, 07, 12:10 am

And I am going to disagree with everyone and tell you to go ahead and do it. That is a strategy my husband and I use. However, and this is the part that makes it different. If someone takes the middle seat between us, my husband swaps with them. No one has *ever* turned down an aisle seat and said they wanted a middle one!!!

The odds are good that you may have to do this, but if there is an empty seat, it is more likely to be a middle one, especially if you pick a row near, but not at the back. At least twice, during the busy season, there was one empty seat in coach, and it was the one between us, and wasn't because the airline blocked it for us.

Good luck!

Jaelle
Old Jul 24, 07, 12:23 am

Programs: AA
I fully agree. You've lost nothing if you have to trade one of the aisle seats for the middle. And there is the chance that you will get the empty seat between you--it will be the last to fill up. To me this more valuable if you are not in the bulkhead. An empty seat between you is not as big of a deal if the armrests don't raise.

Originally Posted by Jaelle View Post
If someone takes the middle seat between us, my husband swaps with them. No one has *ever* turned down an aisle seat and said they wanted a middle one!!!
Jaelle
Old Jul 24, 07, 12:27 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
My wife and I often book two seats in a 3-seat section, leaving the middle seat empty between us. If the plane ends up full and we don't get upgraded and some stranger ends up in that middle seat, then ... the stranger flies in the middle seat.

Why should I or my wife sit in a middle seat to accomodate some stranger who booked at the last minute? If we're not right jam-up next to each other, so what? We'll be 19 inches away from each other for several hours in the air. That's closer than we normally are to each other on the ground. I refuse to plan ahead, book in advance, select my seat, then fly in a middle seat to accomodate a stranger.
Old Jul 24, 07, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus

thanks!

LA Lady
Late December? I would avoid the middle section, unless you plan to BUY the middle seat.
Old Jul 24, 07, 2:12 am

thanks!

LA Lady
How late in December? If you indeed mean around Christmas then, yes, that seat will be filled except for December 24th and 31st.
Old Jul 24, 07, 2:41 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by millionmiler View Post
How late in December? If you indeed mean around Christmas then, yes, that seat will be filled except for December 24th and 31st.
And 25th of Course

Search this Thread
Search Engine: