Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been paged in the AC to work out a seat swap?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:15 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Sorry for the interruption but i think it's necessary. As i read the start of this thread, it occurred to me that the OP merely is asking this question:
"I am just wondering if others have been paged while working or relaxing in an AC to work out a seat swap. This question is my basic OP. I am wondering if it is common. Thanks. "

Seems to me he/she is not asking your thoughts about his particular response, as he always clearly knows that. He's asking about your experiences being paged and it seems reasonable that if you have, you can answer or add to this thread with that situation and how you personally felt about it. Sometimes by hearing how others view a similar situation we will change our own behavior or thoughts about the same situation in the future.

So, only post to this thread if you have been paged (just as the thread asks) and your own thoughts on it. It is my hope that as you relate your own experience, that others won't chastise you for your own thoughts. We're all different and we all have our own thoughts with similar experiences - hardly something we can't understand.

Thank you.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:32 pm

I was paged recently at the EZE club to ask if I would swap seats. It was for another seat of equal quality on the opposite side of the plane and I was happy to help out and let a woman sit by her husband. Of course, when I heard my name being paged, I was hoping for an Op-up, but sadly, it was not for that.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:34 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by brp
I wonder how many people here who are of the "leave me the freak alone when I'm in the club" opinion would not appreciate if the same were done to help them by paging someone else.
Spouse and I are both EXP. It's fairly common for us to be upgraded separately. Therefore it's fairly common for me to ask the AC if they can find two seats together for us.

On a few occasions, the AC offers to page a passenger to work out a seat swap. In every case I refuse this kind offer.

There's just no good reason to disturb someone else for a transaction which should rightfully be handled at the gate or on board. If paging someone in the AC is okay, then what's the next step? Call someone at home the day before travel, to work out a seat swap?
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:21 pm

Just wish everyone would respond to a page as quickly as the OP when we do the "door closing in two minutes " call.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[moderator hat on]

Please take some time to consider the admonitions of Randy Petersen, our host here on FlyerTalk.

"only post to this thread if you have been paged (just as the thread asks) and your own thoughts on it."

If what you're about to post doesn't fit that criteria, please refrain.

[moderator hat off]
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Teacher49
[COLOR="Navy"]A few days ago I was paged in an AC to come to the front desk to respond to a request for a seat swap by another passenger.

I am just wondering if others have been paged while working or relaxing in an AC to work out a seat swap. This question is my basic OP. I am wondering if it is common. Thanks. .
I have and told them to go screw themselves and to never molest me in the AC again. I was on full fare J and a couple of upgrades were whining about not sitting together. Tough darts. With a $2000 fare comes rights over a $98 fare in my opinion and one is preselected favorite seat that you don't barter like it's eBay.

My impression is that the AC host was embarassed by the GA hunting me down like she did and I think she would not have asked if they had involved her in the search. Too bad that no AA employee in the club rule fell by the wayside.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Nope, never been paged in the AC and, like the OP, I would be a bit upset if it had happened to me for the same reasons. I would have either thought they were paging me because of some emergency or to upgrade me . I just don't think seat swapping needs to be arranged in the AC.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Sorry for the interruption but i think it's necessary. As i read the start of this thread, it occurred to me that the OP merely is asking this question:
"I am just wondering if others have been paged while working or relaxing in an AC to work out a seat swap. This question is my basic OP. I am wondering if it is common. Thanks. "

Seems to me he/she is not asking your thoughts about his particular response, as he always clearly knows that. He's asking about your experiences being paged and it seems reasonable that if you have, you can answer or add to this thread with that situation and how you personally felt about it. Sometimes by hearing how others view a similar situation we will change our own behavior or thoughts about the same situation in the future.

So, only post to this thread if you have been paged (just as the thread asks) and your own thoughts on it. It is my hope that as you relate your own experience, that others won't chastise you for your own thoughts. We're all different and we all have our own thoughts with similar experiences - hardly something we can't understand.

Thank you.
Thank you, Randy. In response to the bolded part of your post, I was inspired to look back over the responses to see if there was a indication of how others felt who have had this experience. While I was at it, I tallied how people who posted before you "felt." I certainly do not want to inspire any more nasty posts, but I did find the breakdown interesting:

Never been paged for a swap, think it is OK = 3

Never been paged for a swap, think it is not OK = 16

Have been paged for this reason, think it is OK = 2

Have been paged for this reason, think it is not OK = 2

Have been paged for this reason, neutral about whether it is OK = 2

Have paged someone else, benefited from that situation, believes it is OK = 1

I do not want to re-start the mean spirited comments or speculation.

Summary so far:

18 believe it to be inappropriate to page someone in the AC to ask them to swap seats.

