Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011)

ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 29, 12, 8:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
MODERATOR NOTE

THIS PROGRAM ENDED 30 NOV 2011 - see the new thread linked to below for current information.
● The terms of the undocumented lifetime status million miles from any / all sources program ended 30 Nov 2011; please read the new
AAdvantage® Million Miler Program Launched on 1 Dec 2011 for the current terms and conditions.

● To shout out how you made 1MM, 2MM or even more under the new program, please share in:
Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum with NEW Million Miler Program! (>1 Dec 2011)
American AAdvantage Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 1, 07, 8:29 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Congrats! Not sure I would have made it to 1 mil if not for FT.

(1,621,353 to date)

Last edited by pushback; Nov 1, 07 at 8:43 pm
Old Nov 1, 07, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Congrats !

Congratulations ! Maybe its even more a reason for that since you got it the hard way, as a leisure flyer and completely on your own dime ^

Do you have a plan how to skip the MM mark?

If not flying (and for this flight I would make sure I“m in F) then I would spend the miles difference on a dinner or something special !

Do you want to have this moment that took you 13 years pass away while paying at WalMart?
Old Nov 1, 07, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Ironically, I want to spend my last miles to put me over (sometime at the end of the year) buying a 40oz bottle of Miller High Life. I think it would be fitting that my 1 millionth mile comes from something called the High Life...
Old Nov 1, 07, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
my millionth mile comes monday morning from SNA to DFW. I hope they stock extra champagne.
Old Nov 1, 07, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Congratulations! Please keep us posted on the 183 mile countdown towards the 1 million mile mark.
Old Nov 2, 07, 7:20 am

Programs: AA 35% to 1MM; MR Silver Elite
Congratulatoins, that's quite a feat. I suppose there's hope for me yet.
Old Nov 2, 07, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Plat (Lifetime Gold), Hilton Honors Plata, Avis PFD
I too must say thanks to the FT community. I'm only at 643K, but considering I was at 50K 4 years ago, I've done better then I thought. A special thanks to Tom911, brp, and JonNYC for all the knowledge they've shared with us.
Old Nov 2, 07, 8:47 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Congratulations, Professor.

Paraphrasing a fictional prof of some reknown: You made your miles the old-fashioned way: you earned them. You deserve a hand. A good hand, given your handle.

I went back to determine when I wrote something similar and see that it was May 25, 2005 when I passed the magical (and once-thought mythical) million miles. I mean, c'mon, before then I'd have said: "A million miles? That's like flying around the world 40 times. You'd have to be crazy." And it had taken 19 years and the demise of TWA to put that many miles in my AAcount.

Crazy I must be, because as of today, two and half years later, the tally is just shy of 1.8 million (1,796,875 to be exact) and "No" I didn't fly another 30 r-t-w's. It's not that impressive: staying EXP year after year adds at least 200,000 miles per, and then there're the rent-a-cars and Starwood point dumps and dining out, but it's really the ease, not the difficulty, of piling up these points that strikes me the most.

I'd be remiss to say that without the occasional visit here it would have been impossible. This is a profitable place on more than one level. Entertaining? Sure. Infuriating? Sometimes. And pretty darn helpful time and again.

So all the rest of you pat yourselves on the back, too.
Old Nov 2, 07, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Bostom View Post
Crazy I must be, because as of today, two and half years later, the tally is just shy of 1.8 million (1,796,875 to be exact) and "No" I didn't fly another 30 r-t-w's. It's not that impressive: staying EXP year after year adds at least 200,000 miles per, and then there're the rent-a-cars and Starwood point dumps and dining out, but it's really the ease, not the difficulty, of piling up these points that strikes me the most.
Since you mention SPG points and rental car miles....if your rental car company allows crediting your rental to SPG, you may want to do that instead of getting AAdvantage miles. For example with Avis, they both earn 50 points/miles per day. Plus, there is no FF miles tax when earning SPG points! You'll get more flexibility in which program you choose to use the points/miles, and if you transfer to AA, you'll get the 25% bonus with lots of 20,000 SPG points to AAdvantage miles transfers
Old Nov 2, 07, 8:59 am

Programs: AA-1MM, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by atxtraveler View Post
Ironically, I want to spend my last miles to put me over (sometime at the end of the year) buying a 40oz bottle of Miller High Life. I think it would be fitting that my 1 millionth mile comes from something called the High Life...
INDEED! Hope you can find a place that sells 40oz and takes credit cards. There aren't too many of those where I live. Even if you find one there might be a $10 minimum so you might have to share the high life....Congrats to all. I'm only at about 850K....
Old Nov 2, 07, 9:06 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
What more can I say?

