Advice on JFK-EZE Using Miles, Please......

Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Advice on JFK-EZE Using Miles, Please......

Hi, all.

There is basically no availability in November for JFK-EZE *nonstop* in business class other than the 180K Anytime.

I only have 125K to use.

Do you think it's likely something will open up in the next several weeks for the nonstops? The load factors are quite low right now. My choice is either to book connecting service now, which I really don't want, or to hold out for the nonstops.

What do you think are my chances something will open up? Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not sure if your search included LAN.. but there are quite a few seats available on them, although via SCL. Connecting on LAN via SCL is quite different than connecting on AA via MIA.

I flew the new nonstop JFK-SCL, and it was fantastic.. I'm 6'5 and I managed to sleep quite well on their new fully flat J seat.

AA has pretty much got a strangle hold on nonstop JFK-EZE traffic, so I'd just grab the LAN seats and not hold my breath for a U seat to open up on AA.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 5:12 am

I have flown this route many times and YES.. seats do open up but not until about 7 days prior to flight time in U class ( business class awards on AA )...
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Strategies?

RTW:

What would you recommend then? Book and hold the connecting flights and just keep extending the deadline until the nonstops open up? Or just stay put and hold onto my miles and keep checking everyday?

Oneworldboy:

I have not checked yet, but I thought that if you did the routing through SCL the itinerary was something like 15hrs long? Is that not correct?

Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:40 am

I would go LAN if possible, much better service.

If you can connect - try DFW versus MIA, a bit longer but you will be glad you avoided MIA.

I have done it a few times myself.

Going throigh SCL will add hours to your trip or you can even schedule a stop over for a day or two - a great AAdvantage to using miles for the ticket.

PEACE!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:02 pm

If my only destination in SA was EZE, I would not pick LAN as my primary carrier. I found LAN service in J to be equal or at times worst than AA. Adding hours to your trip just so you are flying LAN through SCL is not worth it, IMHO.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

Any other advice on the likelihood of space opening up on the nonstops? Thank you.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Got Business

For what it is worth, I got Business from MIA to MVD two days ago, departing 31 October.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:22 am

I know some have said LANs service can be marginal... but all four flights on LAN were great. Food is fine.. wine is fantastic, seat and AVOD great as well.

Another benefit of LAN was that I could confirm 2 Business Class seats with little-to-no schedule playing.. just pick dates where JFK-SCL and vice versa operates nonstop.

As RTW4 says, nonstop seats could well open up.. but it's a bit of a gamble, and you'll get hit with the expedite fees if you're not an EXP.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by uluvbs
Hi, all.

There is basically no availability in November for JFK-EZE *nonstop* in business class other than the 180K Anytime.

I only have 125K to use.

Do you think it's likely something will open up in the next several weeks for the nonstops? The load factors are quite low right now. My choice is either to book connecting service now, which I really don't want, or to hold out for the nonstops.

What do you think are my chances something will open up? Thanks.
I wouldnt count on it opening up in Nov. I go every year in Nov and load factors are very high. Last year AA substitued 777 for this route and loads were still high. This year no indication that they will use a 777 rather than 763. If other route is avail now I would take it rather than gamble.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, Hillton Gold, Marriot Silver, United 2P
Any other advice on the likelihood of space opening up on the nonstops? Thank you.
I would book the connecting flights to make sure you have something, then call back once a week or so. Better yet get a membership to expertflyer.com and set up an alert for U class on the flight you want. This might cost you a $100 in a change fee, but at least you'll have the security of knowing you'll get there.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
You can also consider JL JFK-GRU, connecting on LA to EZE. TAM is still a partner, I believe, so you could also route via GIG on an AA/TAM combination.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:12 am

I looked at the JL option as well.. nothing like the upper deck of a 747, but that route operates only a couple times a week, and is mostly full of paid J tickets.. thus very sparse mileage burning opportunities.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:47 am
Original Poster

I ended up

Ended up booking JFK-MIA-EZE (connecting in MIA), first class, for 125K miles and seems like I got the very last seat on those planes. Smart choice?

Also, there are two flights a day from EZE to MIA, and I am currently on the earlier one. Is there a way after I ticket the itinerary that I can get myself (easily) moved onto the later flight?

Thank you.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Also, there are two flights a day from EZE to MIA, and I am currently on the earlier one. Is there a way after I ticket the itinerary that I can get myself (easily) moved onto the later flight?
Yes, you can even move to the non-stop JFK-EZE flight if that were to open up. If you wanted to change to a LGA origination or return, however, you would have to pay a change fee for reissuing the ticket.

But changing your routing between origin and destination is free of charge. So no charge for moving to the later MIA-EZE flight if that's what you want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.