Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed awaiting flight attendants..who are at McDonalds!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:30 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
FA's shoulda boarded the flight hungry, then gone to McDonalds at SAT. We'd still have the same thread on FT, but it would be a different OP.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
FA's shoulda boarded the flight hungry, then gone to McDonalds at SAT. We'd still have the same thread on FT, but it would be a different OP.
At times like these don't you missed the Bistro BAAgs
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat, Virgin: Silver, Midwest, US Airways: Gold, NW, Lufthansa: Freq Trav
FA's & McDonalds

Originally Posted by SwissCircle
I`d would be interesting to see what the marketing department would think of FA`s boarding a flight that might service first class food and has no (not too sure) relations to the named fast food brand.
"Their food better than our`s?"
I have to side with the FA's. So it takes a few extra minutes. They probably eat McDonalds more than most so they should get more of our sympathy!
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:09 pm

AA needed to cut costs, so they negotiated the elimination of crew meals--understandable, I think. In this instance, the crew needed food, but couldn't get it without causing a bit of a delay--also understandable, I think. It just sounds like one of those things that happens on rare occasions. I wouldn't blame the F/As or AA for it, really, but I can understand that it could be awfully frustrating to arrive late or even miss a connection as a result of it.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by chuck1
I expect to be fussed at a bit here, but I recently had a DFW-SAT was delayed due to awaiting flight attendants. Evidently the inbound crew was so late AA found another crew and posted a short delay.
You original flight crew was delayed. Instead of making you wait or canceling your flight altogether, AA got a new crew for your flight. The hungry FAs stopped to get some food -- which instead of taking a break to eat on the spot (you almost made it sound like they stopped off at Chili's for a sit down) -- they brought it on the plane so they could eat it later. And you find reason to complain about this?

Have you ever had to work on a hungry stomach? Not too much fun is it?

The FAs are human beings, they are allowed to eat, be compassionate. It doesn't take much.

I'm sure AA would be more than glad to provide FA meals if we are all willing to pay an extra $5 to $10 for our flights. Considering how many increases in fares don't stick, it's obvious most of us aren't willing to pay one bit extra to make the working condition for AA employees any better.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
flight AAttendAAnts (FAAs) work very hard for little pAAy. one of the many contract renegotiations since 9/11 could have been the loss of meAAls. if this was their only opportunity to grAAb grub, would you rather they go hungry? and, yes, they did get the food to go. (i also doubt the gAAte AAgents would shAAke their heAAds. the GAAs also receive sub-stAAndAArd wAAges.)

this seems a bit petty, no?
A lovely AA Flight Attendant used to post here and told us they had to bring their own meals for quite a while now. That may have been their only chance all day to grab a bite. When I have time between flights, I sometimes try to get a little extra "treat" for the FAs. Lord knows they deserve it.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:33 pm

to all the FA supporters on this thread.

I understand that they might have been hungry, and they got their food to go. However, their judgment to get food which further delayed the flight is inexcusable.

The flight attendants chose not to bring their own food with them from home. Thus, they took the risk of not being able to eat when there are heavy delays. It's not like they don't have bags they roll around that can easily fit a power bar or sandwich in case of emergencies. In addition, the line at McDonald's during peak times at DFW or any airport for that matter can last a good amount of time (waiting to order + waiting to get food).

If I'm driving from client site to client site and I have a meeting at 1pm, would I stop in line at the Wendy's drive-through at 12:56pm b/c I haven't eaten? Do you think my boss would find that ok if I was late to the 1pm meeting? Probably not. Do you think the client would think that was ok? In most cases no.

Double standard on this thread if you ask me.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
to all the FA supporters on this thread.

I understand that they might have been hungry, and they got their food to go. However, their judgment to get food which further delayed the flight is inexcusable.

The flight attendants chose not to bring their own food with them from home.
inexcusable?

what if they were working all day? are they supposed to travel with a cooler along with their luggage to keep food fresh? what is the legal work day limit for FAs? and, what if this was their last flight? are they supposed to eat grAAnolAA bAArs?

give me a break. they stopped by McD and picked up some food to go because they were hungry. guessing what they mAAke, i don't think they would waste money buying McD deliberately trying to make a flight lAAte. what a brutAAl post. to you.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, DL Silver, SPG Lifetime Gold

If I'm driving from client site to client site and I have a meeting at 1pm, would I stop in line at the Wendy's drive-through at 12:56pm b/c I haven't eaten? Do you think my boss would find that ok if I was late to the 1pm meeting? Probably not. Do you think the client would think that was ok? In most cases no.

No your boss wouldnt think it was ok if you stopped en route to a meeting, and I wouldn't stop myself. However, you and I don't have to be fresh minded, alert, and in top frame of mind to perform safety tasks should need be. Well, at least we don't have to perform the safety tasks...