I dunno, for now I'm speechless but gimme time and I'll think of something.

Seriously, Mileslave's post is a perfect example of that which we speak: information that's of value. Merci. Gracias. Danke.

One question (not that you need to jump back) but do SW have do the kind of bonuses I almost always find from AAdvantage? Getting the 750 bonus miles, or double or triple miles, OR THE WONDERFUL AVIS OFFER LAST YEAR BASED ON HOW LONG YOU WERE AN AADVANTAGE MEMBER - THANK YOU AVIS - has become sort of addictive. Does Starwood ever do something similar?
Old Nov 2, 07, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1.95 MM
I went through some junk/records I had filed so I can piece together some milestones on how I did it.

I joined AAdvantage on June 23, 1992 mostly because I was planning backpacking trip to Europe during christmas break. I joined all of the major programs at that time because price was going to determine what flight and airline I took. I did not fly AA then. My first AA flight was on Sept 8, 1995. It was a $100 rt "courier flight" JFK-LHR, this is how I got started with AA as I took 3 more trips to Europe this way with the courier company using AA each time and I got miles on 3 of 4 trips. So to pool miles the loyalty program worked like AA wanted it too. All because a company in NYC used AA. Then to seal the deal in late 1998? there was a strike. Just after the settlement AA offered a very short window of double miles and double elite miles. So i grabbed a $280 rt base fare CLE-BRU for a long weekend, that got me Plat for the first time. Lastly in 99/00 found FT, my first account here was lost due to a forgot password and old dead email.

And from the there many long weekends to Europe, numerous trips to Vegas (yes I do play), adding of segments when logical, and a very small number of late year mileage runs only if needed to get to 1MM.

Also good job to the others who are on the edge or just over the mark.
Thanks again
David

Last edited by Poker Professor; Nov 2, 07 at 4:13 pm Reason: one more thought, syntax
Old Nov 2, 07, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Poker Professor View Post
My first AA flight was on Sept 8, 1995. It was a $100 rt "courier flight" JFK-LHR, this is how I got started with AA as I took 3 more trips to Europe this way and and the courier company used AA each time and I got miles on 3 of 4 trips.

I'm surprised you got miles for courier flights! These days, courier tickets are probably issued in some weird booking class that do not earn miles.
Old Nov 2, 07, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1.95 MM
Originally Posted by Bostom View Post
Paraphrasing a fictional prof of some reknown: You made your miles the old-fashioned way: you earned them. .

Invoking Professor Kingsfield nice

In tribute: I came here with a skull full of mush and I leave thinking like a frequent flyer.

Thanks to those who think I earned them I feel that way. Value was the key to my quest. I feel I did my best in that respect. I would have got there a bit faster if I set value aside from time to time, but that would have defeated the purpose... for me. I feel good I never spent more than $580 all-in many transatlantic flights $440 or less. I just wanted to a small amount of detail to any other casual flyer that it can be done.

That said I have high respect for business flyers, explicitly those 80-100k and more. They fly for a living, large part of their job or own small business. All of the above earn their miles, just all in different ways and for different reasons.

I hope the true spirit of FT endures and we can all learn from each other no matter what our goals are.

Last edited by Poker Professor; Nov 2, 07 at 9:13 pm
Old Nov 13, 07, 5:19 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Today is My Day 1MM and Lifetime Gold

Thank you FT for all your help.

I joined Aadvantage in September 2000 and never flew them much as was in a NW predominant city and earned 1.3 million total program miles with them.

Then the "roach choice" program at NW and I defected to all the other airlines based on the current promotion available.

But this lifetime thing with all miles counting kept haunting me. Could I make it? I flew the promos ie: any two from NY to FLA, DAL to ???, ORD to out west, starting using a Starwood card, kept using the idine "thingy" and here we are.

The last biggies to send me over the top: ORD-LAX 2 times for 25K. I did it twice. A starwood transfer 50K AA, Goldpoints transfer (from shutterfly) 21K and the rewards network 20 miles per dollar with "rate a dine" and 5 mile bonus. (I bought a $600 gift card from Aunt Chiladas, best grilled wings on the island)

In retrospect, I wish I had started with AA and it would be lifetime Plat by now. And as the "old guy" (57), my advice to the youngsters here: Think about AA. They aren't going anywhere and you'll have a lifetime of benenfits.

And FT, you are the best group of online folks to hang with.

On to 2MM

Ingy

PS My own dime

Search this Thread
Search Engine: