FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/704796-archive-made-lifetime-gold-platinum-million-miles-brag-etc-ended-30-nov-2011-a.html)

SuperBuck27 Jun 6, 2007 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by steve32 (Post 7861304)
I agree. My "celebration" occured in released anticipation and over the lunch I was sharing with a friend for the projected transaction that put me over the hump. (And he offered to join me for lunch, offering to pay me cash so I could put it all on my CC for the miles, even though he chuckles at my focus on that; though the real reason for his asking to join me was to go over coordinating ourselves for me to help him work on his sailboat, winching his butt to the top of his mast).

My disappointment is directed more at the fact that American Airlines/ AAdvantage Marketing doesn't look like they are trying very hard in their customer service role. It doesn't take much to spruce up the language of a congradulatory e-mail when you have an entire department that is supposed to be dedicated to that kind of thing. They have been at it for 26 years now, and that's the best they can come up with?

Yes, the milestone is not as exceptional as it was in the 80's, but I'll bet they said it better back then. Why should they pare it down all the way to what it is now?

I want AA/AAdvantage to do well enough to be able to enjoy my lifetime benefits for a long lifetime. Their apparant lack of enthusiasm doesn't inspire a lot of enthusiasm from their customers, which is contrary to that goal which we should be sharing.

Just sharing my thoughts. Please do so too.

Steve

Rapidly approaching 2mm and looking forward to my love letter from AA. :)

aamilesslave Jun 6, 2007 3:45 pm

All I care about is lifetime status, stickers, and VIPs.

The sooner I can get to lifetime PLT, I won't have to worry about buying vs. using miles in years when I'm not on the road to EXP (travel fluctuates for me).

That's what I care about...not a letter printed on cheap paper.

kboo Jun 6, 2007 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave (Post 7861446)
All I care about is lifetime status, stickers, and VIPs.

The sooner I can get to lifetime PLT, I won't have to worry about buying vs. using miles in years when I'm not on the road to EXP (travel fluctuates for me).

That's what I care about...not a letter printed on cheap paper.

I agree! 1MM in February, and I'm 1/10th of the way to 2MM already.

lalala Jun 6, 2007 4:52 pm

The happiest day of my AA life, other than hitting EXP for the first time was hitting 2MM last November.

Lifetime PLT for now is quite an achievement for me. Most of my miles are BIS and then my PLT/EXP bonus, not too many promotions work for SEA-based fliers.

Now, I just book who I want to go where I want instead of looking at AA's schedule.

lala

JDiver Jun 6, 2007 5:39 pm

In my opinion, most folks who cross a million miles ever earned threshold probably have no clue 1) they did, 2) it is meaningful in any way, and 3) have less of a clue they earned lifetime status of any kind, much less 500 mile upgrades. Only a few are among the truly obsessed and are aware... so while we may find the verbiage parsimonious and colorless, I suspect the unknowing / surprised might actually like it.

Even some AA employees are not so clued - at BWI, where I suspect they don't have the number of eggsplats pas through as, say, IAD, one employee of some years' duration saw my card and exclaimed "Wow! 3 million miles - that's a serious achievement!" 'Tis obvious he never browsed these pages, where we have at least one member with 16M.

BTW, congratulations, Steve! The next M comes easier, and with nicer gifts (the 4 VIPs.)

rrgg Jun 7, 2007 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater (Post 7860747)
I guess a bit more ra ra would have been helpful

Shouldn't we just be glad the program exists?

aprutherford Jun 7, 2007 12:04 pm

I'd still like to know how he did this in such a short period of time.......

ayton Jun 16, 2007 4:18 am

I just made 1M / 2M miles - Gold / Platinum for life! shout and brag master thread

hey, not an EXP qual post, but just crossed 1MM! Hurrah! (Now the race is on to beat my father to 2mm. He's got a 200k head start on me!)

also, since there was a segment chat a little while ago, last year I made EXP all ways, Segments, EQM and EQP. And all of it in paid coach with no COS bonus. Whew. (actually picked up the 125k exp bonus, too, but my SO ate up the free eVips.)

looking on point for a repeat this year. man the eVips as sweet. Considered "residing" in london for the week I crossed 1mm to get more, but honestly felt a little excessive. (however, my conversation with the EXP line agent was funny.
Me: Why do I need 8 extra stickers for 1mm? I get them for free??
CSR: Well, you can use them for your spouse or children?
Me: I don't have a spouse. I don't have children. I don't know anyone I'd even like to have sit next to me!! Come on?!
CSR: ::laughing:: Lemme see what I can do.

(in the end I didn't get anything for the effort, but at least the CSR tried!)

ooookay, looks like I've rambled on a bit too much.

adios.

JDiver Jun 16, 2007 7:53 pm

Congratulations, ayton!

The good news and the bad news" the Gold glimmer will last as long as you do / the program does. ;)

(I hijacked your thread and made it into a master thread for others who make 1M / 2M (you will do that more rapidly than you made 2M, I suspect,) and linked it to the Unofficial Users' Guide.)

The Actual Million Miles Benefits thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576276 and we might do some transferring of pure "I made it" posts here.

JDiver Jun 16, 2007 8:46 pm

I thought of that, but then that thread is really about the benefits, this one is for the occasional member who needs to let us know they have crossed the line, er, threshold. I might skulk that thread to see if there are any brag posts that should be merged into this one, however - we can keep an eye and see if it works. Thanks!

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 7913950)
better to merge with the other million mile master thread, No?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=million+miles

LGAJFK Jun 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Can we have sticky threads for the following?

Just reached 0.5MM (halfway to LT GLD)

Just reached 0.25MM (a quarter of the way to LT GLD)

Just reached 1.5MM (halfway to LT PLT after reaching LT GLD)

etc.

BTW, I'm so excited about making GLD, even if it's not LT.

JDiver Jun 16, 2007 9:27 pm

Sure - we can devote the first three pages to stickies. Not! :D

Gold is a great start - but now, you may find yourself jonesing for more miles and status.

Originally Posted by LGAJFK (Post 7913966)
Can we have sticky threads for the following?

<snip>

AA4LIFE Jun 19, 2007 8:26 pm

Thank You FT - Hit the 1st MM

Program to Date Miles: 1,002,017

I wanted to give a big thank you to everyone on FT, especially the AA board. I do not remember how I stumbled on the site, but once I started lurking I was hooked. I started in '05 with 245,000 miles. I learned the ins and outs and started going on mileage and segment runs. I started '06 with 423,000 miles. I went on the DFW/DAL fly3's and other runs and earned 346,000 miles that year to end with 769,000. Now, I am EXP and have crossed the 1st mm all thanks to everyone here.

Keep on Flying ^

LGAJFK Jun 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by AA4LIFE (Post 7929240)
Program to Date Miles: 1,002,017

I wanted to give a big thank you to everyone on FT, especially the AA board. I do not remember how I stumbled on the site, but once I started lurking I was hooked. I started in '05 with 245,000 miles. I learned the ins and outs and started going on mileage and segment runs. I started '06 with 423,000 miles. I went on the DFW/DAL fly3's and other runs and earned 346,000 miles that year to end with 769,000. Now, I am EXP and have crossed the 1st mm all thanks to everyone here.

Keep on Flying ^

Be prepared for many posts like the following:

"Please be sure to let us know periodically of your progress towards 2MM. We're breathlessly awaiting news of each milestone!" :D

But don't let the curmudgeons get you down; this is the new FT, where civility trumps content. And seriously, congratulations!

JDiver Jun 19, 2007 9:05 pm

One more AAdict! ;) Congratulations, AA4LIFE.