Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Exec Platinum status?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:21 pm
dc3
Original Poster

Buy Exec Platinum status?

Hi - Last summer I recall AA ran a promotion where you could essentially 'buy' status for the remainder of the year...it was $10K for EXP and the money was an account for travel but had to be used by 12/31.

Anyone know if they are doing that this year and where to get the info?

Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:23 pm

For 10K cant you fly a few trips to make EXP? I know I could do it... especially since buying only lets you keep it until the end of th year (if they are still doing that) and flying it would give it to you for 2008!

Peace!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by PapiTheWriter
For 10K cant you fly a few trips to make EXP? I know I could do it... especially since buying only lets you keep it until the end of th year (if they are still doing that) and flying it would give it to you for 2008!
The purchase was for what was, in essence, $10,000 worth of prepaid travel, with the bonus of being EXP for the rest of the year. If one was going to spend that much on travel anyway, the benefit was that you could enjoy the status as you traveled for the rest of the year, and not just after it had been earned the regular way.

That being said, I don't recall seeing any mention that AA would be doing this again this year.

Mike
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Yeah, it seems a waste to plop down 10k up front when you could just fly for the status.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by dc3
Hi - Last summer I recall AA ran a promotion where you could essentially 'buy' status for the remainder of the year...it was $10K for EXP and the money was an account for travel but had to be used by 12/31.

Anyone know if they are doing that this year and where to get the info?

Thanks.
Never saw it, news to me. Not aware that AA ever allowed EXP purchase. Best way to buy EXP is buy tickets and fly to meet the requirements/rules..
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:27 pm
dc3
Original Poster

status is for my wife...

should have been more clear about my intentions. I have EXP but my wife does not. I wanted to buy the status for her and use the money for my tickets (that I will buy anyway). It would make it much easier to get upgrades when travelling with the kids...we'll book seperately and each have one with us to upgrade.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:34 pm

Doesn't anyone search AA.com anymore for the answers?

Click here for details of "The 2007 American Airlines Prepaid Travel Card"
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM
I did that last August and was EXP until Feb 28. I found it hard to use the $10,000 in prepaid travel and the VIP upgrades by Feb 28. The tickets could only be for yourself and never a companion. This year AA offered EXP for the whole year for 20,000, but the offer has now expired
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:44 pm

My apologies, the offer closed on June 12 - I didn't bother clicking through and checking.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
Alex, even though the offer is gone, a point to remember for future, if they offer it again. The money is for purchasers travel only. You CAN use it for another person but they take a 25% penality. The biggest problem is being used to booking several people together and now having to call and have the reservations seperated....and then maybe linked for upgrade.....keeping track of more locator numbers.....if there are problems with the flight, seating, you may not be considered as flying together (problem when traveling with kids....). Otherwise great.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:59 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
For $20,000, I'll fly with you anywhere you wanna go, all year long, and will use my status to upgrade one of your kids.

* limited to first 100,000 miles or points or 100 segments, after which the kids will have their own dang EXP status and can upgrade ME for a change.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Jul 14, 2007 at 10:58 pm Reason: Update price to today's going rate, 20K (instead of 10K)
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by ChicagoAA
I did that last August and was EXP until Feb 28. I found it hard to use the $10,000 in prepaid travel and the VIP upgrades by Feb 28. The tickets could only be for yourself and never a companion. This year AA offered EXP for the whole year for 20,000, but the offer has now expired
They gave the 8 eVIP's too? If I had known that, I would have plonked down the 10k last summer. I think it's a good deal.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
The offer in the link required $20,000 to reach EXP, not $10,000. That means you had And until February 2008 to use it, or lose it. Why anyone would pay to receive status where upgrades were not a guarantee is beyond me.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
The offer in the link required $20,000 to reach EXP, not $10,000. That means you had And until February 2008 to use it, or lose it. Why anyone would pay to receive status where upgrades were not a guarantee is beyond me.
I reached EXP last fall. I am about 95% on upgrades this year; I have received an upgrade on every international flight. I'd say it's worth buying. I would have spent the $10k to get the offer they had last year--I didn't know about it!
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I reached EXP last fall. I am about 95% on upgrades this year; I have received an upgrade on every international flight. I'd say it's worth buying. I would have spent the $10k to get the offer they had last year--I didn't know about it!
It might make sense if one is not currently EXP, as a bootstrap. I'm assuming that the miles flown on the prepaid count toward future status. Since, as noted, it is $20K (and not $10K) for a full year, one must then ask themselves, going forward, if they will be able to achieve EXP for less than that. In my case, it will be less even than the $10K, so I'd simply be throwing money out the window in this case. Others' patterns are different.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.