Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade QF/AA SYD - LAX - (JFK) - YHZ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Upgrade QF/AA SYD - LAX - (JFK) - YHZ

Hi people

This may sound silly but I thought I'd ask in any case.

Am traveling on QF J class on an award ticket through to YHZ from SYD.
I am happy with J on QF to LAX but then I transfer to AA J on the 'midnight horror' to JFK. Is there any way I am able to pay to upgrade the LAX-JFK J class portion to F class?

I have a 16 hour transit in LA and would like to live it up and therefore try enjoy a good sleep on the LAX-JFK sector.

Thanks in advance.

CJ
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
CJ, have you checked the coupon connection? Does AA have a similar system to UA to allow you to upgrade with a certificate/coupon?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
No, they won't let you upgrade. Why do you have a 16-hour layover? Is that all that was available for an award ticket?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
My question is...

what are you going to do in LA for 16 hours? Hope you'll leave the airport and hit town.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by the phoenix
My question is...

what are you going to do in LA for 16 hours? Hope you'll leave the airport and hit town.
So much vacuous, superficial, bland, cookie-cutter awfulness.
So little time..
<ducking>
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:51 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
So little time..
<ducking>
LA or FT?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What days do they allow visiting hours for Paris Hilton?

Originally Posted by JonNYC
So little time..
<ducking>
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by JDiver
What days do they allow visiting hours for Paris Hilton?
Wish I knew!

Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many moons ago you'd have been able to pay the difference between full fare J and full fare F (~$400 now), regardless of how you got in J (e.g., upgrade). They put the kibbosh on that a while ago.

Now, if your award ticket is for J, you will fly in J.

Unless you are on the way to band camp.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Hey

Thanks for the comments.

Hi BB, not sure if I can do this using AA vouchers or if UG vouchers even exist? If they do exist and they allow award bookings to be upgraded with vouchers I's till have to find someone with AA vouchers willing to trade!

Yes was only award seat available, to answer one question, and yes, I am leaving the airport...never been to LAX and was told this was ample time to see all that was worth seeing.

There are day tours that operate from LAX for layover pax. They last about 5 hrs then Ill loiter aimlessly in LA before heading back for red eye.

Paris some of u suggest..I wouldn't waste the O2 or risk polluting the world with the CO2 emissions it would take to get to her!

Cheers CJ

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Jun 20, 2007 at 10:07 pm
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Hi BB, not sure if I can do this using AA vouchers or if UG vouchers even exist?
As noted in the several subsequent posts, AA does not issue upgrade vouchers that can be used for award tickets, nor do they issue vouchers that can be used on partner airlines.

Mike
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:05 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
and yes, I am leaving the airport...never been to LAX and was told this was ample time to see all that was worth seeing.
Just like you can't see Sydney in a day or four, there is no way you can see Los Angeles in a day either. I'd head over to the Los Angeles forum where this has been discussed countless times about what to do on a layover.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Just like you can't see Sydney in a day or four, there is no way you can see Los Angeles in a day either. I'd head over to the Los Angeles forum where this has been discussed countless times about what to do on a layover.
Thanks mate and agreed. It's only 16 hrs take away about 5 in customs clearance and getting back to airport. I meant I would see the very famous attractions LA is known for; Hollywood, beaches, etc etc.

So it will be a welcome albeit brief intro to LAX.^

CJ
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:59 am
Suspended

I am not sure what flight the OP take from SYD-LAX, but he should checkout whether QF can release an U Class seat fro 107 LAX-JFK whcih he can take as he is on a QF service to LAX.

Ideally I would recommend taking 107 all the way direct from SYD-JFK, but of course getting U class from SYD-LAX is hard.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
I am not sure what flight the OP take from SYD-LAX, but he should checkout whether QF can release an U Class seat fro 107 LAX-JFK whcih he can take as he is on a QF service to LAX.

Ideally I would recommend taking 107 all the way direct from SYD-JFK, but of course getting U class from SYD-LAX is hard.
The OP also can ask AA to put him on an earlier connection once he arrives at LAX, which they may very well do if they have the space available, but it sounds like he's looking forward to spending some time checking out LA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.