Regarding a long line at peak times at McDonalds, you don't know for a fact that there was a long line, and I'd like to think that if that had been the case, they probably wouldn't have stopped. We just don't know that.

Regardless, there is a big difference between what you and i need to perform our jobs (a meeting) and what they need to do in their jobs (alert, fresh minded, and keeping us safe).

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 19, 2007 at 7:32 pm Reason: complete quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Its a good thing they ate McDonald's instead of sitting down at Friday's. Everybody deserves to eat and maybe because of the change of plans they weren't prepared. Perhaps they could have sent somebody to get them food instead of standing in line themselves, which is similar to what we do sometimes at the office when we're too busy to stop, but I don't know if that was an option for them. And there's no point in assuming the line was long... maybe the stopped because there was nobody in line and they knew they could make it super fast. While I might be irritated in general because my flight was late, and maybe even grumpy and bitter about the flight attendants because of my general stress level, but I'd always have to admit they have a right to food. Its a good thing they were available to get your flight out, anyway.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:54 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
The flight attendants chose not to bring their own food with them from home. Thus, they took the risk of not being able to eat when there are heavy delays. It's not like they don't have bags they roll around that can easily fit a power bar or sandwich in case of emergencies.
Guess you haven't flown for 6 days straight trying to keep food that is to be kept frozen with you.

A sandwhich can only last so many days being thawed, frozen, thawed, frozen before it is no longer good to eat.

Before the last contract, we use to get stuff like 'ramen noodles' but flavored....it was nasty. Cha-cha chili, Mac-n-Cheese, and something else. All you had to do was add hot water. It all tasted like horrible card-board. It was inedible.

Then at the contract, we finally won a FC meal for the flight crew on select flights. Schedules that wouldn't allow us enough time between flights to grab a bite to eat. Then the concessions hit.

I love this job, but I'll be damned if I'm going to lug an extra tote bag full of food (which many FAs do) that I have to empty out and repack because the ice block has melted, the cold thingy has leaked, or my food has spoiled by the time I actually get to eat it.

Many FAs are crabby towards the end of the day because they haven't eaten anything all day and have been flying non-stop.

KUDO's to the crew for replenishing their stomachs and thinking about their well being, as well as the safety of the pax. I know I couldn't perfom many safety related duties on an empty stomach!
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
FAs have to eat too. Seriously, how long could it have really taken them to get their McDs to carry on board?

Heck, week before last I was standing at the gate at DFW, watched 3 FAs board the MD80 and about 10 minutes later had the GA announce "ladies & gentlemen, we'll be boarding just as soon as the FAs arrive and board the plane. We hope they'll be here soon." I walked over to the GA said "I suggest you look on the plane as you have 3 FAs on board now" GA checked and boarding was announced.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Food I can understand. What about something else? For example, what if it were the same situation but instead of McDonald's, it was Starbucks coffee? Does that make a difference?

The reason I ask is I've actually had this happen atleast twice that I can remember and I know Sluggo and some other FA's are reading this thread.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by kflyer2
No your boss wouldnt think it was ok if you stopped en route to a meeting, and I wouldn't stop myself. However, you and I don't have to be fresh minded, alert, and in top frame of mind to perform safety tasks should need be. Well, at least we don't have to perform the safety tasks...
The exact double standard I'm talking about!! What job do you not have to be fresh minded and alert?

Regarding a long line at peak times at McDonalds, you don't know for a fact that there was a long line, and I'd like to think that if that had been the case, they probably wouldn't have stopped. We just don't know that.
Then why are you commenting if you and I don't know how long it took? It doesn't matter how long it took b/c it caused the flight to be delayed even longer.

Regardless, there is a big difference between what you and i need to perform our jobs (a meeting) and what they need to do in their jobs (alert, fresh minded, and keeping us safe).
Completely erroneous. If I'm driving a client, I guess I don't need to be fully awake or adequately nourished to drive a car. That's waaaaaay more dangerous than being a FA.

As for the "top frame of mind to peform safety tasks", puuuuh-leeeze. It's really hard to tell passengers to turn off their blackberries and buckle their safety belts on an empty stomach.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Was also delayed on a STL-MIA run a few months ago because two of the flight attendants from the inbound flight (that was 50 minutes late), who were doing the return, opted to leave the plane after the aircraft (a 757) was deplaned, disappeared for nearly 20 minutes, returning with nothing more than beverages from Starbucks. Ultimately led to nearly a 90 minute delay.

Both GAs were PO'd, paging the flight attendants multiple times to return to the gate, but no luck. Completely irresponsible behavior; not sure I want such careless employees responsible for my safety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.