5 believe it to be appropriate to page someone in the AC for a seat swap.

The rest were either neutrals or flamers.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Now that its all wrapped up... can we close this thread now?

mike
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Now that its all wrapped up... can we close this thread now?

mike
Curious. Why would you ask to close a thread not your own? Don't most threads simply fade away when people are done with them? Isn't closing a thread something that is done for a reason other than deciding for everyone that it is done?

The tally I offer was not intended to be a final count. I thought by offering a summary, the simple expression of a) has this happened to you, and b) do you think it is appropriate might be encouraged without blame and flame.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:24 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
One question about the tally- while it does seem that most people (I didn't count, but you did) feel this is inappropriate, you indicated that 1 person "had someone paged." I didn't see this response

(Perhaps that strains the credibility of the rest of the analysis?)

Cheers.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:36 am
Suspended

I was paged a long time ago because my ex-wife's father had passed away suddenly in Europe where he lived and she had tracked me down at the AC (pre-cell phone days).

To this day I cringe when I hear my name paged - which has happened for a seat swap.

I usually have my laptop out, files out, etc and am trying to get stuff done before I have to pack up.

These days I know chances are a page wont be the type of bad news as with my father-in-law, but I do hate hearing my name called - particularly in a big club where I don't want to leave my stuff out. Of course, if im waiting for an eVip to clear, different story
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Being paged under any circumstances brings back horrible childhood memories of (repeatedly) being called to the principal's office over the school PA. .

It wouldn't bother me, but IMHO, this is an "emergency" that 99.9% of the time, should be taken care of at the gate, when everyone is milling around anyway.

I have been paged for a seat swap. Upon identifying myself, was accosted by the passenger requesting the swap (before the host could explain)demanding that I swap my seat (aisle bulkhead in FC) for his center in back. As I was explaining I was in FC and the swap made no sense, 2 other people with the same name (mine is very common)came up. He immeadiatly dropped me like a hot potato with not even a sorry, and leaned into the new arrival with "Which one of you has seat XX?" I have no idea about the resolution, but he and his wife later came on board angry, and unable to make eye contact.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jul 4, 2007 at 7:59 pm
Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Well, I'm sure glad that the one time an AAngel did it for us, the person she paged wasn't one of the tough customers posting here

Cheers.
Originally Posted by brp
One question about the tally- while it does seem that most people (I didn't count, but you did) feel this is inappropriate, you indicated that 1 person "had someone paged." I didn't see this response

(Perhaps that strains the credibility of the rest of the analysis?)

Cheers.
Color me very . Perhaps you did not "have someone paged" in the sense of having asked for the person to be paged but only in the sense of another deciding to page someone on your behalf. If so, please forgive me and allow me to change the statement to the following:

"someone on behalf of whom an AAngel -quite on her own, mind you, with no request expressed or implied by the poster, and there is absolutely no evidence, not even a hint of an indication that said poster would ever have initiated such a request themselves - paged another pax to successfully effect a seat swap in the AC on behalf of said poster".

In the meantime 2 more have posted as believing it to be inappropriate for paging to occur: both were paged, one for a real emergency, the other just for seat swap. One of these people said it would bother them a lot, the other only said that it is something better done at the gate.

This brings the total who feel is inappropriate to 20 as compared to 5 who feel it is fine. Even accounting for a margin of human error in my tally - I assure you it is no greater than the margin error in the last Florida Presidential vote tally - the result thus far is quite clear. It seems to be running 4 to 1.

Last edited by Teacher49; Jul 4, 2007 at 9:57 am
Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Teacher49
Color me very . Perhaps you did not "have someone paged" if so, please forgive me if it would have been more accurate to say "someone on behalf of whom an AAngel -quite on her own, mind you, with no request expressed or implied by the poster, and there is absolutely no evidence, not even a hint of an indication that said poster would ever have initiated such a request themselves - paged another pax to successfully effect a seat swap in the AC on behalf of said poster".
Actually, the AAngel doing it on her own is very different from requesting it. I would never request that anyone be paged at the AC for something like this since it can be handled on the a/c (and I usually do that). Also, if you read my first post on the subject, you'll see that I suggested that it was more likely that the member had not checked in yet, so was asked upon check-in rather than being paged to the desk. Basically, such a non-issue to me that I don't recall the details, and posted as such.

But feel free to make things up in interpreting my post to make your point

Also, as I said, I'd have no problem with being paged, and would gladly swap seats in a tit-for-tat situation. Of course, if I'd ever been paged for an emergency, I might well feel differently, and I can surely appreciate the comments of those folks and their feelings. Not an over reaction in those cases, to be sure ^

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.