Wiki Posts
Search

PVR Information

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP
PVR Information

I'm in the process of planning a family trip to the Riu in Puerto Vallarta come August, and was hoping for some insightful information regarding travel to PVR.

I will be flying from FAT thru DFW and best dates for upgrades to this vacation locale would be appreciated, as well as the general layout of the PVR aiport itself. AA.com notes that the check-in counter is only open for three hours per day, which sounds iffy. Also, is the the three hour check-in rule still required for elite/J travelers?

Thank you for your time,
John
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
I did LGA-DFW-PVR-DFW-LGA back in May and it was a very pleasant trip. PV is a great place for a vacation. August, though, will be VERY warm there.

Upgrades should be fairly easy to secure on this route as it is mainly a leisure route. I am a GLD and it's not always easy to get an upgrade but if I wanted one it would have been easy to secure on these flights. Business was at most 6/16 on both flights, with coach being nearly full. My girlfriend and I had exit row seats and saw no reason to burn upgrades on such an easy flight.

The AA counters are well staffed but beware there is a bag check prior to check -in. Security agents will go through every bag you intend to check so it will not be as simple as walking up to the counter. We used the J class line and had no difficulty. But, allow extra time. 3 Hours seems a bit much for this airport but I'd budget at least 1.5 or 2 hours.

The liquids policy is VERY strange. Liquids are permitted through security. Feel free to bring a 5 liter bottle of water through security. But, don't expect to bring it on board. There is a mandatory hand check of all carry on luggage prior to boarding. Everyone who thought they were following the rules by carrying their little baggies found their lotions, creams, etc. confiscated. My girlfriend had a small tube of bliss lotion (stolen from a W somewhere) and they took that. If you bring any liquids through security just make sure they are on your person as opposed to being in your carry on.

The security policy at this airport defies me . . . .
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I departed PVR (on CO, however) in January. Note that there is no Elite/Premium Class security line. The line was rather long (~30+ minutes IIRC), although it was right after New Year's.

Check-in, at least at the CO Business Class counter, was quick and painless.

As far as PV in August...well...that's at your own risk.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP
August wasn't my first choice, but my cousin and I are scoping locales for next year's family reunion.

Thanks for the heads-up
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:22 pm

I flew AA to PVR last summer, out of EWR through DFW and stayed in Mexico City a couple of days, before heading to PVR (the domestic portion MEX-PVR on Mexicana). On the way back, we did PVR-ORD-EWR. The flights were rather empty, specially the PRV-ORD - I was kind of surprised as I haven't seen so many empty seats lately... . You may get lucky too, Summer is their low season.

As far a check-in, I believe we were at the airport 2 hours before and had no problems at all. Security lines were fast and we even had time to hang out and get drinks before boarding. I also found interesting that all American planes (AA, CO, DL, etc) were not using jetways - perhaps a security issue. They were busing everybody to the planes at the end of the tamarac...

Weather wise, expect rain every afternoon...

Have fun!
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:38 pm

John,

We fly in/out of PVR in May. The arrival to PVR is something I've never experienced before. The area after customs is a zoo,to say the least. At least 100 people wanting to know what hotel you were staying at, holding signs for xyz hotel, etc. Don't stop there unless you want to buy a timeshare!! Proceed to the taxi booth right before the exit and buy a ticket for the public taxi.

Departure was fairly easy. Yes, your check in will be hand checked. No big deal. As non-revs on AA we did get upgraded. No liquids can be carried on, including empty water bottles. And, yes, we did get bused out to the MD80 for boarding. No big deal.

Enjoy your trip to paradise!!
Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
I have always used the jetways at PVR - but seen others using the busses. I guess it just depends.

Also, when you arrive and if you are taking a taxi, you will see an 'official' booth near the exit that you negotiate the rate with. Do not take the first rate - especially off season. At the end of May, my last time there, we were offered a price of $40 (4 people to the old town). I got it for $20. If you have just carry-on luggage, you can take a left and take the walkway over the highway and pick up a taxi for about $15.

It will be hot, some restaurants will be closed, but no matter when I go, I always have a good time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.