Wiki Posts
Search

How would this scenario play out?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
How would this scenario play out?

Flying on an upgrade award, Booking class A, SEA-SMF-DFW-JFK. The SEA-SMF is on AS metal. All flights booked on aa.com

However, there are a few available AA flights that do SEA-DFW, bypassing SMF completely.

If I go to the AA gate in SEA to try and fly standby on one of those flights, a) is there a fee? Does that $25 confirmed standby apply?

b) if there are seats, can the AA GA put me on the flight with the same A booking class without some sort of penalty?

c) can all this be done without any ill effect on the DFW-JFK leg, which should remain untouched anyway?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA GLD
In theory, yes, yes and yes. In practice, who knows what a GA will do?
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The Gate Agents are now trying to fill every seat on every plane as each day rolls along. I think this increased your chances of getting on a flight other than the one ticketed. About half the time I offer to pay the $25 and the GA lets me make the change without doing so.

I can't see a logic pattern in it.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
How you holding up in the rain, Old Penny?

Yes - you should be able to fly without the $25 fee. Never paid it yet, and fly standby quite often. The $25 is to CONFIRM the seat, but you can fly good ol 'russian roulette' standby for free. If it doens't work out, just fly SEA-SMF-DFW.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
The fact that you are on an award ticket should help you. Be nice, explain the situation... but, watch out about your luggage. If you check it, I am pretty sure you will have to fly the original routing. So, carry on
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by Deltahater
The fact that you are on an award ticket should help you. Be nice, explain the situation... but, watch out about your luggage. If you check it, I am pretty sure you will have to fly the original routing. So, carry on
I don't think the OP is on an award ticket.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LGAJFK
I don't think the OP is on an award ticket.
Well there is no way the OP could be on an AS UG award with AA miles.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by HNL
Well there is no way the OP could be on an AS UG award with AA miles.

Actually, it is an UG award, but only on the AA portions, as HNL mentioned.

THanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.