Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011)

ARCHIVE: Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum! million miles - brag etc. (ended 30 Nov 2011)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 29, 12, 8:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
MODERATOR NOTE

THIS PROGRAM ENDED 30 NOV 2011 - see the new thread linked to below for current information.
● The terms of the undocumented lifetime status million miles from any / all sources program ended 30 Nov 2011; please read the new
AAdvantage® Million Miler Program Launched on 1 Dec 2011 for the current terms and conditions.

● To shout out how you made 1MM, 2MM or even more under the new program, please share in:
Made Lifetime Gold / Platinum with NEW Million Miler Program! (>1 Dec 2011)
American AAdvantage Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Old May 11, 07, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
My mother received her packet from AA in the mail yesterday (May10, 2007). Her packet included a new Platinum card with her two-million mile status, two luggage tags, and a letter. The letter said that she would soon have four electronic one-way system wide upgrades deposited into her account. I checked and her upgrades are not yet there.

She crossed the two-million mile threshold on April 23, 2007.

Last edited by FlyForFun; May 11, 07 at 9:50 am Reason: duplicate wording
Old May 11, 07, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlyForFun View Post
My mother received her packet from AA in the mail yesterday (May10, 2007). Her packet included a new Platinum card with her two-million mile status, two luggage tags, and a letter. The letter said that she would soon have four electronic one-way system wide upgrades deposited into her account. I checked and her upgrades are not yet there.

She crossed the two-million mile threshold on April 23, 2007.
So, looks like a couple of weeks. Cool!
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Exclamation Disappointing E-mail Language About 1MM

Dear Steve32,

Congratulations on reaching the Million Miler level!

Whether you eagerly awaited this achievement or didn't realize it occurred, I want you to know that we think it's an accomplishment to celebrate. In just a few weeks you'll receive a new elite membership card that acknowledges your Million Miler status - plus some other gifts we think you'll enjoy.

Every one of the 1,000,000 AAdvantage miles you've earned is an indication of your support, and we thank you for your commitment to American Airlines and the AAdvantage program.

Yours Truly,

Kurt Stache
President
AAdvantage Marketing Programs
Just think this is pretty subdued language for "celebrating".

Of course I have noooooo clue whatever he may mean about "some other gifts."

Steve
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by steve32 View Post
Just think this is pretty subdued language for "celebrating".
Not quite sure what you were expecting ... trumpets and cheerleaders?

Of course I have noooooo clue whatever he may mean about "some other gifts."
I'm sure you know it's 8 stickers and the 1MM tags.

[Edited to add:] Wouldn't it have been more logical to post this in the other 1MM thread?

Last edited by vasantn; Jun 6, 07 at 2:08 pm Reason: puzzlement
Old Jun 6, 07, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hilton Gold, Gold SPG, AS 75K, QR PLT
Well, I agree with Steve32 a bit

The whether or not you realized it part is pretty pathetic. It is a milestone and if you don't act as it it matters as the company, your customers will realize it does not matter either...

I guess a bit more ra ra would have been helpful
Old Jun 6, 07, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
congratulations, btw! it's been quite a year for you. will you be able to do the second million quicker?
Old Jun 6, 07, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Not unless a "miracle" (i.e. cheese I can actually find, or pudding, or other fantastic deal) falls into our/my laps.

Steve
Old Jun 6, 07, 2:20 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Deltahater View Post
Well, I agree with Steve32 a bit

The whether or not you realized it part is pretty pathetic. It is a milestone and if you don't act as it it matters as the company, your customers will realize it does not matter either...

I guess a bit more ra ra would have been helpful
Absolutely. If only we were privy to what's really happening on Amon Carter Blvd as a result of this post:

Memo to AA form-letter staff: Please kiss the butts of brand-new MMers a bit more regarding their achieving lifetime GLD, et cetera. Some people take this stuff more seriously than others.
Old Jun 6, 07, 2:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Not unless a "miracle" (i.e. cheese I can actually find, or pudding, or other fantastic deal) falls into our/my laps.

Steve
Hey, you're already 0.3% of the way there

As for the letter, 2MM isn't much better. I'm more interested in the gifts than the ersatz hoopla anyway, so they could bypass it completely and give me a $0.41 voucher instead. You know what you achieved, and that's what should matter (that and the stickers )

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 07, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I remember that the old letters used to say something like: "Congratulations! You have reached a milestone in the AAdvantage program that few travelers ever will."

Now THAT sounds poetic!
Old Jun 6, 07, 2:38 pm
Suspended

i think the lAAnguAAge could be AA bit more upbeAAt.
Old Jun 6, 07, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
I remember that the old letters used to say something like: "Congratulations! You have reached a milestone in the AAdvantage program that few travelers ever will."

Now THAT sounds poetic!
Well, it's getting easier to achieve the million miles status... so perhaps that's not true anymore.

I'm not sure I'd think twice about the email language. It's not as if the airline were my girlfriend with a message about our anniversary. Of course, different people have varying levels of relationships with the airline -- so they have to strike a balancing act.

Of course, I say this now... because I only have 290K lifetime miles. I'll probably be more excited when I actually start getting close. My boss, however, is a MM... he couldn't care less about it. Almost as if he didn't even notice that he was. I wonder if he threw away the gifts as if they were junk mail even. Then again, he is flight weary. He lets his kids raid his FF accounts for lavish vacations and has lost all joy in travel.
Old Jun 6, 07, 2:45 pm

Steve
While the statement is a bit lame but your accomplishment isn't. Going from 61k to 1MM in 18 months, hmm, i would like to do that as well any secrets
Old Jun 6, 07, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by maddjake View Post
It's not as if the airline were my girlfriend with a message about our anniversary. Of course, different people have varying levels of relationships with the airline -- so they have to strike a balancing act.
LOL - well said!
Old Jun 6, 07, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by brp View Post
Hey, you're already 0.3% of the way there

As for the letter, 2MM isn't much better. I'm more interested in the gifts than the ersatz hoopla anyway, so they could bypass it completely and give me a $0.41 voucher instead. You know what you achieved, and that's what should matter (that and the stickers )

Cheers.
I agree. My "celebration" occured in released anticipation and over the lunch I was sharing with a friend for the projected transaction that put me over the hump. (And he offered to join me for lunch, offering to pay me cash so I could put it all on my CC for the miles, even though he chuckles at my focus on that; though the real reason for his asking to join me was to go over coordinating ourselves for me to help him work on his sailboat, winching his butt to the top of his mast).

My disappointment is directed more at the fact that American Airlines/ AAdvantage Marketing doesn't look like they are trying very hard in their customer service role. It doesn't take much to spruce up the language of a congradulatory e-mail when you have an entire department that is supposed to be dedicated to that kind of thing. They have been at it for 26 years now, and that's the best they can come up with?

Yes, the milestone is not as exceptional as it was in the 80's, but I'll bet they said it better back then. Why should they pare it down all the way to what it is now?

I want AA/AAdvantage to do well enough to be able to enjoy my lifetime benefits for a long lifetime. Their apparant lack of enthusiasm doesn't inspire a lot of enthusiasm from their customers, which is contrary to that goal which we should be sharing.

Just sharing my thoughts. Please do so too.

Steve

Search this Thread
Search Engine: