Change to a DONE4 - now booked in F

Old Jun 20, 07, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Change to a DONE4 - now booked in F

Hi all
In order to ensure I maximised my earning on my upcoming DONE4 I just switched one of my JAL flights to AA (JFK-NRT) and my other to CX (NRT-HKG). My DONE4 is ticketed by CX. I am currently AA Plat but will hit EXP during this trip - about 10 days before my JFK-NRT flight.
I emailed the TA in the US (I am Oz based but used our US corp TA to book the trip as QF refused to book it) asking how hard it would be to get AA to ticket it so that I could upgrade from J -> F using one my eVIPs which I wil get when I hit EXP.
The TA emailed back saying that they had spoken to the AA RTW desk who said that it could be reissued during the trip to be on AA stock so that an eVIP can be used. I realise that will probably incur the US$125 reissue fee (not a major drama at this point as I just want this trip to work smoothly - 49K miles flown on the BEHEMOTH).
Realising the change in flights I jumped onto AA.com to check seat assignments and for my flight AA167 I am now in 3A - which is in F. It seems like a perfect F seat - single window/aisle seat towards the back for FEBO. What I dont understand is why I am in F already. I havent applied an eVIP (I dont have any yet).
Should I just leave this and wait and see what happens? I am having the ticket reiussed by CX on departure anyway as I have changed the flights (I might head to the airport and do it before the flight anyway).
It is just strange that I have been allocated 3A in F when I should be in J. Any suggestions of what I should do?
Cheers
S
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Simon Granville View Post
<redacted by moderator for perpetuating now deleted post>
I somehow doubt this is the kind of input the OP was seeking.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 07 at 7:34 pm
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Actually JonNYC for other reasons that reply is very interesting and somewhat disturbing.

I would pay the $125 myself in this case.
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ignoring all the smoke, I would say that it is clearly a mistake, and one that is likely to be corrected some time between now and check-in. It might be worth 'fessing up to AA and getting the upgrade processed properly now so you don't run into any problems. Although now that I re-read your post, you don't have the VIPs and won't get them until shortly before you fly the segment you want to upgrade. Keep in mind that there will be a delay between (1) when you take your EXP-qualifying flight, (2) when the flight posts, and (3) when the VIPs are awarded. 10 days will be cutting it close, particularly if your qualifying flight is on a partner airline (takes longer to post).
Others can share more specifics, it was 2 years ago for me the (first and) last time I qualified for EXP
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:19 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Talmudic opinions aside, I would not trust AA to honor the A seat allocation absent a reissue - it may just be a glitch in the system. But first I'd check to see if J is fully booked on that flight and you've been op-upped without your knowledge or consent .

What's your travel date? Somebody can look up availability.
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

July 30 - I checked on expertflyer and I think it was D6/A6 a couple of days ago.

My qualifying flight for EXP will be on July 21 - so in fact it is 9 days and its a BA flight. I guess I should resign myself to the J seat and the elite bonus
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Perhaps the OP should hold the F seat until he receives the eVIPs and then 'fess up?
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simon Granville View Post
<redacted by moderator for perpetuating now deleted post
Just for clarity my options would be to take a direct return flight which would minimise my travel journey. The additional cost for this would be up to $4,000 on a large number of my journeys. Not sure what additional cost I am incurring on my trips - this $125 fee aside which I would pay myself.

In addition by investigating these more complex travel types I have been able to assist other people travelling in minimising their cost of travel - probably in the region of $20K this year. In addition I am sat on a $300 QF voucher for lack of IFE which will be used for company travel as it is of no use to me.

The mileage runs are done on my own time. Other journeys that I have done suchas trips to Cyprus are completely transparent with my boss who is happy for these things to happen as he knows then when I asked I will do more travel than originally planned.

And there it is, I have been baited by someone trolling and posting in an effort to get me to react - bad simongr

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 07 at 7:35 pm
Old Jun 20, 07, 7:21 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
I think you will find AAs premium cabins on NRT-the states are pretty lean on bookings at present.I am going BNE-NRT-JFK in december.For the first time I could not get any D availability on JL but on AA flights every day I looked not a seat assigned in J.Maybe everyone giving JL a go now they have joined oneworld?
Last year Mrsdrron and I were on AA business oneworld awards and NRT-LAX were upgraded to first and at that stage no status at all.Maybe a lot of Explats and plats in coach who want to be upgraded to J?
Like you I am disturbed at the poster having a go at you.The name does sound a little suspicious.
Old Jun 20, 07, 7:21 pm

Whatever happened to professional courtesy among guys named Simon G. anyway?
Old Jun 20, 07, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Umm - it's something a little more strange than that Night Flyer

Last edited by simongr; Jun 20, 07 at 7:27 pm Reason: Something weird is going on :(
Old Jun 20, 07, 7:42 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not use miles (25k (edited - I checked aa.com)) and be done with all the suspense now. Perhps AA has already done this - which explains the current seating assignment in F.
Old Jun 20, 07, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

I am saving miles for a J RTW trip for mrssimongr and I (I only have 270K points and will hit around 380 on this next trip) - it's not mission critical to me to be in F - a nice bonus if I can get it, just strange how the seat has been allocated.

I guess it's just a weird day for me - not just the seat but the posts in this thread
Old Jun 20, 07, 7:50 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simongr View Post
I am saving miles for a J RTW trip for mrssimongr and I (I only have 270K points and will hit around 380 on this next trip) - it's not mission critical to me to be in F - a nice bonus if I can get it, just strange how the seat has been allocated.

I guess it's just a weird day for me - not just the seat but the posts in this thread
Fair enough. Always good to have goals for the miles.
Old Jun 20, 07, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Yeah - the main benefit being for mrssimongr so that she can get some reward for having had to be at home alone whilst I was galavanting around the world.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts/comments all of them useful in their way. I shall leave it for now and once I hit EXP I will call the EXP line - working on the assumption that when it is reticketed by CX it will either drop out or somethign else will put things back as they should be. If I get a "bad" J seat on the flight (through ot being able to use an eVIP) I will just watch some stuff on the laptop and do a little work.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: