Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OW JAL Award Availability (LAX-NRT) Using AA miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by aw
From talking to an agent at the Advantage desk. I wanted to check availability from SHA-SFO and she specifically said that JL cannot be used for this type of awards. I'll call back again.

Shanghai is in the Asia 2 region while Japan is in the Asia 1 region. If you want to fly from the US to China through Japan you will either need to use a OW award type or two regular all partner awards. Perhaps that's what she was thinking of.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aw
From talking to an agent at the Advantage desk. I wanted to check availability from SHA-SFO and she specifically said that JL cannot be used for this type of awards. I'll call back again.
I are you sure you got the airport right?

SHA comes up as Shanghai which presumably is the old airport as opposed to the International airport PVG.
JAL flies from SHA only as codeshare with China Eastern and consequently you would be unable to get an AA award on those flights.

Also (the other problem is answered above )

mike
Old May 25, 2009, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Shanghai is in the Asia 2 region while Japan is in the Asia 1 region. If you want to fly from the US to China through Japan you will either need to use a OW award type or two regular all partner awards. Perhaps that's what she was thinking of.
I hope "she" is wrong. From the celebrate "aa award rule" post here, NA to Asia 2 can connect Asia 1, so US-China via Japan must be possible as long as AA didn't change routing rules in recent.

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
SHA comes up as Shanghai which presumably is the old airport as opposed to the International airport PVG.
I think aw used SHA as inclusive Shanghai rather than Hongqiao airport itself. People use TYO/BJS/SEL/OSA/etc. frequently although not 100% clear.
Old May 25, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I are you sure you got the airport right?

JAL flies from SHA only as codeshare with China Eastern and consequently you would be unable to get an AA award on those flights.

Also (the other problem is answered above )

mike
Actually, there is one JL metal flight SHA-HND in the afternoon as a direct city-to-city scheduled charter flight similar to GMP-HND. Flight is even on a widebody B-777 ^
Old May 26, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA
Personally I would try and secure seats on SFO/NRT if you wanted to get the new suites. For example checking about 30+ days out (mid June to early July) I see quite a bit of inventory on SFO/NRT almost nothing on 005/006 and some scattered on 047/048.

mike
That's a good idea! Thanks Mike

And if I am to fly out of SFO, what carrier would you recommend flying between NYC-SFO?
Old May 26, 2009, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alpharosean
That's a good idea! Thanks Mike

And if I am to fly out of SFO, what carrier would you recommend flying between NYC-SFO?
I think AA would pretty much be your option presumably you would be redeeming an award NYC/NRT right?

mike
Old May 26, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA
I think AA would pretty much be your option presumably you would be redeeming an award NYC/NRT right?

mike
You're right. I wanted to try CX, but HK is apparently in another zone, requiring additional mileages unfortunately.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
award availability seems harder to come by now. but maybe that's just because I'm looking for dates in december.

i wonder why KVS can't incorporate the JAL system into their tool?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:25 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
award availability seems harder to come by now. but maybe that's just because I'm looking for dates in december.

i wonder why KVS can't incorporate the JAL system into their tool?
JL First awards are already supported -- please see
http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes

Last edited by KVS; Nov 9, 2009 at 8:36 pm Reason: Correction: First
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by KVS
JL Business awards are already supported -- please see
http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes
Only A is listed (First). I've tried searching with U (Business) on a few dates and nothing shows up.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:43 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Only A is listed (First). I've tried searching with U (Business) on a few dates and nothing shows up.
Indeed, I meant First instead of Business.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:12 pm

Personally I would try and secure seats on SFO/NRT if you wanted to get the new suites. For example checking about 30+ days out (mid June to early July) I see quite a bit of inventory on SFO/NRT almost nothing on 005/006 and some scattered on 047/048.

mike

Can you tell how (where) do you check?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by eastbiz
Can you tell how (where) do you check?
If you go to JAL's site and sign up for an account, you can search on JAL award availability.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:23 pm

Yes, I did that. It shows plenty available in first class from Los Angeles to Tokyo at the end of July. I also called Aadvantage and they said nothing is available. I was wondering what I am missing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.